The Student Room Group

How often do you walk your dog? (with poll)

Poll

How often do you walk your dog?

And how far do you go?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Voted. About 2-3 times a day, for up to half-hour at a time. And not necessarily walking either. I live next to a lot of open fields so they go off-lead a lot and spend a lot of the time running like crazy.
Reply 2
almost every day 30 mins minimum
30 mins a day
I have to walk my dog 5-6 times a day because he won't go in the back garden, he doesn't like being outside, he seems to be agoraphobic (he's a collie, so this seems very odd to me), i'm working on building up his confidence (his previous owners apparantly kept him outside constantly, he is a rescue dog).
I usually do one long walk, and 4-5 short ones, just so he can go to the toilet.
Me personally or in total? He gets taken out twice a day; once by my mum, once by either me or my brother.

Mum takes him for an hour-long off-lead walk over some fields near my house. He has a good run and she takes the ball flinger to tire him out with.

When I take him out, I take him for a good hour-long off-lead walk around the local woods. He absolutely loves it, and I do it near enough every other day. The woods are ~10 minutes away by car, so the dog goes nuts if he hears me opening my car.

If my brother takes him out, he just walks around the block and is probably out for about 10 minutes at most.
(edited 11 years ago)
Twice a day, everyday
I don't live with my partner now, but when I did, I took his dog for a run, (an actual run) every day for half an hour to an hour. Every time I visit I do this still, as he tends to not let her off the lead and just walk her slowly and I like to give her proper exercise.
My Dog doesn't really have a structured schedule. He gets one big walk a week, which is off lead for about an hour and a half. (He usually runs back and forth when off lead) He'll get 1-3 shorter walks during the week. But we don't walk him everyday because of the amount of time he spends in the garden. He runs around and gallops and chases things in the garden for about 2-3 hours EVERY day. He LOVES being outside, but since he's started doing this we've had to feed him twice as much, it's getting difficult to keep his weight up with all this running he's been doing.
Original post by beccagood95
But we don't walk him everyday because of the amount of time he spends in the garden. He runs around and gallops and chases things in the garden for about 2-3 hours EVERY day.

Is it possible he's going crazy in the garden because he's not being taken out? My dog does that if he's getting frustrated because he hasn't been on his walk yet. That, and chewing things.

Hence we tire him out with up to two one-hour walks a day.
Original post by TattyBoJangles
Is it possible he's going crazy in the garden because he's not being taken out? My dog does that if he's getting frustrated because he hasn't been on his walk yet. That, and chewing things.

Hence we tire him out with up to two one-hour walks a day.

He does this even if he's had long/multiple walks, we used to walk him twice a day, but since this running around we've had to cut it down.
I wouldn't say he's going CRAZY, he just likes to go out and chase birds, chase away the cats, sniff around the bushes and will sometimes invite me out to play fetch. In the summer, he refuses to eat inside, he only wants to eat outside.

He's an odd dog though.
(edited 11 years ago)
When we had dogs, they were walked once a day for 45 mins to a hour or so; they were small dogs and never had ridiculous amounts of energy. Eventually they got a bit old and didn't want to come out every day (and one had an unfortunate tendency to sit down mid walk and not move, meaning that I had to carry her), but they always had the opportunity to go out at least once a day.
Reply 12
I have a 15 year old German Shepherd who doesn't need walking anymore because she simply can't manage to go far. Sometimes we will take her for a short walk on a beach or something but she gets tired out very easily!
Ours is walked by my dad for about 20 minutes each morning, which is enough to tire him out for the rest of the day - he goes off the lead so runs around like crazy chasing the tennis balls Dad throws for him (or I throw for him if I take him out). He also sometimes gets longer walks at the weekend, and if I'm at home, I'll sometimes take him out for a longer walk as well.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
I walk my dog once a day for about half an hour (hes only small- king charles) but sometimes I walk him again in the afternoon for about an hour
Reply 15
they are walked 3 times a day, we live in the country so we walk them up our country lane and they can go off the lead and run in the fields/woods etc. ... it's about 15-30 mins for the walk in the morning and afternoon... then at night just before the last person goes to bed they are let out onto the road (off the lead) to go for a pee.

sorry voted 2 times in poll because i forgot about the night time one
We haven't had our own dog in about 3 years now but we foster for a local rescue.

The dogs get taken out for 20-40 minutes before work
1-2 hours after work
~30 minutes in the evening.

And lots of walks around the block if they need house training.

days off they get a walk around the block in the morning, a long walk (2-4 hours) at some point during the day and a walk around the block in the evening.
I'm glad everyone is walking their dogs lots, makes me happy. Healthy dog healthy owner :smile:
My dog gets taken for hour/two hour long walks every day up and down hills and gets tired out. Often if he gets a bit restless we'll take him out for a second shorter walk just around where we live. We also have a big garden and run him around in that.
Reply 19
I have two greyhounds who get two half-hour/45min walks a day. They're both off the lead and cut about happily so plenty walking for them.

They are getting on a bit now, though, and so longer walks aren't really as much of an option. In fact, they quite often gesture they want to head home. Weirdly, when it gets hotter I'll likely not be able to walk them as far as if it's particularly hot they just get knackered instantly. More than once I've had to carry a massive dog home after they've chased rabbits in the sun and worn themselves out... :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest