The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 940
Original post by Megan1234567
Let me ask you what to you think a "country" is?
To me a "country" is people of a nation waving their flag proudly in this case it's Scotland's not Britain's. we have the right to go separate .
your reply is meaningless not mine I am afraid ...

Once again, I'm left thinking "are you serious?". Really?

Nations are defined by flag-waving? Flags? Bits of fabric on a stick? For fuck's sake.

My national flag is the Union Jack, that doesn't mean I wouldn't fly the Scottish saltire at a rugby match or the like. Hell, I even have a City of Edinburgh flag for the same purpose.
England should call the Anglophobic League's bluff and go it alone first.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Midlander
England should call the Anglophobic League's bluff and go it alone first.

Why? That would involve a high degree of stupidity to be prevalent In England . Even more than it already exhibits.

But once again you're falling into the SNPs, Sinn Fein, plaid and any other insular viewpoint of identity politics.

You're ignoring the interconnected nature of the world. Increased costs for what? So somebody can wrap themselves in a flag and think their different and special.
Original post by MatureStudent36
Why? That would involve a high degree of stupidity to be prevalent In England . Even more than it already exhibits.

But once again you're falling into the SNPs, Sinn Fein, plaid and any other insular viewpoint of identity politics.

You're ignoring the interconnected nature of the world. Increased costs for what? So somebody can wrap themselves in a flag and think their different and special.

I was being facetious-considering it more of a thought experiment than actually advocating it. Suffice to say I don't think many Scots would see it coming.

WTF? The English won't let us do anything? What are you smoking brave heart? Have you got wode poisoning or something? Best mop your brow with some damp tartan soaked in pure scottish spring water to deal with the cringe.

we live in a democracy? By your logic the English, welsh and northern Irish should be up in arms about Blair and brown?

You are aware we live in a democracy. A democracy with devolved powers? I've currently got a first minister who is diametrically opposed to my viewpoints. Do you hear me moaning like a washer woman?

you'll need to explain how the English hold us back? We haven't been colonised by them or anything. It's people like you who are holding us back.

Well your argument regarding my travelling if i was to run into trouble good luck getting help of a Scottish embassy yeah? I was asking why wouldnt they be able to help?

Yes I do and Im sure people regard the union as a union of several countries and my entire country did not vote for what we've got.

Looks like the oil has a long future for us btw
http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/Releases/2013/03/oil-analysis11032013
I'm talking about the last timer the French befriended us. It wasn't out if friendship though. My enemys enemy is my friend. We were played by the French. Yet your harking back to a bygone era.

FFS it was just a little interesting fact......
Original post by L i b
Anyway, if you're suggesting the Herald is "unionist", I will happily laugh out loud.

Magnus Gardham was writing for the Daily Record only 6 months ago. Aren't they quite a strong unionist paper?

I watched newsnight scotland yesterday and John Swinney definitely came across a lot better than Willie Rennie.
Original post by L i b

Nations are defined by flag-waving? Flags? Bits of fabric on a stick? For ****'s sake.

My national flag is the Union Jack, that doesn't mean I wouldn't fly the Scottish saltire at a rugby match or the like. Hell, I even have a City of Edinburgh flag for the same purpose.

I'm surprised that TSR considers **** to be objectionable but in your post ****'s sake appears to be fine :smile:

EDIT - I see it's filtered in mine
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Left Hand Drive
Well your argument regarding my travelling if i was to run into trouble good luck getting help of a Scottish embassy yeah? I was asking why wouldnt they be able to help?

Because they may well not exist. Small countries (like Scotland would be) don't have embassies and consulates in huge numbers of countries, as the UK does. They cannot afford it and cannot justify it on the basis of the small numbers of their citizens going to those countries.

I note you still avoid the Shetlands questions. Are ashamed of your answer?
Original post by Left Hand Drive

Yes I do and Im sure people regard the union as a union of several countries and my entire country did not vote for what we've got.

Looks like the oil has a long future for us btw
http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/Releases/2013/03/oil-analysis11032013

My entire country? You mean our country surely. The one that's got it's elected MPs sat in cabinet at this very moment? Or do you mean when the other guys get in an we still get our MPs in cabinet.

yes. I saw the comments about the oil...... Published twenty four hours after the news of cuts to spending post independence.
Just in case you missed it.
http://m.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/snp-s-secret-plans-to-cut-spending-revealed-1-2822794

I tend to believe what politicians say in private rather than publis statements.

I guess they've learnt from the European entry debacle to at least have a piece of paper to show off this time.

i'll wait out until I know what the industry says.

but I know one thing for sure. Extraction costs are still rising and hence the increases in price. But those higher extraction costs result in less taxable revenues.

you still haven't told me your views on Shetland though? Can they go if they choose or must they stay?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by cowsforsale
Magnus Gardham was writing for the Daily Record only 6 months ago. Aren't they quite a strong unionist paper?

I watched newsnight scotland yesterday and John Swinney definitely came across a lot better than Willie Rennie.

Matter of opinion. The papers sell to there target market which appears to be 70% of the population. Well the tabloids at least. Others tend to be more impartial.

this seems to be rallying cry fir the SnP and its supporters to maintain the grief whoring of victim hood that they like to perpetuate

youre beginning to sound like one of the wierdos that post on the Scotsman comments board. I.e trying to highlight how great your politician is. I don't trust politicians of any persuasion.

but swinney just seemed to dodge awkward questions.
(edited 11 years ago)
Question for Scots: Why do more SNP members not get elected to Westminster?

Original post by Midlander
Question for Scots: Why do more SNP members not get elected to Westminster?

I'll let somebody else answer that one. Probably our very own braveheart. After all, he feels he speaks for all of us.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 953
Original post by L i b

Nations are defined by flag-waving? Flags? Bits of fabric on a stick? For ****'s sake.

Once again iam left thinking how rude can you be ? Stop trying to undermine people - you also won't win a debate with that language bit of maturity please? Thank you

Sorry but I don't think we are on the same page , you seem to lack passion about your point also can you answer WHY FLAGS EXIST THEN?

to define the country possible

look at it this why if we all had your Attitude we wouldn't get anywhere.
Reply 954
My nephew and I made a flag a few weeks ago. We have a culture, we have a history. We have an identity.

can we be a country/ nation?

This made me really laugh , for that I thank you ! However you must of not read the whole passage carefully enough I am afraid , as I said this was my opinion , you have yours - Scotland has a right to be separate if it wants to , we are not talking about anything else but this , so stay on the topic please , it has only thought for this for 300hundred years I am telling you what will be good for scotland and why we deserve it !
Matter of opinion. The papers sell to there target market which appears to be 70% of the population. Well the tabloids at least. Others tend to be more impartial.

this seems to be rallying cry fir the SnP and its supporters to maintain the grief whoring of victim hood that they like to perpetuate

youre beginning to sound like one of the wierdos that post on the Scotsman comments board. I.e trying to highlight how great your politician is. I don't trust politicians of any persuasion.

but swinney just seemed to dodge awkward questions.

I'm still going through this thread, reached about page 30, but it seems like most of the links you've posted have been from tabloid papers?
Anyway, on the bbc front from the other thread, they've actually admitted that they don't need to remain impartial.

What questions did he dodge? I'll re-watch it and look out for the specific points you will raise.

First you called me a member of the Yes crowd, now you're labelling me this. Anymore?

Don't the conservative party to play the victim card on the subject of the massive deficit? Seems like it every time I watch question time.
Reply 956
I'll let somebody else answer that one. Probably our very own braveheart. After all, he feels he speaks for all of us.

"Mature" student -whatever try be a bit mature ?
Once again iam left thinking how rude can you be ? Stop trying to undermine people - you also won't win a debate with that language bit of maturity please? Thank you

Sorry but I don't think we are on the same page , you seem to lack passion about your point also can you answer WHY FLAGS EXIST THEN?

to define the country possible

look at it this why if we all had your Attitude we wouldn't get anywhere.

He's covered this issue time and time again. Sadly seperation supporters have about three emotionally based arguments. Emotion shouldn't come into this.

I'm sure he'll apologise. But can you not raise issues related to a flag.
"Mature" student -whatever try be a bit mature ?

When he uses the word we. I'll spin it like that. So come on Megan. What's your answer to midlander a question.
it has only thought for this for 300hundred years

Presuming you mean "fought" and not "thought" which doesn't make sense, Scotland hasn't fought for independence for 300 years at all. Indepen dence has only been seriously mooted with some support behind it for a very short period (the SNP's first MP wasn't elected until 1970), there has been no fighting and, according to the polls, most Scots are against it. The union has only existed since 1707 (i.e. 306 years) so it is foolish in the extreme to talk about fighting for independence for 300 years.

Latest

Trending

Trending