The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Megan1234567
WHY FLAGS EXIST THEN?

to define the country possible

No. They symbolise the country; they certainly never define it.
Reply 961
Original post by MatureStudent36
He's covered this issue time and time again. Sadly seperation supporters have about three emotionally based arguments. Emotion shouldn't come into this.

I'm sure he'll apologise. But can you not raise issues related to a flag.

Apologise? Listen here , I am recently new to this site.I feel I have been criticised on whatever I say - I feel you's seem to talk down to people you feel is not right which I think makes you all feel some what more in-depth, however this just portrays you's as rude. I believe on what I have said is true. However I have nothing else to say, I am not here for an argument but to put a point across. I have my opinion and you have yours. Lets leave it at that.
Let me ask you what to you think a "country" is?
To me a "country" is people of a nation waving their flag proudly in this case it's Scotland's not Britain's. we have the right to go separate .
your reply is meaningless not mine I am afraid ...

Im sorry you feel that way. But can you not come out with idealistic things like this. Many Scots, and Lib is a prime example, can associate with more than one flag. Most people aren't bothered by such base instincts as nationalism. There's an awful lot of things more important to us than a rag on a pole.

just still haven't answered why the SNP don't get voted in at the national level. Should UKIP be more important as they're successful in the European Parliament?

and try to remember that Scotland has not been oppressed and fought for this. This is just nationalistic pie in the sky. Nobody has oppressed Scotland and we've benefitted immensely. As have all parts of the UK. We synergise each other.

we get a vote on this and its never been more than 30% that want it. We've been lied to however numerous times by members of the SNP.
(edited 11 years ago)
Apologise? Listen here , I am recently new to this site.I feel I have been criticised on whatever I say - I feel you's seem to talk down to people you feel is not right which I think makes you all feel some what more in-depth, however this just portrays you's as rude. I believe on what I have said is true. However I have nothing else to say, I am not here for an argument but to put a point across. I have my opinion and you have yours. Lets leave it at that.

Could you answer my question on the SNP re elected members at Westminster? I think I'm right in saying that most MPs from Scottish seats are Labour-why is this when there's a clear SNP majority in Holyrood?

It suggests that Scottish voters don't trust the SNP politicians to get anything done on a national level.
Reply 964
To be honest no. Let's have federal Europe.
Original post by Good bloke
Presuming you mean "fought" and not "thought" which doesn't make sense, Scotland hasn't fought for independence for 300 years at all. Indepen dence has only been seriously mooted with some support behind it for a very short period (the SNP's first MP wasn't elected until 1970), there has been no fighting and, according to the polls, most Scots are against it. The union has only existed since 1707 (i.e. 306 years) so it is foolish in the extreme to talk about fighting for independence for 300 years.

she meant fought. She must've mis understood the battle of sauchiehall street.

Unless she sympathises with Adam Busby and his band of throbbers.
Im sorry you feel that way. But can you not come out with idealistic things like this. Many Scots, and Lib is a prime example, can associate with more than one flag. Most people aren't bothered by such base instincts as nationalism. There's an awful lot of things more important to us than a rag on a pole.

just still haven't answered why the SNP don't get voted in at the national level. Should UKIP be more important as they're successful in the European Parliament?

and try to remember that Scotland has not been oppressed and fought for this. This is just nationalistic pie in the sky. Nobody has oppressed Scotland and we've benefitted immensely. As have all parts of the UK. We synergise each other.

Oh dear, ironic that you should bring up national level, the SNP don't get voted in. What does it matter? The views of the Scottish people aren't represented at "national" level anyways. Scotland does not get any say in electing government after government which impoverish thousands of Scots. This is shown by the fact the Scotland has not influenced an election since the 1970's. Basically, most of Scotland voted for Labour but has gotten whatever the rest of the UK voted for. Furthermore, 91% of Scottish MPs voted against the bedroom tax which will impoverish thousands of Scottish people, another classical example of Scotland isn't listened to in Westminster. So how do we benefit immensely from being part of the UK? Or not having control of our own country, control or own economy, our own policy. Why on earth would anybody not want to give our selves the chance to decide for ourselves what's best for us and build or own economy?

The only thing in favour of the UK is a blue white and red "rag" on a pole.
Reply 967
Original post by meenu89
Good for Salmond and his massive ego, bad for everyone else.

well its really stupid stupid
Reply 968
Original post by ConorWilson
Oh dear, ironic that you should bring up national level, the SNP don't get voted in. What does it matter? The views of the Scottish people aren't represented at "national" level anyways. Scotland does not get any say in electing government after government which impoverish thousands of Scots. This is shown by the fact the Scotland has not influenced an election since the 1970's. Basically, most of Scotland voted for Labour but has gotten whatever the rest of the UK voted for. Furthermore, 91% of Scottish MPs voted against the bedroom tax which will impoverish thousands of Scottish people, another classical example of Scotland isn't listened to in Westminster. So how do we benefit immensely from being part of the UK? Or not having control of our own country, control or own economy, our own policy. Why on earth would anybody not want to give our selves the chance to decide for ourselves what's best for us and build or own economy?

The only thing in favour of the UK is a blue white and red "rag" on a pole.

its not possitive is very negative
Original post by VonMiller
its not possitive is very negative

Its not negativity. It's paranoia.

scotland never gets listened to.

blair, brown, darling, dewar, cook, Alexander, Moore, Reid, Robinson.

all Scottish from what I can remember. Shall we take in the current scottish MPs representing English constituencies?

they'll never let facts get in the way of a good whinge.
Reply 970
Original post by Midlander
Could you answer my question on the SNP re elected members at Westminster? I think I'm right in saying that most MPs from Scottish seats are Labour-why is this when there's a clear SNP majority in Holyrood?

It suggests that Scottish voters don't trust the SNP politicians to get anything done on a national level.

No I can't sorry.. I am being honest I don't know , I'll repeat it again for effect I. Don't Know.

What I do know is that scotland has a different educational system

Different Laws

Going to repeat this again but different cultures

Different history

Its own parliament which it only got in 1998

I think we should have the right to make our own decisions as OUR OWM COUNTRY!
this is all I have to say about this. That's it. Done.
Its not negativity. It's paranoia.

scotland never gets listened to.

blair, brown, darling, dewar, cook, Alexander, Moore, Reid, Robinson.

all Scottish from what I can remember. Shall we take in the current scottish MPs representing English constituencies?

they'll never let facts get in the way of a good whinge.

The views of the Scottish people aren't represented in London, don't let the the facts I mentioned change that for you. Scotland has something like 60 mps - I forget the actual number. So naming Scottish Mps as you so intelligently done doesn't show in anyway that the views of the Scottish people are represented. As i said above 91% of Scottish Mps voted aginst the bedroom tax yet it still gets past. The only way to ensure that the Scottish people actually get a say in how our country is run is to vote for independence.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 972
Original post by Good bloke
Presuming you mean "fought" and not "thought" which doesn't make sense, Scotland hasn't fought for independence for 300 years at all. Indepen dence has only been seriously mooted with some support behind it for a very short period (the SNP's first MP wasn't elected until 1970), there has been no fighting and, according to the polls, most Scots are against it. The union has only existed since 1707 (i.e. 306 years) so it is foolish in the extreme to talk about fighting for independence for 300 years.

*fought Happy ?

read into your wars of independence history may I insist that Higher bitesize is useful material for you as I am sure you'll look into this :wink:
Original post by Midlander
Question for Scots: Why do more SNP members not get elected to Westminster?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Didn't they gain seats and have a swing towards them?
Original post by Left Hand Drive

I asked purely out of interest-any Scots care to verify?
Original post by ConorWilson
The views of the Scottish people aren't represented in London, don't let the the facts I mentioned change that for you. Scotland has something like 60 mps - I forget the actual number. So naming Scottish Mps as you so intelligently done doesn't show in anyway that the views of the Scottish people are represented. As i said above 91% of Scottish Mps voted aginst the bedroom tax yet it still gets past. The only way to ensure that the Scottish people actually get a say in how our country is run is to vote for independence.

You're close. 59 in total. 12 of which actually represent the current coalition government. When/if labour win the next general election we'll have 41 of those 59 in Government.

I wasn't just realing off names there. There were some major political hitters.

2 x Prime Ministers
2 x Chancellors of the exchequer.
1 x Foreign Secretary
2 Secretary for Defence
1 x Minister of Transport
1 x Foreign secretary
1 x Head of NATO

to name just a few. But lets not get facts get in the way.

Does Holyrood represent the views of Aberdeenshire. After all, they're a minority in Holyrood.

91% of Scottish MPs voted against the bedroom tax. 9% didn't. Do that 9% get ignored?

I hate to point to say it to you but we live in a democracy. Sometimes we don't get what we want.

I'm not massivly impressed with our cuts to college spending (Devolved). But guess what. It got through.

Still a minority though. His original question still stands.

Why can't you just answer his question. If the SNP are the Voice of Scotland, why did they get only 6 of the 59 seats.

I guess they're still not dancing to our tune.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1896237/Alex-Salmond-sets-20-seat-target-for-elections.html
(edited 11 years ago)
No I can't sorry.. I am being honest I don't know , I'll repeat it again for effect I. Don't Know.

Different Laws

Different history

Hmmm, well England has a more diverse mix of cultures, doesn't have its own parliament, and is far more economically powerful than the rest of the UK combined (specifically down to it being much more heavily populated).
As I semi-seriously said earlier, if any member of the UK should be pushing for a separation it should be England.

Only problem then is that certain members of the chip-on-shoulder community north of the border would play it as the greedy English deserting Scots. That is the only cultural difference between the two. Take watching 6 Nations rugby in a pub-if you're watching England v Italy in a Scottish pub, the locals are roaring their heads off for the Italians. If you're watching Scotland v Italy in an English pub, nobody really cares.
Reply 978

Different Laws

Different history

The thing is, that reasoning applies to loads of places all over the world. For example, in the USA each state has their own laws, their own education system, their own governments, their own taxation, their own culture to some extent.

The fact that we happen to call the parts of the UK countries and not states, provinces, regions, etc. is irrelevant.
FFS it was just a little interesting fact......

It wasn't an interesting fact. You were living in the past trying to portray the French as still being really close to us as if they're some long lost bezza.

They're not. Are you hoping they'll send the Legion in to help us rid ourselves of the nasty English?
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending