The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by qasidb
Who's the opposition?

Wolves
One United members can now apply for the home fixture vs Manchester City on Monday April 8 by calling 868 8000 or applying online at https://www.eticketing.co.uk/muticketsandmembership. Not that there's really a whole lot of point!
Original post by IanDangerously
One United members can now apply for the home fixture vs Manchester City on Monday April 8 by calling 868 8000 or applying online at https://www.eticketing.co.uk/muticketsandmembership. Not that there's really a whole lot of point!

I got lucky for Madrid, lightning strike twice? Surely not.....:tongue:
Zaha charged with improper conduct for sticking middle finger up

Rio not charged for his trip/push/stamp on Torres
Reply 1984
Original post by Tommyjw
Zaha charged with improper conduct for sticking middle finger up

Rio not charged for his trip/push/stamp on Torres

I found what Ferdinand did to Torres funny but ultimately strange. It was the wrong thing to do and since they had footage of him doing it clearly then he should have been punished because at the end of the day, it was the wrong thing to do.
You may see other players doing the same type of thing when the referees aren't looking being safe in the knowledge that they won't get punished. That's why I think Rio should have action taken against him for that moment of madness.
Original post by qasidb
I found what Ferdinand did to Torres funny but ultimately strange. It was the wrong thing to do and since they had footage of him doing it clearly then he should have been punished because at the end of the day, it was the wrong thing to do.
You may see other players doing the same type of thing when the referees aren't looking being safe in the knowledge that they won't get punished. That's why I think Rio should have action taken against him for that moment of madness.

Torres just took it. Kinda felt sorry for him, mainly because he didn't react, if that makes sense.
Original post by IanDangerously

The 'chubbed' text/email is just an absolute day-ruiner
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Torres just took it. Kinda felt sorry for him, mainly because he didn't react, if that makes sense.

This. Rio was an idiot for doing that, sometimes footballers baffle me......
Keane scored for Leicester again, 3rd goal now?

Part of the best defence in the goal (goals against wise), and they are really, really praising him over there.

If Liecester get promoted, be so good to have him spend a year there
Original post by Kenan and Kel

This, I felt sorry for him too. To be honest with you I don't think the Torres of Liverpool would've let Rio do that however, Torres is a broken man at the moment.
Original post by qasidb

Depends which way you look at it.

What Rio did was a yellow card offence.

When was the last time the FA punished someone like that, retrospectively, for a yellow card offence? There may well be one, but i certainly can't remember any. They are then setting a precedent which they would then have to follow

For the record, there's no way he should have been banned in my eyes, but a fine would have been reasonable.
Original post by pinda.college
This, I felt sorry for him too. To be honest with you I don't think the Torres of Liverpool would've let Rio do that however, Torres is a broken man at the moment.

I'll join in the sympathy for Torres and if you remember back to when he was at his peak at Liverpool, him and Rio had some tussles, words said, chest bumps exchanged and he didn't react or realise Rio had done it intentionally.

It would have been a yellow card unless he really booted him with his elbow to justify a red.

Ollie Holt of the Mirror - who had abit of a Twitter exchange with Rio in the past - is going to do a column about the issue, based on Rio not mentioning the incident I believe or something along those lines.
Reply 1992
Original post by Tommyjw
Depends which way you look at it.

What Rio did was a yellow card offence.

When was the last time the FA punished someone like that, retrospectively, for a yellow card offence? There may well be one, but i certainly can't remember any. They are then setting a precedent which they would then have to follow

For the record, there's no way he should have been banned in my eyes, but a fine would have been reasonable.

I agree with a fine. We don't want other players emulating him thinking that they won't get punished just because the referee didn't see it.

I'm just really surprised that he's playing professional football for something like 15 years or so and it seems like he's not aware that there are cameras in every nook and cranny of the stadium covering the whole pitch so the whole world will be able to see what you're doing, no matter how you try to hide it. Strange that.
Original post by Aky786UK
I'll join in the sympathy for Torres and if you remember back to when he was at his peak at Liverpool, him and Rio had some tussles, words said, chest bumps exchanged and he didn't react or realise Rio had done it intentionally.

It would have been a yellow card unless he really booted him with his elbow to justify a red.

Ollie Holt of the Mirror - who had abit of a Twitter exchange with Rio in the past - is going to do a column about the issue, based on Rio not mentioning the incident I believe or something along those lines.

TBH never seen Torres really lose his cool, always seemed like a genuinely nice guy.
Hmm now you mention it I'm struggling to think when is a time Torres has genuinely looked enraged.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The Barca game tonight just compounded to me how not in Messi's league Rooney is. The chasm between Rooney and him grows every year.
TBH never seen Torres really lose his cool, always seemed like a genuinely nice guy.

He does have a temper underneath and like you say, he does seem like a nice guy but if you Youtube the battles he had with Terry (kinda weird seeing them on the same time considering the amount of times they clashed on the pitch, due to their pitch battle), and briefly with Rio.

It's not a Zidane like temper but I think it's more competitive desire on the pitch.

Yeah, feel sorry for him. Even though he doesn't lose his cool he looks like he goes home crying. Although tbf when he's costing us games and managers It's kinda hard to not punch a wall over the guy(yes I've punched a wall over this guys performances at times)
Ferdinand is just a bully really. Deserved a slap for what he did but he knew Torres wouldn't react. Bet he wouldnt have done it to John Terry...
Original post by Zürich
Ferdinand is just a bully really. Deserved a slap for what he did but he knew Torres wouldn't react. Bet he wouldnt have done it to John Terry...

He wouldn't have done it any of the Chelsea defenders.

Latest