The Student Room Group

Where to buy University essentials in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LukeM90
Ah cool, is that your first choice? and what are you studying? I'm doing computer science, not the most exciting thing in the world but I like it (or atleast some of it :tongue:)

Yeah its my first choice :smile: such a brill uni :smile:, im studying Arabic and Middle Eastern Studies :smile: Got an offer of BBB so not too bad seen as others on my course got an offer of AAB :smile:
My homewares were largely bought from Debenhams and House of Fraser.
Reply 22
Original post by kate_louise21
Yeah its my first choice :smile: such a brill uni :smile:, im studying Arabic and Middle Eastern Studies :smile: Got an offer of BBB so not too bad seen as others on my course got an offer of AAB :smile:

Congratulations! hope you make the grades and enjoy your course! what sort of work would that lead to btw? genuinely interested
Whoever is living with me next year is going to be lucky, I work at Lakeland, and get to keep any returned kitchen gadget that's still functional! They'll have free use of my £80 blender, and anything else i bring along with me. :P
Original post by LukeM90
Congratulations! hope you make the grades and enjoy your course! what sort of work would that lead to btw? genuinely interested

Thankyou u too! :smile: You get into journalism work/teaching/international organisations/translator/british council etc but im hoping to work for the United Nations after it or become NGO worker before hand :smile:
I went to Ikea for most things, and Primark for a few soft furnishings. A few more items were scavenged from family members, and I've accumulated more stuff since I've got to uni (I'm now at the point where I have two bun trays, a pastry brush and a pie bird...)

Im going for catered accomodation, will i still need to get any kitchen stuff or things like a kettle etc ?

Normally there will be a small kitchen of some variety. Have you checked to see if they feed you for 21 hours a week, or if you will need to cook for yourself some mealtimes?

Don't forget that you aren't going to some backwater - you will be able to buy things when you get there if the need arises, so I'd err on the side of not buying something if you're not sure you're going to need it.

yeah there is :smile: with bringing the laptop etc do people often bring printers too or just use them on the university campus? im looking on the dunelm mill website and its pretty good....cute doorstoppers :smile: which university are you going to in England?

In first year, in halls, there was a computer cluster in the halls next door, so I used to use that. Now I'm in second year I have my own printer, though I could live without it. It all depends on the person & uni, but truth be told I'm not sure I'd bother bringing a printer from overseas.
Reply 26
Thankyou u too! :smile: You get into journalism work/teaching/international organisations/translator/british council etc but im hoping to work for the United Nations after it or become NGO worker before hand :smile:

Sounds good, I duno what I want to do specifically, I'd like to do some practical IT work like I love building pcs but theres already loads of companies do that xD

But im doing a degree to further my chances of getting a higher level IT job, I really want to do somthing exciting with my life but havent decided what that is yet lol, think IT is my back up :tongue: duno if thats the best idea tho lol
Reply 27
For kitchen and bathroom things, have a look in Sainsbury's in August- they've usually got a good uni section with really nice brands for 70% off-- I got my whole kitchen kitted out for like 30 quid. Amaaazing.
I went to Wilkinsons for bedding, Sainsburys for kitchen ware and Dunelm Mill for some other bits and pieces.
Can anyone please tell me what all they took to uni? Obviously sheets and bedding but what did you take for kitchen use? Did anyone take an iron or clothes horse? xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending