The Student Room Group

Can i get into a top uni for law with these A levels

I want to do Further Maths, Computing, Physics and Business Studies at As level. I have already done Maths AS and will being done A2 in Year 12

I am not sure which 1/2 I will drop for A level but I wont be doing Further Maths as my school does not offer it.

Are these subjects Ok for law even though there not like lit and history.

These are my best subjects and i have not even done history at igcse. I want to go to a top university in England.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by flavius11
Don't do Business Studies; it's not very well respected especially at top universities.

Given you want to do Law, an essay subject (or preferably 2) is absolutely critical. English Lit is the obvious one given you haven't done History, or perhaps Politics. You really do need at least one, if not 2 if you are to stand a realistic chance of getting in. Plus you're entire course will mainly be essay writing so it's important that you get experience of doing this if you are to do well in a Law degree. English or Politics instead of Physics/Computing would aid your cause far more.

Hope that helps.

I would'nt say it's absolutely critical but I do agree that at least one essay subject would be good to demonstrate your literay skill as well as your analytical. Bare in mind seeing as you're saying a top uni i'm assuming the likes of UCL,Kings etc. The LNAT comes into play then and a really good score on that kind of demonstrates all the skills the essay subjects do. Thus it would make sense to play to your strengths. I did Maths at AS because I thought it was a prefered subject but I would of been better of doing a subject I was good at. Good Luck
Don't do Business Studies; it's not very well respected especially at top universities.

Given you want to do Law, an essay subject (or preferably 2) is absolutely critical. English Lit is the obvious one given you haven't done History, or perhaps Politics. You really do need at least one, if not 2 if you are to stand a realistic chance of getting in. Plus you're entire course will mainly be essay writing so it's important that you get experience of doing this if you are to do well in a Law degree. English or Politics instead of Physics/Computing would aid your cause far more.

Hope that helps.

I did not do lit either and my school does not offer politics. Isn't Business Studies an essay subject and i could do it as a 4th A level. Also on universities websites it does not say this. Also it says that students that have a background in maths and science do equally as well as those with lit and history
I am a bit confused. Sorry. Are you saying I should stick to the subjects i want to do as they are my strenghts or change
(edited 11 years ago)
I'd also say a traditional essay subject would be a good idea, but in my opinion business studies would be regarded highly, as some of the skills and reasoning are similar to law. With the three other 'highly regarded' A levels you're doing it's unlikely to be too much of an issue. Also, getting a good LNAT score would indeed show that you're capeable and 'legal minded'. If you can do the LNAT, you can write a decent essay as that's part of the assessment. Perhaps take critical thinking if it's offered as an extra - it's VERY similar to the skills assessed at LNAT.

As for history, I'm hoping to apply to Oxford Law and haven't done history at GCSE. My A levels are going to be Spanish, Music, English Lit and Maths.

Good luck! :smile:
Two essay based subjects and two science subjects. English Literature, History, Physics and Chemistry would probably be the most competitive choices. Obviously either Physics or Chemistry could be changed for Mathematics or Biology or something 'hard' like that. I don't understand why English Literature commands so much respect when it boils down to writing a lot of "intellectual" crap on the paper.
Reply 6
I would have to disagree. Without an essay subject I think being accepted would be very difficult; it would be like applying for Medicine yet not doing any science Alevels. You cannot show the essay writing ability needed for a law degree in any other way I don't think.

Agree with your LNAT point to an extent; good LNAT + good grade in essay subject(s) is what you're aiming for if you want to impress.

I agree that an essay subject would help... i'm just saying it's not the end all as he can impress them via the LNAT. Also Medicine requires the knowledge
gained from the sciences whereas Law does not require any previous knowledge. However I read that you're at Cambridge- in that particular case you are more informed than I!:smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Undisclosed 15
I want to do Further Maths, Computing, Pysics and Business Studies at As level. I have already done Maths

I am not sure which I will drop for A level

Are these subjects Ok for law even though there not like lit and history.

These are my best subjects and i have not even done history at igcse. I want to go to a top university in England.

I know someone who got into Cambridge for Law with Maths Further Maths Physics Chemistry, so you should be fine, just make sure you really want to do it and put that across in your ps.
What form of English qualification did you do?

Fair enough on the Politics; was just a suggestion.

Business Studies is an essay subject, but not a respected on. A number of universities (Cambridge, LSE, Kings etc.) publish 'blacklists' of subjects that they do not favour and Business Studies is invariably on them. When applying for top courses at top universities it is much better to go for traditional subjects, rather than risk 'newer' ones.

I'm doing Law at Cambridge, and nobody at our college has a) done Business Studies or b) got in without at least one traditional essay subject. A few did Maths and some sciences and then 1 essay subject and that's fine, but the essay subject really is important.

Could you link me to the blacklists please?
Also what would you recommend me to do as i have nonidea what to do. For Igcse i did English Language, Maths, physics, chemistry, biology, it, business studies and french. French is my weakest subject so I really dont want to continue it. Also I have the option to do A level Economics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I see where you're coming from, and there is some logic in it but I personally think it just makes it much harder to stand out. True on the fact that you don't need the previous knowledge for Law, but you do need the essay writing/analysis skills that you build up through doing those subjects.

Just because I go to Cambridge doesn't give me any divine authority (we're not all that arrogant to believe it does! :P) It's good that you're voicing your view even if you don't agree with mine; would make for a very unhelpful forum is nobody debated anything!

Ah it is good to know that the root ideal of TSR us still upheld by some, where one can voice an opinion without being subject to attack. the Urban dictionary has some VERY intresting views for TSR:biggrin:
Blacklist:

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1574823/Cambridge-and-LSE-in-soft-A-levels-revolt.html

Although the first is from Trinity's website, it broadly applies to all the colleges at Cambridge and is a useful general guide. The second is another useful indicator.

Don't do French if you don't like it. Economics would be a good choice; essays + the Maths element look good.

So if I did Pysics, maths, further maths, computing and economics that would be good?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maths and Physics will look really good, however I'm not too sure about the other too. I would definitely advise you to do English lit (which law schools love) or history/essay subjects because it shows your passion for writing (if you have it; I do!) and they like that since Law is mostly involved in lots of reading and writing as well as a lot of studying. I did Maths, Eng lit, RS and Politics. It was great having a balance of both essay subjects and maths. I got AAAB (B in maths which I dropped). I'm predicted A*AA and I'll be firming QM for Law.
Good luck!
Original post by ILoveTehran
Maths and Physics will look really good, however I'm not too sure about the other too. I would definitely advise you to do English lit (which law schools love) or history/essay subjects because it shows your passion for writing (if you have it; I do!) and they like that since Law is mostly involved in lots of reading and writing as well as a lot of studying. I did Maths, Eng lit, RS and Politics. It was great having a balance of both essay subjects and maths. I got AAAB (B in maths which I dropped). I'm predicted A*AA and I'll be firming QM for Law.
Good luck!

I cant do lit or history because i have not done them at igcse

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Undisclosed 15
I cant do lit or history because i have not done them at igcse

Posted from TSR Mobile

What about other essay subjects? RS or politics. They look really good on an application and I really enjoyed them and still love them! :smile:
What about other essay subjects? RS or politics. They look really good on an application and I really enjoyed them and still love them! :smile:

My school does not offer them

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hope that helps.

I received offers from 5 unis and I'm now in my final year of Oxford law having done Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computing as A-levels.
I'm doing Law at Cambridge, and nobody at our college has a) done Business Studies or b) got in without at least one traditional essay subject. A few did Maths and some sciences and then 1 essay subject and that's fine, but the essay subject really is important.

From your own university:

Cambridge University
Course requirements
Essential No specific subjects

Many A Level (or equivalent) subjects provide a good grounding for the study of Law at university, and Colleges have an open mind about the subjects that are a sound preparation.

Good applicants tend to have taken subjects at A Level (or equivalent) that develop a careful, analytical approach to reading and which require them to present information in a way which is well structured and thoughtfully argued. In our experience, applicants with backgrounds in Mathematics and science subjects perform as well as those whose background is in humanities subjects. Many Colleges are pleased to see applicants with a mixed background in these subjects.

Applicants are not required to have studied Law at GCSE or A Level. Those who have done so tend not to have any special advantage once they begin studying Law at university. Academic subjects other than Law will generally provide a solid foundation for the course, as well as giving a desirable breadth of experience.
RS is a joke.

Philosophy and Ethics is a joke? did you just hear yourself?
I never said he'd have no chance without an essay subject, but you must admit you would be a rarity with those Alevels? Unless your college is very different to mine.

websites are not always as honest as they should be.

I am a rarity, but not because essay subjects are vital for studying law at university. Rather, because:
1. Not many people who take a combination of subjects like mine want to do law.
2. Some people who have a combination of subjects like mine and would be open to doing law don't think that they could do so because they are under the impression that they need 'essay subjects'.

What reason would a university have for not being clear about what subjects they think are useful for a degree? Isn't it more plausible that they are being honest?
Philosophy and Ethics is a joke? did you just hear yourself?

I'm crying with laughter at their stupid comment, they'd be crying actual tears if they had to write the essays.

Quick Reply

Latest