The Student Room Group

Isn't this sexist?

Just reading some ads for single rooms on gumtree. lots of quotes such as 'note: looking for girl only' on the ads. Isn't that rather sexist? Other way around it would be wouldn't it!

Scroll to see replies

Not really. Maybe 3 girls just want another girl to live with, rather than a man.

You soon might come across 3 guys who would rather live with another guy than a girl. However in my experience, guys are less fussy than girls about who do live with.
Reply 2
Original post by Mother_Russia
Not really. Maybe 3 girls just want another girl to live with, rather than a man.

You soon might come across 3 guys who would rather live with another guy than a girl. However in my experience, guys are less fussy than girls about who do live with.

my point exactly. so it is sexist - because they are assuming that they 'could' live with some potential creep/perv etc. It's a bit like men generalising women as being housewives who should stay in the kitchen and so on.
Reply 3
It's not sexist. Guys do not understand the importance of mud wrestling and nude pillow fights like girls do. :rolleyes:

No, I wouldn't consider it sexist. If I had a room to rent I'd want to live with another girl, not because I'd be afraid of a guy being creepy etc just because I get along better with girls generally.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Parx
my point exactly. so it is sexist - because they are assuming that they 'could' live with some potential creep/perv etc. It's a bit like men generalising women as being housewives who should stay in the kitchen and so on.

don't be silly only men can be sexist, like only white people can be racist :wink:
Maybe one may feel uncomfortable about living with guy. You don't know what their situation is so no.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Parx

No, not really. It's saying that that person may be religious, or have a boyfriend that would have an issue with it, or be more used to being living with and around girls and not want to make living with a stranger any more awkward

Posted from TSR Mobile
It is a generalisation of one sex, and using that generalisation to discriminate as if everyone inside that one sex has that same attribute. It's no different than saying you only want to live with people from Liverpool, or white people, because those have been the ones you have gotten on with in the past..
It's discrimination based on gender so yes, it's sexism regardless of the reason given
The girls I live with complain endlessly about the smells me and the other guys leave in the bathrooms (what do you expect?), so there are perfectly mundane reasons why girls would only be looking for other girls to live with.

It's often the case that a landlord will have some perception (whether accurate or not) about how different groups of people behave, and may in this case think that boys would be too messy (although in my experience it's the other way round).

Also, why would "only looking for boys" be any more sexist in your opinion?
Reply 10
No it's not sexist. It's not really any generalisation of girls either. Usually girls want to live with girls for comfort. Girls have girl issues and men just don't understand. It's just easier and more comfortable to live with a girl. Everyone has a right to rent to those they want. Plenty of ads for 25+, professionals only etc etc. and I don't see you complaining about those.
Reply 11
That's like saying if you are only comfortable working with men, you can choose to only employ men, however if you tried this you would be sued for discrimination.
Reply 12
Original post by Simran Mars Foster
Maybe one may feel uncomfortable about living with guy. You don't know what their situation is so no.

maybe i feel uncomfortable about a woman not being in the kitchen at 1pm preparing my lunch. is that sexist?
Reply 13
Original post by Sheldor
No, not really. It's saying that that person may be religious, or have a boyfriend that would have an issue with it, or be more used to being living with and around girls and not want to make living with a stranger any more awkward

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ye right cas English girls are devoutly religious? No.

The boyfriend thing hardly accounts for all the comments about having girls only etc

The simple truth is that girls don't want to have a guy in their house assuming (wrongly) that he is a potential murderer/rapist/creep/perv etc
Reply 14
Original post by Donald Duck
It is a generalisation of one sex, and using that generalisation to discriminate as if everyone inside that one sex has that same attribute. It's no different than saying you only want to live with people from Liverpool, or white people, because those have been the ones you have gotten on with in the past..

exactly

but because it is women - it's fine!
Reply 15
Original post by Telecaster Steak
The girls I live with complain endlessly about the smells me and the other guys leave in the bathrooms (what do you expect?), so there are perfectly mundane reasons why girls would only be looking for other girls to live with.

It's often the case that a landlord will have some perception (whether accurate or not) about how different groups of people behave, and may in this case think that boys would be too messy (although in my experience it's the other way round).

Also, why would "only looking for boys" be any more sexist in your opinion?

it's not any less or more sexist .. but where do you see ads 'room available - only looking for boy, no girls allowed' you don't!
Reply 16
Original post by malteser87
No it's not sexist. It's not really any generalisation of girls either. Usually girls want to live with girls for comfort. Girls have girl issues and men just don't understand. It's just easier and more comfortable to live with a girl. Everyone has a right to rent to those they want. Plenty of ads for 25+, professionals only etc etc. and I don't see you complaining about those.

what and men don't have men issues? we need our bellies filled by 1pm by a girl. We expect her to be busy preparing our food and on the table by 1pm sharp. Women just don't understand.

'Everyone has a right to rent to those they want' ... Does everyone have a right to hang out with who they want? As in it's ok for everybody to not hang out with someone because they are of a different skin colour?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Parx
maybe i feel uncomfortable about a woman not being in the kitchen at 1pm preparing my lunch. is that sexist?

Now that is just twisting things.

:troll:
Reply 18
Original post by Simran Mars Foster
Now that is just twisting things.

:troll:

What? It's a fair point. Perhaps I feel uncomfortable when at 1pm, feeling peckish - I don't see a women in the kitchen making that sandwich. You don't know my situation.
Original post by Parx
Ye right cas English girls are devoutly religious? No.

The boyfriend thing hardly accounts for all the comments about having girls only etc

The simple truth is that girls don't want to have a guy in their house assuming (wrongly) that he is a potential murderer/rapist/creep/perv etc

No, but it's one possible reason. Who said most girls want girl only homes?

Actually, yes it could. Looking at the straight young population, most of them want relationships at some point/are in one. Many would object because of the possible problems that may arise later on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending