The Student Room Group

NewCastle or Exeter for Law

Hi everyone, I've got an offer from both NewCastle and Exeter but can anyone please tell me which uni is better and what are the main differences in between them? Great thanks :smile:
Original post by iamed
Hi everyone, I've got an offer from both NewCastle and Exeter but can anyone please tell me which uni is better and what are the main differences in between them? Great thanks :smile:

Exeter by far :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Are there any reasons why Exeter is much better than NewCastle?
coz NewCastle Law School seems to have a higher ranking in the League Tables
should I believe in the rankings or should I simply ignore them XD?

Thank you for your reply :smile:
Original post by iamed
Are there any reasons why Exeter is much better than NewCastle?
coz NewCastle Law School seems to have a higher ranking in the League Tables
should I believe in the rankings or should I simply ignore them XD?

Thank you for your reply :smile:

Because it's more respected by employers not only nationally, but globally, due to its reputation as one of the top law schools. League tables are a bunch of *******s. For example, LSE is ranked 3rd in UK, but 70th in the world on one league table, but UCL is 7th in the UK and 4th in the world on another. A degree from Exeter is far more beneficial, especially for Law. It's one of the top, if not the top non LNAT uni, other than Warwick.

Look at this graph for more:
http://d1d1tdqerevjwu.cloudfront.net/resources/2013/What_is_a_good_university.pdf

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
How about the quality of teaching and the atmosphere of studying law?
Still Exeter lol?
coz I am not really sure about these two uni as I found a lot of comments claiming that they both share similar extent of reputation but for me as an international student, the tuition fee of NewCastle is 3000 pounds less than Exeter@@"
Thats why i really want to hear more voices regarding these two uni
Thank you once again for your reply :wink:
Reply 5
Also from unistat, Newcastle Law scores much higher than Exeter Law..is that reliable or just those students self-defending their own uni?
Original post by iamed
How about the quality of teaching and the atmosphere of studying law?
Still Exeter lol?
coz I am not really sure about these two uni as I found a lot of comments claiming that they both share similar extent of reputation but for me as an international student, the tuition fee of NewCastle is 3000 pounds less than Exeter@@"
Thats why i really want to hear more voices regarding these two uni
Thank you once again for your reply :wink:

Fees don't matter too much because as a solicitor/barrister, you can afford to pay them back easily :smile:. I'd imagine Newcastle has more of a 'buzz' to it because it's quite a young city. A quote from my friend who goes there: "If you go to Newcastle uni a virgin, you won't be after your first year". Exeter is a clean and wealthy city. I don't know how night life is there. I asked a similar question to yours a while ago, but I was asking between York and Exeter. Practically everyone said that Exeter Law degrees are far more valued than York's, and York is ranked 5th for Law on one league table,

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iamed
Also from unistat, Newcastle Law scores much higher than Exeter Law..is that reliable or just those students self-defending their own uni?

I don't know. We'll just have to wait on some other responses. :3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Enthusiastic A
Fees don't matter too much because as a solicitor/barrister, you can afford to pay them back easily :smile:. I'd imagine Newcastle has more of a 'buzz' to it because it's quite a young city. A quote from my friend who goes there: "If you go to Newcastle uni a virgin, you won't be after your first year". Exeter is a clean and wealthy city. I don't know how night life is there. I asked a similar question to yours a while ago, but I was asking between York and Exeter. Practically everyone said that Exeter Law degrees are far more valued than York's, and York is ranked 5th for Law on one league table,

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha for York i didnt apply for it coz it doesn't offers the optional modules I like to study in second or third year lol
but to be honest, I really love the feel of studying in Exeter..i mean the atmosphere..but still many stats favour Newcastle ~.~
Reply 9

Posted from TSR Mobile

That would be great for OP I'm sure but he's international, they'll be paying upfront not via a student loan.
Original post by roh
That would be great for OP I'm sure but he's international, they'll be paying upfront not via a student loan.

Well finger me sideways.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

AHh I'm having this dilemma too! i have to choose between Law and Exeter, but conversely everyones telling me to go for york cuz apparently its more of a "red brick" uni! dilemma, and I'm still waiting for my kings offer :/ any guidance please?
Reply 12
It's all well and good saying that fees don't matter as solicitors and barristers can easily pay them, but we currently have an over supply of law graduates with many unemployed or unable to enter law. Moreoever, not every solicitor or barrister is a high earner. It is something that is worth taking into account among a number of other factors, particularly as the difference between the two in terms of academics and reputation is so little.

Because it's more respected by employers not only nationally, but globally, due to its reputation as one of the top law schools. League tables are a bunch of *******s. For example, LSE is ranked 3rd in UK, but 70th in the world on one league table, but UCL is 7th in the UK and 4th in the world on another. A degree from Exeter is far more beneficial, especially for Law. It's one of the top, if not the top non LNAT uni, other than Warwick.

Look at this graph for more:
http://d1d1tdqerevjwu.cloudfront.net/resources/2013/What_is_a_good_university.pdf

Posted from TSR Mobile

Erm...but where is your evidence that Exeter is "more respected by employers nationally and globally". Even the link you provide shows there isn't a substantial difference :s-smilie:

As for Exeter being "clean", does this mean Newcastle is less clean? For a major city it has one some of the cleanest air. Also, when you talk of how "wealthy" a city is, what do you mean by this? Students at Newcastle will be spending their time in the city centre and wealthy places such as Jesmond. Exeter, and Devon widely, also has issues with deprivation.
Reply 13
Original post by River85
It's all well and good saying that fees don't matter as solicitors and barristers can easily pay them, but we currently have an over supply of law graduates with many unemployed or unable to enter law. Moreoever, not every solicitor or barrister is a high earner. It is something that is worth taking into account among a number of other factors, particularly as the difference between the two in terms of academics and reputation is so little.

Erm...but where is your evidence that Exeter is "more respected by employers nationally and globally". Even the link you provide shows there isn't a substantial difference :s-smilie:

As for Exeter being "clean", does this mean Newcastle is less clean? For a major city it has one some of the cleanest air. Also, when you talk of how "wealthy" a city is, what do you mean by this? Students at Newcastle will be spending their time in the city centre and wealthy places such as Jesmond. Exeter, and Devon widely, also has issues with deprivation.

OK..so assuming money is not an issue...How about the university itself? Is Uni of Exeter better or Uni of NCL@@? coz I really want to get in a good uni which is better for studying law with better recognition by worldwide law firms^^
Original post by iamed
OK..so assuming money is not an issue...How about the university itself? Is Uni of Exeter better or Uni of NCL@@? coz I really want to get in a good uni which is better for studying law with better recognition by worldwide law firms^^

The difference between them is far less than the difference between your performance at a university at which you are happy and your performance at a university at which you feel uncomfortable.

As one is a lively northern big city university and the other isn't, it is implausible that you would like them equally.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending