The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by A5ko
Surgery is a speciality, some doctors can't do it.

All doctors can do some surgery, it's an element of compulsory training.

My point was more that the two professions require different skills and training, within every speciality there will be things the nurses can do that the docs can't and vice versa, if that weren't the case there'd be no need to have two separate professions.

It's like me saying I'd love to see my accountant best mate draft a particulars of claim, obviously he couldn't do it as that isn't what he's trained to do but then I'd look a **** trying to conduct an audit.
Reply 21
Original post by minifridge
I'm sure there's plenty of people that want to be nurses but have had no intention of being a doctor. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep! I'm a graduate with a very good degree & a masters, and I'm applying for nursing because I want to look after people (the whole person, not just their illness!) I have the qualifications to go into medicine, but I simply don't want to be a doctor- I want to be a nurse. They are two very different careers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Due to severe shortages in nurse staffing, you may find this particular kind of nurse dying out. It's not that they don't care, they're just not given the time.
Reply 23
As a mature student with a young family who has just been offered an unconditional offer to do adult nursing at hull university. I can't actually believe that you think it's a waste of time.
Obviously you have never needed medical intervention or seen just exactly what nurses do. They in fact do a hell of a lot more than doctors do and earn less than them. It's a rewarding career and you have to be a special person to embark on a very hard course and don't take it lightly.
It never used to be a degree course but many nurses go in to teaching in many fields of speciality care and also can get very far in there career.
I think there are lots of degrees which are a total waste of time and students often end up never using there degrees at least nurses always do and are always needed.
There is no way people embark on the nursing degree thinking its going to be easy I suggest you take a look at the curriculum and the subjects we study then you may change your mind !!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Personally, I don't understand why anyone would want to be a nurse- I mean it doesn't pay very well, you don't always encounter the nicest people, you get disrespected sometimes by patients and talked down to by doctors, you don't get an office ect.

That's why I've got respect for those that do, and if there weren't people like them we'd probably be a lot closer to mortality than I'm comfortable with.

Also, if you think Nursing is pointless, what must you think of my BA Philosophy offer....
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 25
I have no end of respect for those who work in the NHS because they get **** on 24/7 but some of the people I see doing nursing degrees are nothing short of morons. 2 girls who are in my facebook friends discussed an exam they had to pass. The total mark was out of 50, and they decided that having to get 35/50 to pass equaled 50%.

And you really want these idiots saving your life why, exactly?
Reply 26
Like I said it takes a very special person to be a nurse it's not a career for everyone. I have wanted to be a nurse since I was a little girl. I could go on and on as to why I want to be a nurse but the fact is I want to help people I want to give something back make a difference. Nurse someone who can be at the brink of death back to good health . It can go on and on and the pay isn't that bad and it's up to the certain individual weather they want to pursue there career further and work there way up like in any job !!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yaboy
I just cant understand the lure of 'Nursing' please enlighten me and help me change my view of thinking its a waste of an individuals life to take it.

I'd like to see you get through life without the help of a nurse at some point. Guaranteed you've already been helped by a nurse... Unless you have lived in a cave since birth...
Reply 28
Original post by sabian92
I have no end of respect for those who work in the NHS because they get **** on 24/7 but some of the people I see doing nursing degrees are nothing short of morons. 2 girls who are in my facebook friends discussed an exam they had to pass. The total mark was out of 50, and they decided that having to get 35/50 to pass equaled 50%.

And you really want these idiots saving your life why, exactly?

So you are saying basically all student nurses are idiots !!! The qualifications,entrance exams on interview day, even getting an interview is so hard !! Please don't judge everyone I personally am not an idiot and will be a very hard working competent nurse.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Original post by Pandabär
They are different, complimentary roles. That's like me saying: 'My colleague on the shop floor clearly works harder than my colleague in the stock room, because I can physically see him working. I can't see the guy out back'.

Can they not both be working hard?

Nurses and doctors have got very different roles... I have every bit of respect and am in awe of what a fantastic job they do. I didn't mean it in that way I apologise it came across like that but nurses work very hard as do doctors but nurses get the abuse when doctors are late on rounds from patients they get it from patients family's when doctors haven't got the time to sit and talk as nurse s do. It's a very demanding stressful job and all doctors consultants and nurses do an amazing job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The person who makes a non-splash toilet will be a hero.

I hear they've invented something called a lid... :wink:
Original post by yaboy
I just cant understand the lure of 'Nursing' please enlighten me and help me change my view of thinking its a waste of an individuals life to take it.

Well if no one did it and you had to go into hospital you'd be up **** creek wouldn't you? Nurses are hugely underrated and doctors aren't all that you know. Yes they've had to work bloody hard but so have nurses. And in case you haven't noticed, there's a shortage of nurses and the NHS, as clueless as they are, are laying a lot of them off whilst management get to keep their cushy jobs as well as absolutely undeserved salaries. Do they have to change patients' catheters and take them to the toilet? Do. They. Hell.
Reply 32
Original post by MissCellaneous94
Well if no one did it and you had to go into hospital you'd be up **** creek wouldn't you? Nurses are hugely underrated and doctors aren't all that you know. Yes they've had to work bloody hard but so have nurses. And in case you haven't noticed, there's a shortage of nurses and the NHS, as clueless as they are, are laying a lot of them off whilst management get to keep their cushy jobs as well as absolutely undeserved salaries. Do they have to change patients' catheters and take them to the toilet? Do. They. Hell.

Well said I couldn't of put it better myself . Considering that person who started this thread is a student and at university cannot be that bright to actually think nursing is a waste of time ... It's actually shocked me even my young children realise the importance of nurses and doctors !!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
[QUOTE="FinancialPanther;41856070"]
Original post by CXDK
The person who makes a non-splash toilet will be a hero.

I hear they've invented something called a lid... :wink:

Something tells me you cant use it while the lid is down.. :P
Original post by JLarcombe
I would LOVE to see some doctors attempt some of the things nurses have to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Weak argument.
Reply 35
Original post by Louisex37
So you are saying basically all student nurses are idiots !!! The qualifications,entrance exams on interview day, even getting an interview is so hard !! Please don't judge everyone I personally am not an idiot and will be a very hard working competent nurse.

Not at all. What I'm saying is these select people manage to scrape their way through easy A-levels and end up on a nursing degree and they can barely do anything academic. I'm not saying all nurses are idiots, I'm saying if you're on a nursing degree (or any degree, to be honest) you shouldn't be THAT stupid. Especially if you're training to save lives. If you can't find 50% of ANYTHING then you should be at primary school still. Not learning how to stop people from dying.

My auntie is a nurse (well, now she's a Ward Sister but she still went through the degree process) and I have nothing but respect for her profession. It's a hard job, long hours, poor pay (at first) and abusive patients. I don't like her much, but that isn't for this thread :awesome:
Not at all. What I'm saying is these select people manage to scrape their way through easy A-levels and end up on a nursing degree and they can barely do anything academic. I'm not saying all nurses are idiots, I'm saying if you're on a nursing degree (or any degree, to be honest) you shouldn't be THAT stupid. Especially if you're training to save lives. If you can't find 50% of ANYTHING then you should be at primary school still. Not learning how to stop people from dying.

My auntie is a nurse (well, now she's a Ward Sister but she still went through the degree process) and I have nothing but respect for her profession. It's a hard job, long hours, poor pay (at first) and abusive patients. I don't like her much, but that isn't for this thread :awesome:

Tbh the pay is half decent at the start- especially as most nursing grads net jobs.

The trouble is that the salary progression is really slow so it doesn't keep up with other sectors. The ceiling of earning potential is also pretty low.

Some of the maths required for skills training is reasonably complex. Those whom cannot pass them will not progress very far.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Original post by LexiswasmyNexis
Tbh the pay is half decent at the start- especially as most nursing grads net jobs.

The trouble is that the salary progression is really slow so it doesn't keep up with other sectors. The ceiling of earning potential is also pretty low.

Some of the maths required for skills training is reasonably complex. Those whom cannot pass them will not progress very far.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And yet they let people with poor maths skills study Nursing...

I mean I'm not a maths whizz-kid, far from it but if I wanted to do a degree that needed reasonably good maths skills and I was allowed to study it I'd be questioning why I was let on it. It's just a waste of tuition (and they're funded via the NHS so indirectly the country is paying for idiots to drop out after the first year anyway....)
Reply 38
Well I'm a nursing student because I wanted to be in a caring role which is challenging and also rewarding. I wanted to be on the front line instead of diagnosing and prescribing. I want to be a part of the patient's care and treatment and get to understand and hopefully pass on my knowledge to others in the future to make nursing more person centred. I did A level chemistry, biology, languages and ICT so they are not soft subjects
And yet they let people with poor maths skills study Nursing...

I mean I'm not a maths whizz-kid, far from it but if I wanted to do a degree that needed reasonably good maths skills and I was allowed to study it I'd be questioning why I was let on it. It's just a waste of tuition (and they're funded via the NHS so indirectly the country is paying for idiots to drop out after the first year anyway....)

You don't need those skills for the degree; I'm talking about on the job training.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending