The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Etoile
Awkward :eek:
I am not rejecting Cambridge :lol: I'm sure we can get trains or something idk, probably better that we didn't end up at the same place in case we break up when we are there!

That's one way of looking at it. My brother stayed with his girlfriend for 2 years after going to uni so clearly it can be done. Although I'm gonna miss of a lot of friends, i'm actually kinda glad I'm not going to the same uni as anyone from my school. I can finally make a fresh start.
Reply 2021
Original post by ConnorM
Do you think the gap year strengthened your application?

Sorry, I haven't noticed that post before.

Well, it sure has. I'm from a very poor school and I had to take care of my education by myself, and I needed to catch up with sevral things, I also had to repair my budget in order to go to Cambridge and I really needed that year off. Also, in my final year I did most of my projects and generally stuff that really reinforced my application, TBH I think that without these I wouldn't manage to get in. I had the comfort of already having my exams passed and I could focus on the application. I don't feel like I lost a year or sth, but that's I really wouldn't be able to make without it. If you don't feel like it's a must for you, don't wait, but if you do then it's worth considering.
Reply 2022
[QUOTE="camaieu;41862065"]I'm from Northern Ireland too :smile: I'm at Cam at the moment, but I'm just a lurker here. :colone:[/QUOTE

super, there are more of us, which college do you go to?
Original post by Lord of the Flies
Technically that is lying, and UCAS will know - you'd be taking a big risk. Especially since some universities (such as Cambridge), don't normally accept applications from uni students.

I know someone who decided he didn't like his course at Durham (Durham wouldn't let him switch to the course he wanted) so he applied to Cambridge, got accepted, finished his year at Durham and is now at Cambridge. I'm not sure they care.
Original post by KayteeKaytee
I know someone who decided he didn't like his course at Durham (Durham wouldn't let him switch to the course he wanted) so he applied to Cambridge, got accepted, finished his year at Durham and is now at Cambridge. I'm not sure they care.

I believe it's explicitly stated somewhere on the website that they'll only consider such an application if it is supported by a lecturer/professor/tutor from the person's current university. If he tries to hide the fact that he's at uni and they find out, they will care. Also, the person you mention was switching courses - that isn't, as far as I know, what I am Ace is planning on doing.
Reply 2025
Original post by Bulbasaur
That's one way of looking at it. My brother stayed with his girlfriend for 2 years after going to uni so clearly it can be done. Although I'm gonna miss of a lot of friends, i'm actually kinda glad I'm not going to the same uni as anyone from my school. I can finally make a fresh start.

My college actually got 12 people into Oxbridge this year I think so I will be going with some, none at the same college though. Which is good, because I have friends somewhere if I can't make any new ones :lol:
Original post by Etoile
My college actually got 12 people into Oxbridge this year I think so I will be going with some, none at the same college though. Which is good, because I have friends somewhere if I can't make any new ones :lol:

My school has managed a third of that in the last 3 years...
Original post by pr100
super, there are more of us, which college do you go to?

Tit Hall! :smile: Where have you applied to?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Etoile

Well best of both world's then :tongue: I'm sure you'll make friends - I mean, why wouldn't you?

Original post by DJMayes
My school has managed a third of that in the last 3 years...

Not awful. My school generally gets about 2 (well, 5 this year, all to Cambridge) applicants to oxbridge on a yearly basis - in a year of about 100 people. Yet nobody else has gotten an offer for about 8 years... to top it off, there's a pretty substantial chance I'll miss it :tongue: Sucks, doesn't it...

Not awful. My school generally gets about 2 (well, 5 this year, all to Cambridge) applicants to oxbridge on a yearly basis - in a year of about 100 people. Yet nobody else has gotten an offer for about 8 years... to top it off, there's a pretty substantial chance I'll miss it :tongue: Sucks, doesn't it...

We get multiple applicants each year, but not a lot get an offer. This year I'm the only one with an offer (Maths at Cambridge), last year two people got offers (Music, Engineering, both at Oxford) and the year before one person got an offer (Maths, Oxford).
Original post by camaieu
Tit Hall! :smile: Where have you applied to?

Another Tit Hall offer holder! :yes: I have an offer for Physical Natsci, yourself? I realise that you've probably said before but I'm on my phone, sorry!
Original post by DJMayes
We get multiple applicants each year, but not a lot get an offer. This year I'm the only one with an offer (Maths at Cambridge), last year two people got offers (Music, Engineering, both at Oxford) and the year before one person got an offer (Maths, Oxford).

I went to a state school and 13 (including myself) managed to get into Oxbridge from my year, and 5 from the year below. Its weird how different cohorts produce massively different numbers! Proves theres no weight in statistics :tongue:
Original post by DJMayes

i just wanted to know your academic grades and is it possible to get an offer for economics with 4-6 A*s at gcse

PS- how hard was the interview/s
Original post by not_a_dog
Another Tit Hall offer holder! :yes: I have an offer for Physical Natsci, yourself? I realise that you've probably said before but I'm on my phone, sorry!

Awesome :smile: I'm a current student, I study MML :smile:
Original post by DJMayes

Lots of maths then. How's STEP going?
Original post by haroon77
i just wanted to know your academic grades and is it possible to get an offer for economics with 4-6 A*s at gcse

PS- how hard was the interview/s

I don't see how my grades will help much (completely different subjects) but here you go:

Spoiler

Lots of maths then. How's STEP going?

It's going well, thanks!
Original post by DJMayes
I don't see how my grades will help much (completely different subjects) but here you go:

Spoiler

really well done on as levels,what was your 4th option- i just wanted to know how much you revised and did you have an interview
[QUOTE="haroon77;41875871"]
Original post by DJMayes

Spoiler

really well done on as levels,what was your 4th option- i just wanted to know how much you revised and did you have an interview

My fourth option was Applied Business. I revise religiously; and Cambridge don't make offers without interviews. I had a Maths one though; which is completely different to an Economics one and so not of much use to you.
' I revise religiously'

how much do you mean, would the same also apply to gcses
Reply 2039
Original post by Nyolg
Sorry, I haven't noticed that post before.

Well, it sure has. I'm from a very poor school and I had to take care of my education by myself, and I needed to catch up with sevral things, I also had to repair my budget in order to go to Cambridge and I really needed that year off. Also, in my final year I did most of my projects and generally stuff that really reinforced my application, TBH I think that without these I wouldn't manage to get in. I had the comfort of already having my exams passed and I could focus on the application. I don't feel like I lost a year or sth, but that's I really wouldn't be able to make without it. If you don't feel like it's a must for you, don't wait, but if you do then it's worth considering.

Ok all sounds positive, I am pretty much 90% sure I'll be taking the year out in France to be honest, cheers for the information

Latest

Trending

Trending