The Student Room Group

Advice for starting the IB in September

abc
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi :smile:

I think the most important thing is to look at what the universities require, I'm also a med applicant and I think that both my offers include SL maths as part of them.

But as I said it will often vary between universities.

Best of luck with your GCSEs :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by zoedamilola
I'm currently in Year 11, revising for my GCSE exams and I've been accepted to study the IB in September of this year so I would like to gain some advice on how to approach the diploma etc. I'm looking to study medicine and these are my IB options:

Higher Level

Biology

Chemistry

History

Standard Level

English Literature

Spanish

Mathematical Studies

Also, I would like to know if Mathematical Studies is adequate enough to study medicine at university because the school that I'm going to be attending in September seem to think so and about 80 students last year went into medicine from the school. I personally think that it is acceptable seeing as Mathematics is not required at A-Level for those wanting to study medicine if Biology and Chemistry are being studied at A2.

Regarding Math (SL/HL), it's one of those things that you don't HAVE to have, but having it will definitely make your application more competitive. For medicine, I think you should really consider SL.

Oh, and beware History HL. :tongue: Jk, it's quite interesting but (for me) it's also one of the most, if not the most time consuming subject.
Reply 3
The best piece of advice I never got (and that would have really helped me now exams are in less than two months ahhh) is to keep your notes ordered and have some kind of system, especially for history!! such an evil subject in terms of essays etc etc. but definitely manageable.

As for the maths, I know a lot of people in my school who have applied for medicine ad received offers from places like Kings etc, they all do studies so I'm sure you'll be fine. They often advise you start with methods then drop down but I did this and now feel really behind in studies so think if I had the option I'd just stick with studies :smile:

AND definitely try and get cas and EE out of the way as quickly as possible, especially before year 13. The autumn term of year 13 (at my school anyways) was SO much work and we had mocks on top of that that were just awful :/

oh and another thing (sorry getting carried away here) I dont know how your school works in terms of UCAS predictions but ours were based on year 12 mocks. If your school is the same then definitely try your hardest for those mocks, it is seriously worth it as year 13 mocks are just such a stressful time and most people at my school did a lot worse in the year 13 ones.

Hope I haven't scared you too much aha!! I just wish someone had told me all this at the start. But personally I think IB is definitely worth it in the end :smile:

Good Luck!!
Reply 4
abc
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Reply 6
Original post by Sic
Regarding Math (SL/HL), it's one of those things that you don't HAVE to have, but having it will definitely make your application more competitive. For medicine, I think you should really consider SL.

Oh, and beware History HL. :tongue: Jk, it's quite interesting but (for me) it's also one of the most, if not the most time consuming subject.

Hi,
I am also going to start my IB diploma this September! I am confused over if I should take IB math studies or IB standard level in order to do medicine in UK. As I have heard that some medical universities don't really regard IB math studies!
Reply 7
Original post by Jessy18
Hi,
I am also going to start my IB diploma this September! I am confused over if I should take IB math studies or IB standard level in order to do medicine in UK. As I have heard that some medical universities don't really regard IB math studies!

abc
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by zoedamilola
I'm currently in Year 11, revising for my GCSE exams and I've been accepted to study the IB in September of this year so I would like to gain some advice on how to approach the diploma etc. I'm looking to study medicine and these are my IB options:

Higher Level

Biology

Chemistry

History

Standard Level

English Literature

Spanish

Mathematical Studies

Also, I would like to know if Mathematical Studies is adequate enough to study medicine at university because the school that I'm going to be attending in September seem to think so and about 80 students last year went into medicine from the school. I personally think that it is acceptable seeing as Mathematics is not required at A-Level for those wanting to study medicine if Biology and Chemistry are being studied at A2.

Take standard math!
Reply 9
Original post by Jessy18
Hi,

Give SL Math a shot! If you find it too difficult then you can switch to Math Studies later (there's always that period in the beginning of IB when you can change your subjects around). : )

Medicine is quite a competitive field. I honestly think it's going to be mighty hard for you to get into a good uni, especially in the UK, with Math Studies.
Reply 10
Original post by Sic
Give SL Math a shot! If you find it too difficult then you can switch to Math Studies later (there's always that period in the beginning of IB when you can change your subjects around). : )

Medicine is quite a competitive field. I honestly think it's going to be mighty hard for you to get into a good uni, especially in the UK, with Math Studies.

thanks for the advice! I was also thinking about SL but was and still am a little unsure if I can handle Math SL :frown:
Reply 11
Original post by Jessy18
thanks for the advice! I was also thinking about SL but was and still am a little unsure if I can handle Math SL :frown:

I think to be honest its worth a try as I think universities like it because of the skills you gain rather than the actual maths you do! Its kind of like chemistry in that you develop good problem solving abilities and can apply your knowledge to new situations :smile:

Also I don't know about your college, but at my college they don't normally like to let people do higher chemistry with maths studies

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
abc
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Kirimin
I think to be honest its worth a try as I think universities like it because of the skills you gain rather than the actual maths you do! Its kind of like chemistry in that you develop good problem solving abilities and can apply your knowledge to new situations :smile:

Also I don't know about your college, but at my college they don't normally like to let people do higher chemistry with maths studies

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, will probably give it a try :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending