The Student Room Group

American equivalent of 2:1?

In terms of GPA is it a 3.5 or so?
Different schools have different conversion methods but I found that the majority of them convert a 2:1 to a 3.3 or a 3.4, which seems ridiculous...but you just have to accept it, since that's their policy. Some schools will convert a 2:1 over 68 to something higher, but all the schools I applied to valued a 2:1 as a 3.3 or a 3.4 (I applied to ten schools and researched hundreds more).

I mean, in reality the 2:1 range probably goes from a 3.3 to a 3.7 but a lot of schools just take it as a class and not as a number mark, and so they break down the UK classes to something like First = 3.8, 2:1 = 3.4, 2:2 = 3.0.

As an example, this is the Fulbright conversion table: http://www.fulbright.org.uk/pre-departure/academics/marks#conversion
(edited 11 years ago)
Check with the Postgrad Admissions Office for the Uni that you want to study at.

Each will have its own 'equivalent' score for each subject, and this may also depend on the Uni/course you are currently studying.

Check - dont guess.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by returnmigrant
Check with the Postgrad Admissions Office for the Uni that you want to study at.

Each will have its own 'equivalent' score for each subject, and this may also depend on the Uni/course you are currently studying.

Check - dont guess.

This. Example: some unis have a 2:1 as 3.5 GPA. Many departments at
Cambridge have a first or 3.7 GPA requirement but at least one department there has one course with 2:1 or 3.7 GPA minimum and another course at a first or 3.85 GPA minimum. So it is both uni and department dependent.
Original post by sj27
This. Example: some unis have a 2:1 as 3.5 GPA. Many departments at
Cambridge have a first or 3.7 GPA requirement but at least one department there has one course with 2:1 or 3.7 GPA minimum and another course at a first or 3.85 GPA minimum. So it is both uni and department dependent.

I assumed Jussterr was asking going the other other way, since they are are Edinburgh but, yeah, UK schools are understandably more generous (or less generous, if you are an American coming to study here).

Like the others have said, though, there is no literal equivalence between the two and everyone does it slightly differently. If you're applying to the US and have a 2:1, especially if it's from what's internationally regarded as a 'good' university, you should be fine, even if the converted GPA they assign you looks a bit low.
Reply 5
Original post by madamemerle
I assumed Jussterr was asking going the other other way, since they are are Edinburgh but, yeah, UK schools are understandably more generous (or less generous, if you are an American coming to study here).

Like the others have said, though, there is no literal equivalence between the two and everyone does it slightly differently. If you're applying to the US and have a 2:1, especially if it's from what's internationally regarded as a 'good' university, you should be fine, even if the converted GPA they assign you looks a bit low.

:facepalm: Yes, you're right - sorry.

There is a GPA conversion calculator somewhere on the web. It's probably not entirely accurate, but should give a reasonable idea. Merle, maybe you know this which is potentially also something for a UK applicant to bear in mind - I believe the US doesn't always look kindly on only using part of the degree for the classification as per the UK system as they apparently look at all the modules done for CGPA - did you come across this issue in your application?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending