Reforming the Model UN

Electing the Secretary General

The Secretary General's Powers

MUN Business

General Formatting

Disciplinary Procedure

Complaints Procedure

1. Where do I begin?

When you join the Model UN, you will be asked to represent one of our available positions, usually a nation state or organisation.

In this role, you’ll be required to debate in the character of your particular country or organisation.

You can hold two positions at the same time via a system called ‘dual representation’. Let the Secretary General know if you wish to hold two positions.

The best debating is accurate and fits the stance of the state you’re representing, for example the Chinese rep shouldn’t preach capitalism or the Australian rep shouldn’t condone genocide.

If you want to post your own opinion, all you need to do is begin your post with the letters OOC. This lets everyone know you’re posting out of character.

In some cases, you’ll be required to debate out of character usually this will either be requested by the Secretary General, or will be required during elections, votes of no confidence or the off-topic Chat Thread.

2. General Rules

Before you start, here are a few general rules that will ensure your MUN experience is always positive!

Most of them are common sense, and follow TSR’s general code of conduct that encourages courteous behaviour and advises against the use of personal insults or negativity.

Please try to stay regularly active in the Model UN by joining, you’re making a commitment to engage in the community. If you wish to stand down from a position or you’re going to be absent for a while, please let the Secretary General know. Make sure you vote in every resolution and engage in general debate.

Finally, keep debating realistic declarations of war or the use of nuclear weapons must obtain a Security Council resolution or be suspended.
Messages of condolence from one country to another are accepted providing they are posted in the Condolences Thread.

3. Creating Resolutions
Please send your Resolutions to the Secretary General, who will ensure the format and information is correct. Only the Secretary General may post new resolutions in the General Assembly.

When writing a Resolution, have a think about who it will be directed at - the resolution should be directed towards the relevant UN Council i.e. Security; Cultural and Social; Human Rights. The Secretary General will ensure this happens when you submit your Resolution.

Resolutions that do not have implications for International Peace and Security will be voted on by the General Assembly. A vote to ratify the Resolution can either begin straight away or be left for up to 7 days to allow for a period of discussion. The member submitting the resolution should specify the length of this period to the Secretary General. Voting itself must last for a maximum of 3 days.

If your Resolution concerns the actions of your own state, please abstain in the vote.

4. The Security Council
Security Council Resolutions must have implications for International Peace and Security. If the proposer of the resolution or a co-sponsor of the resolution is a member of the Security Council then they are able to post the resolution in the Security Council sub-forum for discussion.

If the proposer of the resolution is not a member of the Security Council then they should ask the Secretary General by sending them the resolution to post it in the Security Council sub-forum.

Once the resolution has been posted to the Security Council subforum, a discussion lasting a maximum of 7 days will be held, followed by a 3 day vote. Voting should be ‘public’.

The following representatives have veto power, and can use it by voting against a resolution:

United Kingdom

United States

France

Russian Federation

China

India

In addition to 6 permanent members, the Security Council will consist of 2 non-permanent members elected every 3 months and open to all General Assembly member states.

The Secretary General will manage all elections related to the Security Council, which will have 7 days for manifesto submission, 2 days of Q&A and then 5 days of voting.

Security Council Term Lengths
Representatives for permanent and non-permanent seats should hold the seat for a minimum of 60 days. This can be lifted due to personal issues at the discretion of the Secretary General.

Representatives can be removed if:
a) they have been inactive for a period of 3 weeks without explanation offered prior to their absence or by failing to post or make adequate representation
b) another representative requests the Secretary General hold an election for the post

5. United Nations Officers
In addition to representing a nation state, you can also become an MUN Officer. These positions are similar to the UN Organisations in real life, and allow you plenty of scope to represent development or societal issues.

These positions are:

Trade and Development Officer

Military and Criminal Affairs Officer

Education, Science and Culture Officer

Financial Affairs Officer

Health and Wellbeing Officer

Officers must remain politically neutral in all in character discussions. MUN Officers cannot vote on resolutions, but they can vote on elections and reforms and can take part in any debate.

6. Reforming the Model UN
The Operating Procedure and Charter of the Model United Nations can be altered or reformed by a simple vote in the General Assembly. You can debate out of character when discussing reform but votes should be private.

The Secretary General will introduce changes and reforms as suggested and voted for by the membership of the MUN, ensuring these follow TSR guidelines.

7. Electing the Secretary General
The Secretary General will announce their resignation in the General Assembly, will run the election for their successor and may vote in this election.

There will be 7 days to submit manifestos, which will then be posted in a Question and Answer thread lasting 48 hours. After that, a secret ballot will be held lasting for 5 days.

If there are any suspicious votes then the Moderators shall be alerted and asked to check IP addresses. If fraudulent behaviour is discovered then the votes shall be discounted and the member responsible will be permanently removed from the MUN.

Candidates should avoid campaigning via private messaging during the election.

In the event of a tie in the votes at the end of the election the Secretary General shall hold another vote between the tied candidates.

The above process is also the procedure for electing the Deputy Secretary General.

8.The Secretary General’s powers
As the main administrator and mediator of the MUN, the decision of the Secretary General is final in all matters and they must act in the MUN’s best interest.

They are chief administrator for MUN elections, and can increase the duration of elections at their discretion.

The Secretary General, assisted by the Deputy Secretary General, is in charge of all MUN admin, such as maintaining the forum and admitting members to the usergroup. They should also hold regular roll calls to ensure activity in the General Assembly is maintained.

The Secretary General will serve a minimum term of six months, after which they can stand for election to retain their position. They can also be removed at any time by a Vote of No Confidence.

Every year, the Secretary General will endeavour to hold an awards ceremony to honour the best MUN members.

9. MUN Business
Hypotheticals, or ‘hypes’ and Historical Scenarios can be debated in the MUN. Hypothetical and Historical Scenarios are those that deal with situations that are not currently occurring in the real World.

These threads should be started by the Secretary General, but can be requested by any member of the General Assembly.

No member may use military force without first privately contacting the Secretary General with details of this force while providing as many details as possible. Only the Secretary General may announce any development in the scenario such as the use of military force, natural disasters, breeches of international law etc

Resolutions may be created, following guidelines outlined above.

Representatives of can gather to discuss issues without seeking a Security Council Resolution or to discuss treaties in a Summit.

The Secretary General can begin a Summit by calling on all members to join in discussion on the matter, and Summits can be initiated by any member of the General Assembly by posing a Position Paper or similar on the subject.

These Summits can be initiated by any relevant UN Officer.

Each individual Treaty will have separate time limits and sanctions for its breach and clauses for withdrawal from Treaty obligations and verification protocols which will be determined by the representatives when the Treaty is drafted.

The results of the Summits will be recorded by the Secretary General in a way possible for public viewing.

10. General Formatting
A quick guide to keep the MUN looking tidy:

Normal Resolutions shall be titled :-
Resolution (year)/(number) (title)
e.g.
Resolution 2013/01 Israel Vs Gaza

Historical Scenario Resolutions
HIST (year)/(number) (title)
e.g.
HIST 2013/01 World War II

Hypothetical Scenario Resolutions
HYP (year)/(number) (title)
e.g.
HYP 2013/01 Korean War

11. Disciplinary Procedure
Although this is only used as a last resort for cases of serious rule breaking, the MUN does have a disciplinary procedure.

This consists of a “three strikes” policy is in effect in the MUN. If the Secretary General feels that a representative has broken any of the articles of the Charter then they may issue a public warning.

Only the Secretary General may issue warnings or punishments in the MUN, although any member can alert the Secretary General to suspected rule breaking. Gaining three warnings will result in the representative being removed from the MUN.

Removal from the Model United Nations need not be permanent and the former representative can be reconsidered for a role in the MUN at the discretion of the Secretary General

Personal disputes may not be discussed within the MUN instead they should be discussed by PM. Such posts can be removed by the Secretary General and warnings may be issued.

12. Complaints Procedure
If you ever have a complaint, concerns relevant to the MUN or issues with another MUN representative, then you can notify the Secretary General by PM who will deal with the matter.

A representative can request the Secretary General post a Vote of No Confidence against any member of the MUN. If the Secretary General considers this legitimate then they will begin the Vote of No Confidence.

Complaints against the Secretary General may be sent to the moderation team via Ask a Moderator or a Vote of No Confidence may be called.

This Charter is not exhaustive and the Secretary General should use their discretion to enforce and adapt this Charter. The Secretary General shall impose restrictions, sanctions or practice directions necessary to maintain the effective function of the MUN as situations require.

The Secretary General is bound by the conditions outlined the in the Moderators section of the Terms and Conditions of TSR.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 81
Here we go, the long awaited Charter rewrite.

I've aimed to cut as much waffle as possible and make it easier to read.

The main changes I have made include the addition of rotating non-permanent seats as well as reforming the irrelevant UNO positions.

Let me know what you think - any changes and amendments can be made here, and we'll then proceed with a vote to ratify the new Charter.
Reply 82
Original post by Birchington
Here we go, the long awaited Charter rewrite.

I've aimed to cut as much waffle as possible and make it easier to read.

The main changes I have made include the addition of rotating non-permanent seats as well as reforming the irrelevant UNO positions.

Let me know what you think - any changes and amendments can be made here, and we'll then proceed with a vote to ratify the new Charter.

So much better, easy to understand - especially for newbies. Good job! :biggrin:

Can't think of any immediate changes, I'll have another read through though...
Reply 83
Can we add the preamble from the official charter? It's so inspiring...

Preamble to the United Nations Charter
We the peoples of the United Nations determined: to save succeeding generations from the scourge of war, which twice in our lifetime has brought untold sorrow to mankind, and to reaffirm faith in fundamental human rights, in the dignity and worth of the human person, in the equal rights of men and women and of nations large and small, and to establish conditions under which justice and respect for the obligations arising from treaties and other sources of international law can be maintained, and to promote social progress and better standards of life in larger freedom, And for these ends: to practice tolerance and live together in peace with one another as good neighbours, and to unite our strength to maintain international peace and security, and to ensure, by the acceptance of principles and the institution of methods, that armed force shall not be used, save in the common interest, and to employ international machinery for the promotion of the economic and social advancement of all peoples, Have resolved to combine our efforts to accomplish these aims: Accordingly, our respective Governments, through representatives assembled in the city of San Francisco, who have exhibited their full powers found to be in good and due form, have agreed to the present Charter of the United Nations and do hereby establish an international organization to be known as the United Nations.

:tongue:
Reply 84
Original post by miser

As I've designed the new charter to be more like a guidance document rather than a constitution, I think adding something from RL might complicate it.

That said, I'm more than happy to create a wiki page outlining the MUN's aims/objectives which can include your suggestion instead.
Reply 85
Original post by miser

That said, I'm more than happy to create a wiki page outlining the MUN's aims/objectives which can include your suggestion instead.

I agree with Birch, I don't think a preamble is that necessary but Birchington's idea above seems like a good compromise to hopefully make the document more welcoming and to set out clear aims.
Reply 86
As I've designed the new charter to be more like a guidance document rather than a constitution, I think adding something from RL might complicate it.

Yes, my suggestion wasn't wholly serious. I do like that preamble though. :love:
Reply 87
Original post by miser
Yes, my suggestion wasn't wholly serious. I do like that preamble though. :love:

:lol:
Reply 88
I'll allow one more day for suggestions to be made then I'll begin the vote to ratify our new Charter.
Reply 89
I'll allow one more day for suggestions to be made then I'll begin the vote to ratify our new Charter.

Merely curious here but I don't suppose there's veto power on this one?:tongue:
Reply 90
Original post by cl_steele
Merely curious here but I don't suppose there's veto power on this one?:tongue:
As it's a forum matter rather than linked to MUN events, the charter vote will be OOC so no veto I'm afraid :smile:
Reply 91
As it's a forum matter rather than linked to MUN events, the charter vote will be OOC so no veto I'm afraid :smile:

Just squelch my last feeling of power..:frown:

Is that why you haven't broken it up into chapters or anything like that? For the record I think it really does need to be broken up into Chapters and articles so that people can make precise references when they want to. It is a constitution, that's the thing and I don't think we should really deviate from that fact.
Reply 93
Original post by thunder_chunky
Is that why you haven't broken it up into chapters or anything like that? For the record I think it really does need to be broken up into Chapters and articles so that people can make precise references when they want to. It is a constitution, that's the thing and I don't think we should really deviate from that fact.

You can just quote from the Charter directly if you want to reference it :tongue:
Original post by zaliack
You can just quote from the Charter directly if you want to reference it :tongue:

I know this however the whole point of having it listed out and catergorized is that it looks a lot better and it is by far the easiest option when referencing.
When a person wants to reference it whether in character or not it sounds much better if they say Chapter (x) and Article (x).
Reply 95
Original post by thunder_chunky
Good idea, I have added chapters to the final draft.
Reply 96
It's time to vote on adopting the new Charter. A vote is underway here.
Fixed term security council elections?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending