The Student Room Group

Christian B&B owners sued over refusing gay guests can now turn away gay couples

Link to the article

"A Christian couple who broke equality laws when they refused to let a gay couple stay in a double room in their bed and breakfast will now be able to legally turn away homosexual couples after becoming a not-for-profit organisation."

So the small minded B&B owners are once again turning away gay couples again, now by converting it into a Christian respite care center. It's crazy in this day and age.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It's their property, if they don't want to let gay couples into their home then they shouldn't be forced to.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Miracle Day
It's their property, if they don't want to let gay couples into their home then they shouldn't be forced to.

You aren't allowed to refuse service to anybody based on sexuality, ethnicity etc. It's the law, so yes they should abide it or stop running the B&B.
Original post by Bluffroom
You aren't allowed to refuse service to anybody based on sexuality, ethnicity etc. It's the law, so yes they should abide it or stop running the B&B.

And they said we were a free country.
Reply 4
I wonder if I can do the same with black people?
:rolleyes:
Reply 5

I agree. Please rate some other members before rating this member again. :confused:
Reply 6

So if I refused to let black people into my shop would that be ok?
Original post by pjm600
So if I refused to let black people into my shop would that be ok?

So I refused to let black people into my home would that be ok?

FTFY.

Yes it would be. It's your home.
The issue being, turning away black people or fat people has no basis other than you just being a dick. Turning away gay/trans people not because they are dicks its because their religions, the religion of our state has anti LGBT views.

The issue isn't with the people, its with their beliefs. You come to a point where you have to force business owners to do something against their beliefs , which has far reaching ramifications for other situations, or you defend their rights. A present both sides have rights, which clash.

Tbh, they are in such a minority they should make them put up a sign saying no gay people or such. Then just as I would if a hotel said "no jews" I wouldn't take my business there. They can exercise their beliefs with all the customers they don't have.
Original post by doggyfizzel
The issue being, turning away black people or fat people has no basis other than you just being a dick. Turning away gay/trans people not because they are dicks its because their religions, the religion of our state has anti LGBT views.

The issue isn't with the people, its with their beliefs. You come to a point where you have to force business owners to do something against their beliefs , which has far reaching ramifications for other situations, or you defend their rights. A present both sides have rights, which clash.

Tbh, they are in such a minority they should make them put up a sign saying no gay people or such. Then just as I would if a hotel said "no jews" I wouldn't take my business there. They can exercise their beliefs with all the customers they don't have.

I love it when I'm not clever enough to word something, and then someone does it for me <3
Reply 10

FTFY.

No, you haven't fixed it, you've changed it. In this case it is their business premises, from which they specifically exclude homosexual couples. They refuse service to homosexual couples, it doesn't matter if they live there or not, they are discriminating.

I'll present the question again. If, instead of homosexual couples, a business refused service to a black couple, would that be acceptable?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by pjm600
No, you haven't fixed it, you've changed it. In this case it is their business premises, from which they specifically exclude homosexual couples. They refuse service to homosexual couples, it doesn't matter if they live there or not, they are discriminating.

I'll present the question again. If, instead of homosexual couples, a business refused service to a black couple, would that be acceptable?

There is a big difference between letting someone into your home to stay and letting someone into a shop. Even into a hotel.

And, as Doggyfizzel states.. you can't compare the grounds of race and sexuality so your point is invalid anyway.
Reply 12
Original post by Bluffroom
Link to the article

"A Christian couple who broke equality laws when they refused to let a gay couple stay in a double room in their bed and breakfast will now be able to legally turn away homosexual couples after becoming a not-for-profit organisation."

So the small minded B&B owners are once again turning gay couples again, now by converting it into a Christian respite care center. It's crazy in this day and age.

And there was me thinking that being a hotelier was about about being hospitable.

Disagree. Sexuality, race, religion, skin colour, disability and gender identity are all things that people can discriminate on. It's unthinkable that, as pjm600 said, a commercial entity would refuse to serve someone because they're black, so what makes sexual orientation any different?

There's such a thing as having too much freedom...
Reply 13
There is a big difference between letting someone into your home to stay and letting someone into a shop. Even into a hotel.

And, as Doggyfizzel states.. you can't compare the grounds of race and sexuality so your point is invalid anyway.

While I sort of agree with your first point, in this case the premises is indeed their business; it's name is the Chymorvah Hotel.

However, if the owners are being truthful and the discrimination was really based on the fact that they weren't married, and they would accept a married homosexual couple, I don't see anything wrong here.

Original post by doggyfizzel

Hypothetically, if my religion dictated that I should not let black people share the same room, would I be within my rights to refuse them that room?
Reply 14

I fail to see why this is invalid. Why can you not compare race and sexual orientation when talking about discrimination?
Reply 15
Original post by Mad Vlad
And there was me thinking that being a hotelier was about about being hospitable.

Disagree. Sexuality, race, religion, skin colour, disability and gender identity are all things that people can discriminate on. It's unthinkable that, as pjm600 said, a commercial entity would refuse to serve someone because they're black, so what makes sexual orientation any different?

There's such a thing as having too much freedom...

Well you'd be surprised, I thought that restauranteurs were about serving food to customers, I was wrong too. I also realised that I managed to forget putting the word 'away' in one of the sentences so it looks like they are doing some kind of recruiting/conversion :facepalm2: - will have to edit that :lol:
Here's the happy couple!

Gosh, what a friendly looking place!
Original post by Mad Vlad
I fail to see why this is invalid. Why can you not compare race and sexual orientation when talking about discrimination?

I'm referring only to this context. I agree entirely with the post in which I was quoting. Feel free to debate with him.

They're not forced to, they can move to another country if they want to exercise such archaic beliefs. If they want to live in this country, they can live by the law.

I'd much rather not have such ignorant and backwards twits in this country anyway.

FTFY.

Throughout this you will start to realise you are completely wrong if you didn't want to let someone into your home based on their race etc then thats fine if however you ran a B&B which is a business and follows business discrimination laws then you ave no right to do that. Stop being a stupid freedoms populist.

Latest

Trending

Trending