The Student Room Group

Am I being scammed/catfished

Ok so usually I can sus out these accounts a mile away but i'm really in two minds over this one

Random account requests to follow me, female. i accept, and then i see a message, something about saying she thought "i was a cousin" or something like that. im like ok. she says she's moved to cardiff recently from the US , i say im not from cardiff etc. eventually we start talking more she's 33 female i'm male 20. (i don't have an issue with the age gap but whatever). thing is which is weird is that there's no obvious angle to her being a catfish /onlyfans scam whatever. she hasn't asked for a naked picture, any other compromising information. we've attempted to call but she says her phone is broken but in the instagram call it says she is on "mute". she makes a lot of spelling errors for an english native but then...gave me a real life address. she seems keen to meet but whenever i've asked what we would do she seems to reject the idea anything sexual or romantic will happen, in fact any mention of that is quickly shut down. I feel i'm too old to be the target for some kind of paedophile but i guess something bad could still happen, i was going to bin this off as a catfish or whatever but now she's given me a real life address. im not planning on going there anytime soon just wondered if anything similar had happened to anyone her eor any general advice?
Reply 1
Ask more questions? Perhaps a video call will explain a lot of this? Always be vigilant
Reply 2
And how do you know she actually lives at this 'real life address'?
Reply 3
Original post by najeb3
Ask more questions? Perhaps a video call will explain a lot of this? Always be vigilant

I will but i suspect it will be the same "my phone is broken"
Again i just don't know what their motive would be especially if they've given an address
Catfishes don’t just target children, they target adults all the time. Even if it’s not for anything sexual this is still sus, “my phone is broken” is a pretty textbook excuse that people use to get out of a call. Her phone isn’t broken, most people are glued to their phones and have their whole lives on there these days and so it’s something you would get fixed or replaced very quickly. And some scammers play the very long game in getting to know you for ages before finally asking for money and photos or whatever. It’s very sus, and maybe not even a woman. Block and move on. And the address thing is a non point, anyone can look up a real address and claim they live there, doesn’t actually mean they do.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
Catfishes don’t just target children, they target adults all the time. Even if it’s not for anything sexual this is still sus, “my phone is broken” is a pretty textbook excuse that people use to get out of a call. Her phone isn’t broken, most people are glued to their phones and have their whole lives on there these days and so it’s something you would get fixed or replaced very quickly. And some scammers play the very long game in getting to know you for ages before finally asking for money and photos or whatever. It’s very sus, and maybe not even a woman. Block and move on. And the address thing is a non point, anyone can look up a real address and claim they live there, doesn’t actually mean they do.

They tried to video call and i could see they were black, not white as their profile was couldn't tell if male or female don't care lol. Oh well.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
They tried to video call and i could see they were black, not white as their profile was couldn't tell if male or female don't care lol. Oh well.

As we exactly thought. BLOCK AND RUN 😝

So confirmed catfish lmaooo. Probably a dude as well hahaha.
Reply 8
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
So confirmed catfish lmaooo. Probably a dude as well hahaha.

Got to give it to the guy or whoever it was, he was semi-convincing until he started saying how his phone was "broken". And an elaborate backstory. Trying to trace a cousin, having moved to Cardiff from Santa Clara California (wouldn't wish that on anyone), to escape the heartbreak of an ex who left them for a wealthy woman.
Reply 9
Ok so usually I can sus out these accounts a mile away but i'm really in two minds over this one

Random account requests to follow me, female. i accept, and then i see a message, something about saying she thought "i was a cousin" or something like that. im like ok. she says she's moved to cardiff recently from the US , i say im not from cardiff etc. eventually we start talking more she's 33 female i'm male 20. (i don't have an issue with the age gap but whatever). thing is which is weird is that there's no obvious angle to her being a catfish /onlyfans scam whatever. she hasn't asked for a naked picture, any other compromising information. we've attempted to call but she says her phone is broken but in the instagram call it says she is on "mute". she makes a lot of spelling errors for an english native but then...gave me a real life address. she seems keen to meet but whenever i've asked what we would do she seems to reject the idea anything sexual or romantic will happen, in fact any mention of that is quickly shut down. I feel i'm too old to be the target for some kind of paedophile but i guess something bad could still happen, i was going to bin this off as a catfish or whatever but now she's given me a real life address. im not planning on going there anytime soon just wondered if anything similar had happened to anyone her eor any general advice?

I would say video call TBH I find guys on Facebook or social media I think are cute and make a excuse to talk to them but will always video call to confirm especially in Brunel when I see cute guys 😉
Reply 10
Definitely a catfish, don't ever go to an address the first time, especially if you've never face timed the person, always go to a public place first. Also not all catfishers are after money or kidnapping or crimes like that, some are just gay dudes pretending to be women to try and get nudes from guys, some are actually just very unattractive women pretending to be an attractive woman on the internet wanting to have some sort of a relationship with a guy, (you can differentiate both from seeing if they ask for nudes and they're quite direct or if they're just trying to be romantic with you)

In general anyone that refuses video calls, audio calls is a catfish.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending