The Student Room Group

UCL vs Nottingham for physics???

Hi guys,

I have all my uni offers, but I'm struggling to decide on my firm choice.

Nottingham (AAA) or UCL (AAB).

Which has the best overall rep for physics?

Cheers! :smile:
Reply 1
Nottingham :smile:
Reply 2
UCL for overall rep, say if you have no desire to go into physics in the future. Nottingham for physics rep.
Original post by LadyHaha
Nottingham :smile:

Do you have a reason? :smile:

Original post by wasabi
UCL for overall rep, say if you have no desire to go into physics in the future. Nottingham for physics rep.

So if I wanted to do some sort of financial thing, I should pick UCL? But if I wanted to do a PhD, is the difference between Nottingham and UCL that much for physics? What if I wanted to do a PhD in USA? Sorry for all the questions!
Reply 4
Original post by Should_be_studying

So if I wanted to do some sort of financial thing, I should pick UCL? But if I wanted to do a PhD, is the difference between Nottingham and UCL that much for physics? What if I wanted to do a PhD in USA? Sorry for all the questions!

Yahh. The networking available at UCL will put you at a significant advantage. It is a target university.

Can't help you with the PhD issue though!
Reply 5
Original post by wasabi
Yahh. The networking available at UCL will put you at a significant advantage. It is a target university.

Can't help you with the PhD issue though!

This seems to disagree with you.
Reply 6

Both of these universities are well respected, UCL is more prestigious internationally but their forte lies in humanities rather than science (not to say their science department isn't top notch).

Visit both of them and pick the one which appeals most to you, and do check the modules you'll be taught as they do vary from uni to uni. If you wish to further your career within physics, specifically academia, then you might want to look into the research performed by both universities and whether it interests you as you would then have the possibility of being exposed to research you are passionate about.

Let's say you wanted to go the USA to do a PhD in a specific area of physics, having been exposed to that same area, either at UCL or Nottingham, would most likely help you get a place onto that course.

All being fair, as long as you get a first (this is sometimes necessary to move onto a PhD) or at least a 2:1, then you'll be in pretty good position to continue in any direction you so decide, regardless of which of these two universities you choose.

Good luck to you!
Reply 7
Original post by NJam
This seems to disagree with you.

So you think Nottingham is more heavily recruited than Oxbridge, Imperial and LSE? Don't tell me you believe that tosh.
Reply 8
Original post by wasabi
So you think Nottingham is more heavily recruited than Oxbridge, Imperial and LSE? Don't tell me you believe that tosh.

I didn't say I believed anything.. I was simply pointing out that there is evidence to the contrary.

I think it's much more important to go to an institution where he feels more comfortable and thinks he could enjoy your time more (in essence, the one he prefers), as this will probably increase his chances of obtaining a 2:1 or first, which is much more important than the institution he got it from, especially in this case.
Reply 9

It's higher in the league tables, for Science in general too (according to the Complete University Guide). I also prefer the university - I like green campuses, personally :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending