The Student Room Group

The social Mobility Foundation

Does anyone know if you can apply and be successful for a residential program if you don't meet the financial requirements?
Reply 1
Original post by Harrow.7
Does anyone know if you can apply and be successful for a residential program if you don't meet the financial requirements?

Well, if you don't meet their requirements then you simply don't get into the program.......hence why its call the social mobility foundation, its do help those from the lower earning brackets.
They don't make exceptions, its the same with anything like uni or summer internships, once they see you don't meet their requirements, simple rejection.

The residential program is part of their internship program, so the students with the most ambitions and look like they will do well will get into that program for JP Morgan/ Government/law.

Its come a long way since I took part in it...............if you can meet their standard program then apply for it, my mentor was from Swiss Re, I still stay in touch and I got to work at Barclay's headquarters which was really nice and was filmed part of a documentary about social mobility.
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi Harrow.7,

What 'financial' criteria don't you meet? We have two basic criteria; Academic and Background.

The academic criteria is usually 5 As and GCSE and predicted ABB at A-Level.

The background criteria means:
1) You have to be eligible for Free School Meals (or have a household income of less than £16,190)
or
2) You have to have parents who haven't gone to university in the UK and have attended a school with 30% or more students on Free School Meals at any time during your secondary schooling

If you meet number 1, number 2 or both then you would be eligible.

Have a look on our website for more details www.socialmobility.org.uk

Thanks,

The SMF team

Hi,

Which part of the 'financial' criteria do you mean?

We have Background Critera and Academic Critera.

The academic criteria means you need to have 5 As at GCSE and be predicted ABB at A-Level.

The background critera means you have to be one of the following:

1) Eligible for Free School Meals/have a household income of less than £16,190

OR

2) Have parents who haven't gone to university and have attended a school with more than 30% of students eligible for Free School Meals (for your GCSES or A Levels)

If you fit into number 1, 2 or both you would be eligible to apply.

Thanks,

The SMF team
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by The SMF
Hi,

Which part of the 'financial' criteria do you mean?

We have Background Critera and Academic Critera.

The academic criteria means you need to have 5 As at GCSE and be predicted ABB at A-Level.

The background critera means you have to be one of the following:

1) Eligible for Free School Meals/have a household income of less than £16,190

OR

2) Have parents who haven't gone to university and have attended a school with more than 30% of students eligible for Free School Meals (for your GCSES or A Levels)

If you fit into number 1, 2 or both you would be eligible to apply.

Thanks,

The SMF team

Hello, I met the academic criteria but my household income is above £16,190 and I am not eligible for school meals, even though my mother works part-time....can I still take part in this program?
Reply 5
Hello, I met the academic criteria but my household income is above £16,190 and I am not eligible for school meals, even though my mother works part-time....can I still take part in this program?

depending on what your applying for, use this diagram from smf

law residential:
http://www.socialmobility.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/Eligibility-Flowchart-Law.pdf

jp morgan:
http://www.socialmobility.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/Eligibility-Flowchart-JPM-Programme.pdf

whitehall:
http://www.socialmobility.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/Eligibility-Flowchart-Whitehall-Programme.pdf

The current intake for the Aspiring Professionals Programme is closed.
Original post by Iqbal007
depending on what your applying for, use this diagram from smf

The current intake for the Aspiring Professionals Programme is closed.

Thanks for your help in explaining this.

I think the OP was referring to our Residential Programmes this summer not the APP so it's useful to look at those links!

If neither your mother nor your father went to university AND you go to a school that has over 30% of students on Free School Meals you can still apply.

If you google 'edubase' and type in your school into the search box and then cick 'school characteristics' you can find out what percentage of your school is eligible for Free School Meals.

Let us know if you have any more questions.
Reply 8
Original post by The SMF
Thanks for your help in explaining this.

I think the OP was referring to our Residential Programmes this summer not the APP so it's useful to look at those links!

OP should have applied a lot earlier.........
also will there be any events for alumni at uni anytime soon?
Reply 9
Original post by Iqbal007
OP should have applied a lot earlier.........
also will there be any events for alumni at uni anytime soon?

the deadline is the 8th of April
Reply 10
Original post by The SMF
If neither your mother nor your father went to university AND you go to a school that has over 30% of students on Free School Meals you can still apply.

If you google 'edubase' and type in your school into the search box and then cick 'school characteristics' you can find out what percentage of your school is eligible for Free School Meals.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

I do not go to a school that has 30% of students on free school meals either...:frown:
Reply 11
the deadline is the 8th of April

I was talking about the other standard program which has less requirements the Aspiring Professionals Programme, which closes far earlier.

Just checked, I think the elibigibility is different from my time, but yeah you wouldn't have met the requirement for that either.

You can't do much a part from try to apply a-level insight days, going to networking events, have a look at the brokerage citylink as well and see if you meet their requirements.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending