The Student Room Group

Need some serious help choosing! PLEASE!

I've received offers from: (for computer science)

Imperial - A*AAA
UCL - A*AA
Warwick - AAA

Grades will not be a problem, as I've already achieved the A* in Maths, and I'm pretty comfortable with the other 3 subjects. The real issue is that I can't seem to decide on one university that I want to go to. :confused: :s-smilie:

I felt that Imperial had excellent facilities, job prospects, accommodation and also possessed an aura of superiority. But I knew someone who dropped out of Imperial after their first year (same course) because he could not take the pressure, and the teaching was.. lacking. They expected you to learn most of the topics yourself, mainly because the kind of students they accept are uber-clever and already know most of it. Also, it had quite an unfriendly atmosphere, the students felt they were better than the others.

UCL was pretty similar in terms of facilities and course topics. However, I don't know much about the accommodation and I know absolutely NOTHING about the job prospects. Most websites don't seem to have enough data on job prospects and average salaries for UCL CS graduates, which I found particularly worrying. Also, they were not very clear on how they would be supporting students if they don't have extensive programming experience (I do have some, but I don't think it's enough). I did however like the atmosphere of the place and it seemed much friendlier and the students were a lot more outgoing.

Warwick just blew me away with their campus, it's probably the most beautiful university campus I've seen, but its stuck in the middle of nowhere. But, the course material and facilities are on par with Imperial and UCL, if not slightly better. They also have an option to take the 3rd year out and study at HKUST as a transfer student, which I found quite attractive. They also boast a variety of optional modules, which I also liked. The campus has some pretty neat facilities, barring the single (overpriced) Costcutter's and the lone Tesco on its outskirts. I'm only worried about how life in the 2nd year (and onwards) would be when I'd have to move off campus, as Coventry isn't the best place to live.

Could anyone give me a bit more information, preferably on UCL? As it seems to be a good compromise between studying at a prestigious university, and also having fun as you do so. :smile:

Thank you very much! :biggrin:

EDIT: Why did I get negged for this? :confused:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Mate lets face it Warwick even though Im 14 and this uni is not one of my options in near future but go with ur heart
Judging by the way you wrote about it, it sounds like you're most inclined to go to Warwick.

But let's increment through each Uni like a for loop.

Concerning ICL and people being crushed under pressure, if that sort of thing gets you worried like it does me, then don't get pressured to go there just because its claimed to be a "better university". The truth is that with that pressure it may be a worse University for you since it may induce stress and cause you to drop out and what not. So we can return a false for this one.

With UCL the facilities and place are great, I mean you're right in London. If cities are your thing and you have to be close to the busyness of the world then you should definately go here. If you like more of a peaceful existance or you feel that the city life may distract you more that your studies, then this is definately a place to miss.
I can image that the job prospects on UCL are not as great as ICL but are still up there amongst the top Universities since it is listed amongst the top 10 in the UK by the Guardian, Telegraph and Complete University Guide.
All computer science degrees cater for those without prior programming experience. If you were to go into a software development degree, things may be different but since a CS degree is designed for mathmaticians as well as developers then in most cases (probabably including UCL) there will be classes a range of classes for different people who have different amounts of coding experience.

Warwick is a lovely place with a lovely campus, as most people including yourself say. But in the way of a city life there is little to offer since the campus is in Coventry. However Birmingham is just a short 30 minute drive away and there are also trains that run from Coventry to Birmingham if you need anything exclusive to a big city.
Also, if you're conscientious about your finance then living in the midlands is MUCH cheaper than living in central London like with UCL and ICL. The further you go North-East from London, the cheaper it becomes to live seems to be the pattern.
Some people have also speculated that London is not a place to get a "University Experience". Since things are very compact and things like Campus communities are hard to forge because of this.

So the final statement goes like this:

if London is Esssential to your life
go to UCL

else
got to Warwick
Reply 3
Original post by StorsJT
Judging by the way you wrote about it, it sounds like you're most inclined to go to Warwick.

Concerning ICL and people being crushed under pressure, if that sort of thing gets you worried like it does me, then don't get pressured to go there just because its claimed to be a "better university". The truth is that with that pressure it may be a worse University for you since it may induce stress and cause you to drop out and what not. So we can return a false for this one.

With UCL the facilities and place are great, I mean you're right in London. If cities are your thing and you have to be close to the busyness of the world then you should definately go here. If you like more of a peaceful existance or you feel that the city life may distract you more that your studies, then this is definately a place to miss.
I can image that the job prospects on UCL are not as great as ICL but are still up there amongst the top Universities since it is listed amongst the top 10 in the UK by the Guardian, Telegraph and Complete University Guide.
All computer science degrees cater for those without prior programming experience. If you were to go into a software development degree, things may be different but since a CS degree is designed for mathmaticians as well as developers then in most cases (probabably including UCL) there will be classes a range of classes for different people who have different amounts of coding experience.

Warwick is a lovely place with a lovely campus, as most people including yourself say. But in the way of a city life there is little to offer since the campus is in Coventry. However Birmingham is just a short 30 minute drive away and there are also trains that run from Coventry to Birmingham if you need anything exclusive to a big city.
Also, if you're conscientious about your finance then living in the midlands is MUCH cheaper than living in central London like with UCL and ICL. The further you go North-East from London, the cheaper it becomes to live seems to be the pattern.
Some people have also speculated that London is not a place to get a "University Experience". Since things are very compact and things like Campus communities are hard to forge because of this.

go to UCL

else
got to Warwick

Thanks mate, I've decided to firm UCL and make Warwick my insurance choice. :smile:
Warwick!

It looks class
Original post by StorsJT

go to UCL

else
got to Warwick

this is fantastic

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending