The Student Room Group

Aqa a2 essays

I study French German and Spanish A2 and am finding it impossible to write an essay for any of them, (based on a book or a film). I keep handing in essays to my teachers and am only getting just over half marks. Apparently i am either being too superficial or 'telling the story' too much. If anyone has any suggestions on the structure of an essay and how to 'analyse more deeply' that would be greatly appreciated!
Original post by kateebird111
I study French German and Spanish A2 and am finding it impossible to write an essay for any of them, (based on a book or a film). I keep handing in essays to my teachers and am only getting just over half marks. Apparently i am either being too superficial or 'telling the story' too much. If anyone has any suggestions on the structure of an essay and how to 'analyse more deeply' that would be greatly appreciated!

There's loads of great examples and commentary in the resources bank on the AQA website - just go to the page for the particular language and its at the bottom of the pop out things :smile:
I always start off with three main arguments and outline them in my intro, then work my way through each one e.g. The writer uses character A to portray their feelings about subject B. I start each para by making my point, and then giving evidence (normally as a quote) I then analyse it, by asking myself 'so what?' And 'why?', inserting any relevant context :smile: what books and films are you studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kateebird111

Try reading back your essays and highlighting whenever you spot yourself 'telling the story'. As a general rule, if you're using connectives like ensuite a lot then you're narrating, not analysing. There's nothing wrong with using phrases like ... au moment (qqch se passe), as long as it's not the principal element of the sentence. As for superficiality, I'd agree with Butterfly9595 in suggesting that you have a look at all the sample material available. Hope this helps!
Reply 3
Thanks for those suggestions, they both look really helpful. I am studying Candide and Amelie in French, Requiem por un campesino espanol and El laberinto del Fauno for Spanish and Die Physiker and Sophie Scholl for German. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending