The Student Room Group

Would 6 subjects at AS level be too much work?

Error
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by dylan1016
For AS level I'm taking physics, chemistry, biology, maths, further maths and Welsh baccalaureate. All subjects are 5 lessons per week except further maths and Welsh baccalaureate which are 3 lessons per week (I think). Each lesson lasts 50 minutes. This means I'll have 26 out of a possible 30 lessons per week, hence I'll have 4 free lessons. Welsh baccalaureate is compulsory, not my choice. Would the workload be too much?

No I did 6 ASs and got AAAAAA. Easily done!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think you are underestimating the amount of work and preparation that goes into each exam so I would say it's too much, however some people may find it's not too hard so there's no harm in trying.
Reply 3
Enjoy next summer.
Reply 4
I did 6 AS's (economics, French, history, English literature, biology and maths) and it was a lot of hard work, especially in the run up to exams, but I think it's doable if you're dedicated to revising and passionate about your subjects. I think it's also important that you're good at managing your time because each subject will have a lot if homework and coursework(maybe) so you have to have the time and effort to keep in top of it. In my opinion anything is possible if you want to do it enough :smile:
That will be your soical life down the pan.
Reply 6
Original post by Simran Mars Foster
That will be your soical life down the pan.

Not necessarily. I did 6 AS levels and still managed to have a social life. I went to parties/events on a night so that it only affected a few hours of revision time and still saw my friends once most weekends. You need breaks and time away from work/revision to do well anyway, no one can focus all day straight, it just requires more hard work in the run up to exams.
Original post by Molly9
I did 6 AS's (economics, French, history, English literature, biology and maths) and it was a lot of hard work, especially in the run up to exams, but I think it's doable if you're dedicated to revising and passionate about your subjects. I think it's also important that you're good at managing your time because each subject will have a lot if homework and coursework(maybe) so you have to have the time and effort to keep in top of it. In my opinion anything is possible if you want to do it enough :smile:

Can you please tell me how you managed to do all 6 AS levels ? What I mean is how did you manage time ? Because I'm rubbish at that :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by Midnight1811
Can you please tell me how you managed to do all 6 AS levels ? What I mean is how did you manage time ? Because I'm rubbish at that :frown:

Well I revised like crazy for my GCSES exams and although A levels are a lot harder, that put me in a reasonable position for revision for my 6 As's because I had around 13/14 GCSES exams, so I know how to cram! Before all my lessons I read through the lesson plan that's uploaded onto the school virtual learning website and when I get back from school I make notes on everything I've done in the lesson (typed, detailed revision notes) and I spend about 2-3 hours on a night doing this and reading extra information on textbooks. Recently I've been focusing on coursework etc but I'm planning on starting my revision for my 4 A2s tomorrow even though I don't have exams until the middle of June, but I think starting revision early is really important! And that's about it :smile: I don't do anything special, but I actually genuinely enjoy my subjects so I don't find it too difficult! Hope that's helped!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by UKBrah
Enjoy next summer.

Indeed mate.

:rofl:
Reply 10
It depends on you, I am doing maths further maths chemistry physics citizenship at the moment but I seem to manage quite well, not sure if I would doing the subjects you are, if you enjoy all of them then not a problem
Reply 11
I can barely manage four :colondollar: But if you think you can organise yourself well, then go for it I guess.
Reply 12
"physics, chemistry, biology" All of your GCSE's combined won't be as difficult as a single one of these at A-Level, I wouldn't under estimate them at all.
Original post by dylan1016
For AS level I'm taking physics, chemistry, biology, maths, further maths and Welsh baccalaureate. All subjects are 5 lessons per week except further maths and Welsh baccalaureate which are 3 lessons per week (I think). Each lesson lasts 50 minutes. This means I'll have 26 out of a possible 30 lessons per week, hence I'll have 4 free lessons. Welsh baccalaureate is compulsory, not my choice. Would the workload be too much?

Physics - All you do is put numbers into formulas. The exam gives you numbers, you are given a book with formulas in, and you can use a calculator. Easy.

Biology - Basically its just colouring in, really?

Chemsitry - You draw some circles and mix some things together

Maths/Further Maths - It's one subject. Know the principles and apply them.

BOOM. Enjoy your life.
You've picked the five most difficult subjects, it will be a lot of work but I think if you're committed you could do it. Personally I would completely ignore the Welsh one and just fail it.

Quick Reply

Latest