The Student Room Group
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website

Parking at uclan

HELLO EVERYONE,
I AM DUE TO START UCLAN IN SEPT 2013.
I AM DOING A NURSING DEGREE SO MY CAR WILL BE NEEDED 24/7 FOR TRANSPORT TO PLACEMENTS AND GETTING TO AND FROM HOME.
I HAVE CONTACTED THE UNI AND I AM NOT ELIGIBLE FOR A PARKING PERMIT FOR THE YEAR AS IT ONLY COVERS EVENINGS AND WEEKENDS.

DOES ANYONE KNOW OF ANY LOCAL CAR PARKS/FREE PARKING AVAILABLE TO STUDENTS LIVING IN HALLS?

PANICKING NOW AS I WILL HAVE NOWHERE TO KEEP MY CAR!
THANKS!
RACHAEL.:confused:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey Rachel, ive been at uclan for 3 years and had my car up for 2. Parking is a pure pain in the ass. If ur living in IQ Kopa u have the road outside that u can park on but it tough to find a parking space. THeirs lots of side streets that u can park on but their time restricted so some will have a 3hour limits, some with a 2 hour and some with even a 1. Some halls will allow u to park in their own car park i.e. Roeburn but parking is really a pain. If ur not gonna be driving it much and only on placement and when ur going home u will be ok but if ur gonna be commuting its gonna be very difficult.

Im doing mental health nursing in 2013 and gonna be commuting in so i know the pain in the ass its gonna be lol Dont get me wrong, their is parking but u just gotta know where to look to find it and remember theirs like 10,000+ students at uclan and imagine how many will be commuting in, limitied parking spaces but dont let that put u off bringin ur car, it makes life so much easier around campus for when ur doing shopping or wanna take friend and go for a drive somewhere. x
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website
Original post by Sully_89
Hey Rachel, ive been at uclan for 3 years and had my car up for 2. Parking is a pure pain in the ass. If ur living in IQ Kopa u have the road outside that u can park on but it tough to find a parking space. THeirs lots of side streets that u can park on but their time restricted so some will have a 3hour limits, some with a 2 hour and some with even a 1. Some halls will allow u to park in their own car park i.e. Roeburn but parking is really a pain. If ur not gonna be driving it much and only on placement and when ur going home u will be ok but if ur gonna be commuting its gonna be very difficult.

Im doing mental health nursing in 2013 and gonna be commuting in so i know the pain in the ass its gonna be lol Dont get me wrong, their is parking but u just gotta know where to look to find it and remember theirs like 10,000+ students at uclan and imagine how many will be commuting in, limitied parking spaces but dont let that put u off bringin ur car, it makes life so much easier around campus for when ur doing shopping or wanna take friend and go for a drive somewhere. x

Thankyou for replying!
I am looking at various halls at the moment around the IQ Kopa area, such as roeburn and walked street halls.
I have been in contact with the uni but it's proving difficult to find out where to park!
I will need my car the whole time I am away at uni for placement and commuting at weekends. Where did you park when you last stayed in Preston?
Rachael x
Reply 3
Original post by rachael--louise
Thankyou for replying!
I am looking at various halls at the moment around the IQ Kopa area, such as roeburn and walked street halls.
I have been in contact with the uni but it's proving difficult to find out where to park!
I will need my car the whole time I am away at uni for placement and commuting at weekends. Where did you park when you last stayed in Preston?
Rachael x

Well im graduating this year in counselling and psychotherapy and decided to do MH nursing so ill be commuting. I lived in IQ Kopa and just parked on the road outside. Id park on the side streets where it was time limited and when i saw a spot outside on the main road id run and wizz it round the block and park it on the road cuz that the only place theats free really.

As for halls, id definately recommend en-suite halls, the rest are horrible and ull be sharing with like 6 other people...and as u can imagine, 6 people, one shower/bath... never works out lol so go for en suite. Ive lived in IQ for the last 3 years and loved it here. But if u can get here on an open day ge urself down and check the place out. If not im still here til like the end of June so if u want a little campus tour just give us a shout. (Just aslong as its not end of april cus i have a million deadlines) lol x
Well im graduating this year in counselling and psychotherapy and decided to do MH nursing so ill be commuting. I lived in IQ Kopa and just parked on the road outside. Id park on the side streets where it was time limited and when i saw a spot outside on the main road id run and wizz it round the block and park it on the road cuz that the only place theats free really.

As for halls, id definately recommend en-suite halls, the rest are horrible and ull be sharing with like 6 other people...and as u can imagine, 6 people, one shower/bath... never works out lol so go for en suite. Ive lived in IQ for the last 3 years and loved it here. But if u can get here on an open day ge urself down and check the place out. If not im still here til like the end of June so if u want a little campus tour just give us a shout. (Just aslong as its not end of april cus i have a million deadlines) lol x

Oh great! I have booked to go and look at cosmo walker street and moor lane halls next Monday, I have contacted the uni about visiting some more places on the same day, so I can make the most of my time in Preston, but they have yet to email me back!!
I am definitely looking at ensuite rooms, possibly a mini flat in Pendle halls but they are really limited!
Fingers crossed I get what I ask for though! Can't wait to move :smile:
Thankyou for the offer!
Rachael x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Oh great! I have booked to go and look at cosmo walker street and moor lane halls next Monday, I have contacted the uni about visiting some more places on the same day, so I can make the most of my time in Preston, but they have yet to email me back!!
I am definitely looking at ensuite rooms, possibly a mini flat in Pendle halls but they are really limited!
Fingers crossed I get what I ask for though! Can't wait to move :smile:
Thankyou for the offer!
Rachael x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cosmo walker street is really good and u get a double bed as well and the rooms are bigger than kopas too. I would have lived there but the only thing was cosmo was only built last year so i couldnt. If i had to say, id say go for cosmo. Moor lane is next door to kopa and its okaaaayish... out of the three en suite halls id say...
1. Cosmo, Walker Street
2. Kopa
3. Roeburn
4. Moor Lane

Their all an equal distance from the uni but once u get here u can have a good look around and decide for urself what suits u best :smile:
x
Cosmo walker street is really good and u get a double bed as well and the rooms are bigger than kopas too. I would have lived there but the only thing was cosmo was only built last year so i couldnt. If i had to say, id say go for cosmo. Moor lane is next door to kopa and its okaaaayish... out of the three en suite halls id say...
1. Cosmo, Walker Street
2. Kopa
3. Roeburn
4. Moor Lane

Their all an equal distance from the uni but once u get here u can have a good look around and decide for urself what suits u best :smile:
x

Sounds promising! Yeh I went for the uni open day but only managed to get to look at Kopa and moor lane halls before I had to attend another induction lecture.
Walker street does look lovely online, so hopefully better in person. The rooms seem really tidy, clean and fresh. Same goes for the shared kitchen/living room.
How come you have decided to commute this year?
How old are you if you don't mind me asking?
Rachael .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Sounds promising! Yeh I went for the uni open day but only managed to get to look at Kopa and moor lane halls before I had to attend another induction lecture.
Walker street does look lovely online, so hopefully better in person. The rooms seem really tidy, clean and fresh. Same goes for the shared kitchen/living room.
How come you have decided to commute this year?
How old are you if you don't mind me asking?
Rachael .

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well i just feel ive been at uni now, lived the student life of partying and getting drunk and stumbling home singing songs lol making friends and seen people come and goo and its time i mature up a bit now and act civilised haha Also living out u get into alot of debt (student overdraft) and its about time i got out of it and had some real money rather that living out my overdraft. Gonna commute next year and hopefully that will give me a bit more spending money at the end of the money. Wont have to worry about rent or food shopping and all the rest. Im 23, so not an old man just yet lol ive just got bored of clubbing and and much rather go to the pub with some friends and chill x
Well i just feel ive been at uni now, lived the student life of partying and getting drunk and stumbling home singing songs lol making friends and seen people come and goo and its time i mature up a bit now and act civilised haha Also living out u get into alot of debt (student overdraft) and its about time i got out of it and had some real money rather that living out my overdraft. Gonna commute next year and hopefully that will give me a bit more spending money at the end of the money. Wont have to worry about rent or food shopping and all the rest. Im 23, so not an old man just yet lol ive just got bored of clubbing and and much rather go to the pub with some friends and chill x

Yeah I understand, I don't think I'm up to all that myself, and I have never even been to uni. I hopefully won't be in much debt due to it being a nhs course. I'm 22, 23 in September so don't class me as old either, maybe just a mature student! Lol. I'm one for staying in, studying and enjoying the simple social affairs! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Yeah I understand, I don't think I'm up to all that myself, and I have never even been to uni. I hopefully won't be in much debt due to it being a nhs course. I'm 22, 23 in September so don't class me as old either, maybe just a mature student! Lol. I'm one for staying in, studying and enjoying the simple social affairs! X

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha couldnt have put it better myself lol i just fine the whole this ... silly! Paying money to go inside a building to dance, and the paying even more money to get drunk when u can get drunk for a fraction of the price and still have ur friends around u lol maybe im just becoming morbid and boring lol pizza in bed and a movie on netflix is fine by me lol Hence another reason for me moving home but if i had the money and could still afford to run a car and live out id jump at the chance. THe freedom of having no one to nag u to tell u to get outta bed and get dressed and tell u what to do is bliss lol walk around in ur jams all day and do nothing lol but nursing is pretty full on so im guessing their aint gonna be much chilling and relaxing in our jams haha soat u been doing these last few years before uni? what made you wanna come to uni and do nursing? x
Haha couldnt have put it better myself lol i just fine the whole this ... silly! Paying money to go inside a building to dance, and the paying even more money to get drunk when u can get drunk for a fraction of the price and still have ur friends around u lol maybe im just becoming morbid and boring lol pizza in bed and a movie on netflix is fine by me lol Hence another reason for me moving home but if i had the money and could still afford to run a car and live out id jump at the chance. THe freedom of having no one to nag u to tell u to get outta bed and get dressed and tell u what to do is bliss lol walk around in ur jams all day and do nothing lol but nursing is pretty full on so im guessing their aint gonna be much chilling and relaxing in our jams haha soat u been doing these last few years before uni? what made you wanna come to uni and do nursing? x

I'm quite independent so I have my own car and am looking forward to moving out.
I have worked in a nursing home for four years working towards nvq3 and other various certificates such as palliative care. i applied last year but it all got changed from diploma to degree so my qualifications weren't enough to fit the criteria. So I had to I back to college before applying again this year where I was invited to 4/5 interviews and got 4/5 offers! So I had a great choice!
How about you?
Rachael

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
I'm quite independent so I have my own car and am looking forward to moving out.
I have worked in a nursing home for four years working towards nvq3 and other various certificates such as palliative care. i applied last year but it all got changed from diploma to degree so my qualifications weren't enough to fit the criteria. So I had to I back to college before applying again this year where I was invited to 4/5 interviews and got 4/5 offers! So I had a great choice!
How about you?
Rachael

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well i went to college and cuz i was a divvy and messed about i had to do three years at college. Then originally enrolled at UCLan to do policing but after a year and not being able to get into the lancashire constabulary i packed that in and started counselling and psychotherapy. Been doing that for three years and graduate this year and because i will need a licence to practise counselling which is like 10grand i decided to take you MH nursing cuz its different and do something which i will get satisfaction out of as well. Just in library now and gonna be here for like 4 hours finishing dissertation lol and then gotta print it, then back here again tomorrow for other deadlines i have to meet for the endo f the month lol Welcome to uni life haha x
Well i went to college and cuz i was a divvy and messed about i had to do three years at college. Then originally enrolled at UCLan to do policing but after a year and not being able to get into the lancashire constabulary i packed that in and started counselling and psychotherapy. Been doing that for three years and graduate this year and because i will need a licence to practise counselling which is like 10grand i decided to take you MH nursing cuz its different and do something which i will get satisfaction out of as well. Just in library now and gonna be here for like 4 hours finishing dissertation lol and then gotta print it, then back here again tomorrow for other deadlines i have to meet for the endo f the month lol Welcome to uni life haha x

So you have done a bit of everything then I suppose? My friend studied at uclan for policing and now works away :smile: he did the whole thing i think though? Nursing is great, have you worked in any kind of care before?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
So you have done a bit of everything then I suppose? My friend studied at uclan for policing and now works away :smile: he did the whole thing i think though? Nursing is great, have you worked in any kind of care before?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No not really, done loads of youth work but not done anything specifically health related lol Whats ur name on facebook? ill add you and ill join ur group :smile: x
No not really, done loads of youth work but not done anything specifically health related lol Whats ur name on facebook? ill add you and ill join ur group :smile: x

I have posted the link everywhere for people to find it :smile:

http://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/groups/229003517241240?ref=bookmark&__user=1219716790

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15

The link just taken me to my own facebook newsfeed? :s-smilie: x
Erm okay, that's odd.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't know what else to do.. Did you try google the page?
I might have to create a page rather than a group?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
I don't know what else to do.. Did you try google the page?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah nothings coming up on google either :frown: x
Yeah nothings coming up on google either :frown: x

I might have to make a page rather than a group. Ill do it tomorrow then let you know!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending