The Student Room Group

Grades on course?

Just wondering wether 7 A* 2 A's and 2 B's is enough at GCSE to be considered for oxbridge? I have been to a lacklustre comprehensive and have been offered a place at a exemplary grammer school sixth form, will this help?
Reply 1
Yes this is fine, they only look for a level grades anyway :smile: but your gcse grades are more than good :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Cheers mate! People keep asking about GCSE requirement so I thought I should see if I'm ok!
Reply 3
Original post by Jalber1
Just wondering wether 7 A* 2 A's and 2 B's is enough at GCSE to be considered for oxbridge? I have been to a lacklustre comprehensive and have been offered a place at a exemplary grammer school sixth form, will this help?

The average for Oxbridge is 6A*s at GCSE, more important are your AS results and your A2 predicted grades (or IB)
Remember many people get 10A*s or more so 6A*s as an average means people with fewer also get in :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Smuu
Yes this is fine, they only look for a level grades anyway :smile: but your gcse grades are more than good :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oxford are very critical of GCSE grades, Cambridge however look at UMS score at A-level more:biggrin:
Reply 5
That's odd! Do you know why?
Reply 6
Original post by Jalber1

Cambridge did some research and found that AS module grades were the best predicter of future performance available to them - Oxford haven't adopted this policy.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Smuu
Yes this is fine, they only look for a level grades anyway :smile:

This is very much not the case.

The thing is, almost every Oxbridge candidate has at least AAA. It is not a very good differentiating factor any more.

Original post by joostan
The average for Oxbridge is 6A*s at GCSE, more important are your AS results and your A2 predicted grades (or IB)
Remember many people get 10A*s or more so 6A*s as an average means people with fewer also get in :smile:

This source shows the average at Oxford in 2008 was 7.6A*. It would be reasonable to assume its >8 these days. 13% of offers were to people with 4 or less A* though, so the rest remains true.

Original post by Jalber1

Oxford also make greater use of admissions tests. Its just what the admissions researchers have found to work for them.

Original post by joostan
Cambridge did some research and found that AS module grades were the best predicter of future performance available to them - Oxford haven't yet adopted this policy. have also done research and found GCSE/admissions tests worked best for them

Corrected ^
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending