The Student Room Group

Declining 'best' uni

Scroll to see replies

I haven't personally but one of my best friends declined Cambridge for Manchester, he said he wouldn't of been happy and felt too under pressure to go for something he wouldn't enjoy in the end. I told him he's stupid but if he's gonna be happier at a different university then I'm happy for him.
Reply 81
It depends how one defines 'best', I suppose. Two of my 'kids' declined universities that some would consider better than their chosen one. One declined UCL for the University of Birmingham, the other declined Durham (Castle) for U o B. Both did very well there.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 82
Original post by gerahumu
The first time I applied for uni, I rejected Durham in favour of Keele.

That is drastic.:biggrin:
Reply 83
Original post by Pippaaa
i declined durham for kcl (law). at the time several people around me thought durham was more prestigious than kcl, and i have no idea what people would think now.

i'd actually initially accepted durham on the basis that it was the 'better' option, but i'd visited on the offerholder trip realised the location and size wasn't right for me. i just didn't feel happy with my decision. so i went on a kcl offerholder day, felt much happier at a city university and loved kcl in particular, and changed my firm in the cooling off period.

i definitely felt initial pressure to pick the 'best' university, but as a final year, i don't regret my decision at all. i've loved kcl and my opinion (as someone at the end of the process) is to go wherever you feel happiest - in my situation the difference was marginal at most, but i don't think i would have achieved as much and been as involved in my student community and had the opportunities i have if i'd gone to a university that was 'better' but i wasn't happier at. put briefly, you get out what you put in, and i personally put more in when i'm happier :smile:

I really can't see on what grounds you see Durham as more prestigious than KCL for Law.
Reply 84
Original post by LutherVan
I really can't see on what grounds you see Durham as more prestigious than KCL for Law.

did you actually read my post?

at the time several people around me thought durham was more prestigious than kcl, and i have no idea what people would think now.

i'm not commenting on their prestige now; this was for 2008 entry, influenced by the opinions of those around me at school and in my family. my decision now would be much easier. i reiterate, i don't know what people would think now of the two universities' prestige (and nor do i much care; as i said, i'm very happy with my choice). so i do not currently see durham as more prestigious than kcl for law.
Original post by Oli-Ol
I declined Cambridge for Durham. Still agonising over it because most people believe that it was the wrong decision. I suppose I'll find out when I get there.

get the grades first you muppet.
Original post by LutherVan
That is drastic.:biggrin:

I know hahah. But I really liked Keele when I looked round and felt really at home there. I didn't actually go in the end because I decided prestige mattered a little bit and I had grades good enough to go to a Russel Group. But I didn't like Durham at all, I only applied because my Mum really liked it and wanted me to go there and I had a spare choice.
Reply 87
So I've finally firmed York and declined Durham! That was such a hard decision, as you can see from the fact that I started this thread, but it's time to get over it and be excited about York :smile:
I declined ICL and Warwick .... just way too expensive.
Original post by boredbeth13
So I've finally firmed York and declined Durham! That was such a hard decision, as you can see from the fact that I started this thread, but it's time to get over it and be excited about York :smile:

Really !! I had offer from York and Nottingham for Economics but wish I could get into Durham !!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 90
Original post by .snowflake.
Declined UCL for Sheffield. Don't regret it at all, and to be honest, most people around me didnt blame me for doing it after finding out what my interview was like.

Out of curiosity, how did your interview go, if you don't mind my asking? It must have been pretty abysmal to have made you decline the offer.
I declined KCL for Nottingham Trent aha which is quite a step down in some people's eyes. But I've run my own limited company and got a job for the next five years after being here one year as well as living in such great city so it was definitely the right choice :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I picked UEA over Bath, even though as general uni's Bath is higher in the league tables, UEA is higher for my particular course (Number 1 in the country right now), and as much as I loved Bath, UEA felt like home, so that settled it for me. I love it here (although not right now, too many sodding exams!). Plus, prestige doesn't matter for my course so it's all good. I also figured that if I did miss my conditional for Bath, I would always resent being at UEA because I hadn't got in to Bath, so I took my unconditional for UEA (gotta love going through the Scottish school system :lol:), took a lot of pressure off me. Also, Bath is a more expensive city and I figured I would enjoy my time more as a student if I lived in Norwich. I love Norwich, if it was a person I would marry it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 93
Original post by astrojg
I much preferred durham to cambridge also. (Firmed bristol though because of course comparer to Durham)

My Aunt was telling me not long ago about how she turned down Cambridge for Bristol. She just didn't like the feel of the place after attending the interview apparently. That was like 15 years ago though :tongue:
Original post by danielaandrea
I haven't personally but one of my best friends declined Cambridge for Manchester, he said he wouldn't of been happy and felt too under pressure to go for something he wouldn't enjoy in the end. I told him he's stupid but if he's gonna be happier at a different university then I'm happy for him.

My godfather went to Oxford and hated it, he went to a different uni for his Masters and loved it there, I think being happy at your university is very important, it's not stupid rejecting Oxbridge if you think you'd be miserable, maybe someone else got his place who was dying to go. That's a better thing to do if he really didn't want to be there. Besides, Manchester's a good uni.
What would you say about the difference between Durham and York? Do you think it'd still be a good decision to choose York? I know it's about what's best for me as a person but i's interesting to hear what others think, especially since I'm going insane trying to make this decision.

Depends what for...

I imagine Durham surpasses York for pretty much everything.

I really, really wish I could have gone to Durham but since I live there I'd have just came home every weekend and ruined my student experience. Sad times.
Original post by McMurdo
Out of curiosity, how did your interview go, if you don't mind my asking? It must have been pretty abysmal to have made you decline the offer.

First thing my interviewer said to me, before i'd even opened my mouth, 'you better not have a really strong northern accent, otherwise I won't be able to understand you'. I also don't think it helped that i'd been paired with a physical chemist, so she just looked bored when i spoke about why i liked organic chemistry. My interview itself was dire, god knows how i got an offer, i made some rediculous mistakes - in my defence, i'd been up since 4am that day. I'd been faffed about w.r.t my interview date, they pulled it forward by a week and given me a week's notice - tickets down to London to arrive get me there by 10am and leaving after 5pm AREN'T cheap at that short notice, even with a railcard, so had to fork out a further £90 for tickets and had an absolute 'mare getting that money back. The others who would have been in my year didn't feel particularly friendly compared to York/ Sheffield. On the open day, you saw very little of the department, which makes you wonder what they're trying to hide.
Has anyone declined their 'best' offer -as in the one from the uni highest on the league tables etc? How did you feel about it? Did you feel under pressure to firm the most respected university?

I declined KCL for LSBU due to many reasons including placement (I'm doing child nursing).

I definitely felt under pressure to accept Kings and even after I didn't a lot of people made me feel like I'd chosen wrong but after a few odd doubts here and there I definitely know I am going to the place best for me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Declined Imperial for York because of the course structure and living expenses. Imperial is certainly more renowned overall , but for my course (biochemistry) the league tables this year show them as having the same score. I didn't know this at the time when I firmed York, but it has made me feel much better since I found out. It has alleviated 90% of my worries :smile:
I know this is an UG thread but it's make me feel better about potentially declining LSE for Manchester for my Masters. I'm still deciding though, I'm so torn. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending