The Student Room Group

Which degree should I pursue?

Scroll to see replies

Thank you! Out of those, Bath Spa & Sheffield interest me.
Thank you to everyone who's replied! I've seen them and will now reply to each.
Original post by Mathaddict
Check out the combined honours on offer at Liverpool, Newcastle, and Birmingham (Liberal Arts there)?

I'm also surprised there aren't many options for Sociology/Business (have seen Sheffield pop up in a quick search though).

Thank you!

Original post by UnderPost
Joint honours in both?

But having gone through University myself the normal route (i.e straight from A level results in August, to Uni in Sept). If I could go back I would strongly advise somebody to just have a gap year. A gap year to think about your A level results and do some proper research about what you want to do. Read books, look into what the course is like. Base it on what you want to do, what jobs are available and what you enjoy.

In fact, I really hope that in the future that the UCAS system could change. I'd LOVE it if we were given our A-level results in July, applications open in August with Uni to start in October. This would help you choose a course based on results and also:
a) avoid the disappointment on results day of NOT getting into a course (and the panic that follows!) and
b) give those from non private schools a better chance of getting into Oxbridge.

I know if that had been the system when I was doing my A-levels I might have changed my choice of Uni. Instead- like you guys I have to "guess" what I might get and hope my referee on my application is kind with my predicted grades.

I think I'll do a joint honours. :smile:
You're the same as my teachers. They save if you're not sure what you want to do, take a year off for yourself. I have narrowed it down to business/sociology though from potentially 8 I wanted to do. :colondollar:

My thoughts as well! It would be nice to give us results in July as it gives us a clearer idea of the course we want to do, and I agree with that. :smile:
Original post by ~ Aquamarine ~
There are many places that offer joint courses in Sociology/Business. I've listed below a few examples as my friend is looking for a similar course. The entry requirments were for 2013 entry so they might change for when you apply.

You can do a combined honours at Liverpool university for Business Studies and Sociology - ABB

Aston University - Business and Sociology AAB-ABB

Bath Spa University - Business & Management/Sociology 260-300 UCAS points

University of Essex - Sociology and Management ABB-BBB

University of Glasgow - Sociology/Business & Management ABB

Manchester University - Business Studies and Sociology AAB

Oxford Brookes University - Business Management/Sociology BBB

University of Sheffield - Sociology and Business Management ABB

Hope i helped :smile:

Thank you, this is very helpful. :smile:
If you guys had to pick just one, which one would it be?
Does sociology cover any aspect of business or vice versa?
Original post by J W B

They are quite distinct disciplines. There really is no way to advise you which course to pick other than to take an in-depth look at the module outlines for each (at the unis which take your interest), and see which course appeals to you more overall.

One advantage with Sociology, as someone has pointed out, is you could later decide to do an MBA.:smile:
Reply 27
Original post by J W B

Business studies is a bit of a hotch potch of different disciplines and doesnt have its own uniquely distinct epistemologies. It takes fro all of the social sciences without really being one as it doesnt seek to explain underlying laws in the way that economics or sociology do. In terms of what it takes from sociology; it borrows very heavily from the sociology of work and the work done there in terms of organisational studies - why people behave the way they do in organisations, why do people take orders from managers etc. I am a social scientist but I have taught business, in my experience business studies doesnt really encourage students to think critically about the workd. There were two interesting developments in the 80s, critical management studies and critical accounting studies which tried to challenge the increasing right wing orthodoxies put out by management schools. Needless to say because of the right wing ideas of many business lecturers meant that 'theory' was considered unnecessary within business studies.

Do sociology but make contacts with the sorts of people who may be useful in the future.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by risteard
Business studies is a bit of a hotch potch of different disciplines and doesnt have its own uniquely distinct epistemologies. It takes fro all of the social sciences without really being one as it doesnt seek to explain underlying laws in the way that economics or sociology do. In terms of what it takes from sociology; it borrows very heavily from the sociology of work and the work done there in terms of organisational studies - why people behave the way they do in organisations, why do people take orders from managers etc. I am a social scientist but I have taught business, in my experience business studies doesnt really encourage students to think critically about the workd. There were two interesting developments in the 80s, critical management studies and critical accounting studies which tried to challenge the increasing right wing orthodoxies put out by management schools. Needless to say because of the right wing ideas of many business lecturers meant that 'theory' was considered unnecessary within business studies.

Do sociology but make contacts with the sorts of people who may be useful in the future.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! My teachers have also said sociology as it is helpful for business and develops your analytical skills. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending