The Student Room Group

Why do "young" people get so pissed off when they get ID'd?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Miss Jean Brodie
I get irritated because staff just look at your face and think 'Yep, underage', and don't take into account how you're conducting yourself, or the fact that you're buying a single bottle of wine in a week's food shopping. I have a youngish face but I'm clearly in my mid-twenties, so yeah, I get frustrated.

What's that got to do with anything? If they think you might be underage and you're trying to buy alcohol then they'll ask for ID. Whether you're buying alcopops or a bottle of wine with loads of food is irrelevant.
Reply 101
Original post by sweetestwave
That's where my original story of buying it when I was 12 happened. Maybe they just liked me :tongue:

Maybe, but it definitely says on the energy drink cans/bottles, unsuitable for young children and pregnant women. Also unsuitable for people sensitive to caffeine.

I started consuming Red Bull from the age of 15.

Personally, the fizzy Lucozade is an energy drink and yet there are no health warnings.
Original post by po10tial
Maybe, but it definitely says on the energy drink cans/bottles, unsuitable for young children and pregnant women. Also unsuitable for people sensitive to caffeine.

Personally, the fizzy Lucozade is an energy drink and yet there are no health warnings.

Yeah, the cans do say that, but it doesn't mean that shops can't sell it to those under 16(even if some shops won't), it's just a warning.
BTW, the customer returned today, just showed me her ID and left immediately.

I told her that there at least 6 other people working different shifts.

She was so bloody rude. I didn't assault her, or provoke her and yet she tries and proves a point.

Very contradictive girl. I don't get why this person can't go to store(s) just across the road. They sell the same cigarettes at a cheaper price.

Won't be happy to serve this customer in the near future. Will take a lot to change my mind. She was in the wrong and decided to swear and hurl abuse at me with other customers around. It's not acceptable.

I even had one customer tell the girl to learn some manners. The customer told her that she is starting **** for no reason and that our store is very friendly, reasonable and safe unlike many other shops around.

We serve our customers as quickly as we can and at the same time converse. We learn a lot from customers and take their views very seriously.

We have only had a few incidents but they only involved young people.

Personally, I saved the store their license, my criminal record and £5K, when undercover police sent a young boy to buy some cigarettes. I ID'd him and he left. The customer behind showed me his police badge and then told me that they planned an undercover transaction. They complimented me and told me to continue like this.

The same sort of thing happens to a lot of cashiers, it's happened to me but it's just a fact of life that people never empathise with people behind tills and kick off. It's happened to me and I had Eastern European men slagging me off in their language all because I ca';t accept Polish ID cards, not pleasant but all part of the job really :/
Reply 104

It's all to do with the caffeine content. Pregnant women are advised to cut back on caffeine intake and children are likely to be more sensitive to caffeine.
Reply 105
When I was 16 I tried to buy non alcoholic beer just to see if she ided me and she did, saying it was still brewed with alcohol, I just laughed and said go put it back on the shelf then, is there a limit?

Posted from TSR Mobile
cool story bro, needs more dragons n ****
I remember my 24 year old friend being asked for ID at 1pm on a Sunday going into a Wetherspoons with me and my parents. She said she didn't have any but we were only going for lunch and they said they couldn't let her in. Eventually my mum said fine well can I go use the disabled toilet (she is actually disabled) before we go find somewhere else to eat lunch did the bouncer say we could go in as long as neither me nor my friend went to the bar or we'd all be thrown out. And I had my ID on me and had shown it to the bouncer!
Original post by pricey26
I also work in a shop and get so many customers who have a go at you for IDing. Mostly I get 'call the manager, I've been served before'.

How do they expect you to remember them? Ok, in smaller shops you might do; but if you work in somewhere like Sainsburys, you probably won't remember them.
Reply 109
Original post by OU Student
How do they expect you to remember them? Ok, in smaller shops you might do; but if you work in somewhere like Sainsburys, you probably won't remember them.

Surprising how often I get this in my job at a pub. Dude, I see 100's of 18-25 year olds every week. It's like 'Dude, can you really blame me if I served you two week ago and I forgot your face'
(edited 11 years ago)

Original post by Tw1x
Surprising how often I get this in my job at a pub. Dude, I see 100's of 18-25 year olds every week. It's like 'Dude, can you really blame me if I served you two week ago and I forgot your fact?'

This. And I only volunteered in a small charity shop for a few years. (No alcohol, but age certificate videos/DVDs etc.) Unless they were an extremely regular or memorable customer, I was highly unlikely to remember what anyone looked like. Though, I am terrible at remembering names and faces anyway, but meh.

I seriously don't understand the indignation of 18/19 year olds when they get ID'd. I'm 23, still get ID'd pretty much every time I buy alcohol, and just hand it over. Simples.
Original post by treasureBelle

I seriously don't understand the indignation of 18/19 year olds when they get ID'd. I'm 23, still get ID'd pretty much every time I buy alcohol, and just hand it over. Simples.

Same. Is it me, or do older people (sorry, those of us in our 20s) seem to take it as a compliment; but the younger ones seem to not be too happy about getting id'd?

I know I will get id'd; so tend to hand it over when I hand my money over.

I know, that's exactly why we have that policy. Sometimes I think the people must be stupid. One girl even said once 'okay fine I'm going to get my passport photocopied and then have it here permanently.' I had to explain to her that a) a photocopy wouldn't be valid ID and b) if we did that for her then we would be expected to do that for everyone - imagine how long that would take if you had to find the right photocopy each time for the customer. She clearly had no brains.
Same. Is it me, or do older people (sorry, those of us in our 20s) seem to take it as a compliment; but the younger ones seem to not be too happy about getting id'd?

I know I will get id'd; so tend to hand it over when I hand my money over.

Meh, I don't see it so much as a "complement" (maybe at 23, I'm not really old enough to?), more just standard procedure in compliance with the law. I'm not at all offended either, I just see it as something that happens - like handing over your card/money to pay for it.

I guess at 18/19, some people are trying desperately to be "taken seriously as an adult" or something like that, and feel that being asked to prove their age is inferring that they look like a child?

Personally, I try and look at it from a legal point of view. (I'm not a law student, or trying to be pretentious, just trying to explain my thought process.)
A few years ago, I was called up for jury service, and served on a case where the charge put to the defendant was sexual assault. Now, while his actions were highly inappropriate and bang out of order, as a jury we couldn't prove his actions were sexual. So we returned a not guilty verdict - not because we didn't believe the victims about what happened, but because we couldn't prove it was sexual. We weren't allowed (of course) to return a guilty verdict on the basis of "I think".
Since serving on the jury, that's pretty much how I see being ID'd. If someone is selling me alcohol, or another age-restricted product, they can't sell it to me on the basis that they THINK I'm over the legal age, nevermind the fact I'm actually 23. Legally, they have to know FOR A FACT that I'm old enough to buy the product.
So yeah, that's how I think of it, and why I don't make a fuss or get offended (never have) about being ID'd. Even when I was 16 and went to buy my first lottery ticket, my local newsagent, who had known me for years, asked for ID - it's just his job.
Hi,

I work in a store and today I had a very abusive customer.

Was a girl and she became extremely abusive when I ID'd her and said that 'the owner and a younger boy (A MASSIVE LIE) had served her before and that if I call them they will confirm that she is over the legal age'.

It became obvious that she lied as soon as she said that a younger boy served her. In fact I am the youngest member of staff. When I told her that she said that the 'young boy' was shorter than me and looked 'older'. She completely contradicted her point and she swore at me in front of other customers.

Eventually she left by threatening me that she would tell the owner of the store. Won't work, because the owner's related to me and I have been working here for a year now. I'm an asset to this store.

My manager eventually came back from his lunch break and I told him the incident. Turns out, the girl is of legal age and he said that she has been abusive to other members of staff.

I don't get why she comes her when there are like 5 other shops just across the road. I for one, really hate serving very rude people. I was being polite and asked her nicely if she could provide me with ID. She failed to do just that

Im 22, i have facial hair im 6'3 i have a deep voice, yet im always id'ed by the same type of people just turned 18 who clearly know im overage. I GUARENTEE you knew she was overage but asked her anyway, and she went mad as she didnt have her id and just wanted a damn cig! dont be such a jobs worth its there to stop kids getting them not for you to feel like you have a bit of authority!
just to add i have never ever ever been id'ed y someone who looks over 25, there grown up about it and dont feel the need to ask ID when they know for a fact by using there eyes, its called common sense when theres a long queue and getting everyone on there way as quick as possible
Sometimes you can't help but feel that people are trolling you when they ask for your ID.

Loads of times as a child I was asked to prove that I was 16 or below to get a child ticket on the bus. I remember I was in year 7 and the driver was like "Do you have ID?" and I didn't. And it's not that I was one of those old looking kids, I was like 11/12, In a school uniform, like 5ft, no chest, and carried a cartoon backpack. He was clearly trolling, I feel a lot of them were at the time.

Anyway back to the topic, I think it's sometimes awkward when people ask for proof of age. But, it is necessary e.g. buying alcohol, but sometimes, when you clearly look older, and they clearly just ID you to show their power it's a bit annoying.
Loads of people find it intimidating, but your just doing your job, don't worry about it.
I got pissed off the other day in Costcutter. Gave him my passport as ID but he refused to sell to me due to being underage. I even explained to him how being born in Feb 95 makes you 18 but he would have none of it. Paid for my stuff and had to restrain myself from calling him a stupid c*nt since it is the only place to get products after 8 so don't want to get banned.
Original post by nevergohalfpace
I got pissed off the other day in Costcutter. Gave him my passport as ID but he refused to sell to me due to being underage. I even explained to him how being born in Feb 95 makes you 18 but he would have none of it. Paid for my stuff and had to restrain myself from calling him a stupid c*nt since it is the only place to get products after 8 so don't want to get banned.

I definitely think you have a right to be pissed off about that.
At our corner shop they have a thing that says 'Born after today's date in ____' and then they stick a new year on it every year and it's on the side of the till.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending