The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Naturally I'm gonna big imperial up because that's where I do physics but I did a good bit of research before applying.

I really liked Birmingham, the campus was amazing and everything looked really good. I didn't like Manchester as much. I also think Warwick, Bristol and UCL are good choices and obviously oxbridge.

Don't get put off that Cambridge don't do physics, their physics department (the Cavendish labratory) is legendary.
Original post by TooIntelligent
Wow. Are you stupid? I hope the Oxbridge "worth a look" comment was a joke... anyone wanting to go to university should be aiming for those. And Imperial is much better than UCL and KCL, so can you please not put them in the same league?!

I looked at Oxford but felt that the lecturers didn't give a **** about their students and that the idea was that you then went into banking. I was like: not going there...
Reply 22
Original post by swagadon
idk which to apply for, i dont really trust the rankings on the web because they all have different opinions, so can anyone tell me which are the best, and what undergraduates actually have said about them? thank you! :biggrin:

For straight physics, Oxford and Imperial are better than Cambridge, but for a more rounded "physical sciences" course, then Cambridge is what you want! You'll do alot of stuff like rock science there too :smile:

As for the other 2, Manchester is pretty good for all round physics too; it has a high quality of teaching; as for the 5th there is some debate around it, but I wouldn't say at all its Durham like some people have said. Most likely to be Warwick or Birmingham!
Isn't Imperial just amazing?! :biggrin:

Well they want you to get into a good job. That is a good thing - it shows they care about you and your future.

Funnily enough I'm studying physics because it's what I love and what I want to do with the rest of my life. I wanted (and now am) to be surrounded by other students who felt the same way. Most people I know here want to go and do PhDs. That's exactly the type of people who are in a good physics department - not those who just want to earn money.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Funnily enough I'm studying physics because it's what I love and what I want to do with the rest of my life. I wanted (and now am) to be surrounded by other students who felt the same way. Most people I know here want to go and do PhDs. That's exactly the type of people who are in a good physics department - not those who just want to earn money.

YES YES YES.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is so true.

I love imperial but it seems like they put a lot of effort into funneling everyone into city jobs when they finish. Most people end up working in the big banks when they graduate and forget about physics alltogether.

Worse still, some people choose degrees at imperial just so they can get a job in the city.
Reply 26
At undergraduate physics does it matter all that much? I think if your interested in a career in physics OP, then where you did your PhD will be more of an interest to employers. So not going to Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL etc isn't going to have a detrimental impact on your career.
Original post by stuart_aitken

Original post by therisenmitten
This is so true.

I love imperial but it seems like they put a lot of effort into funneling everyone into city jobs when they finish. Most people end up working in the big banks when they graduate and forget about physics alltogether.

Worse still, some people choose degrees at imperial just so they can get a job in the city.

I love that people finally agree.

Ok then. Enjoy your life.

So you are saying the students make a department bad? Some logic :rolleyes: It's teaching quality/job prospects. You will get many people who want to study physics at all physics departments, funnily enough.

A department is made good or bad by all the people in it. And Sussex understand that. They know that their students are proud to be at Sussex and the students know the lecturers are proud of the department too. It is that love that makes Sussex a brilliant place to study physics. Everyone involved is determined to make it better every day. The head of the department will often pop into the student study area to ask for opinions on any changes that are being made etc so he can work for the students and staffs interests rather than just assuming what is best. I'm glad I'm somewhere that the students views are important.
In my opinion,
1 Cambridge (although it's Natural Science which is what I study, if you just want physics then this is probably second)
2 Oxford (first if you JUST want physics)
3 Warwick (Maths with Physics)
4 Imperial
5 Bristol/UCL
Reply 30
Original post by MENDACIUM
Hi there,

Could you please explain as to how Imperial opens up doors for a physics degree holder to go into investment banking? How on earth does that work?

Are you being sarcastic or is it a genuine question?
Original post by Melthusa
For straight physics, Oxford and Imperial are better than Cambridge, but for a more rounded "physical sciences" course, then Cambridge is what you want! You'll do alot of stuff like rock science there too :smile:

I am in my third year of studying Physics at Cambridge. I did Materials Science and Chemistry in my first year (no "rock science" although there was a Geology option), but only did Physics and Maths in my second year and only do Physics now. I have definitely covered as much Physics as in a degree at another university! We do General Relativity in third year which is not compulsory for either Imperial or Oxford (I think - just did a quick google!) and is a very difficult conceptual course.

You should enjoy other sciences to do Natural Sciences but it is definitely a good and thorough Physics course!
Reply 32
Original post by Topaz_eyes
I am in my third year of studying Physics at Cambridge. I did Materials Science and Chemistry in my first year (no "rock science" although there was a Geology option), but only did Physics and Maths in my second year and only do Physics now. I have definitely covered as much Physics as in a degree at another university! We do General Relativity in third year which is not compulsory for either Imperial or Oxford (I think - just did a quick google!) and is a very difficult conceptual course.

You should enjoy other sciences to do Natural Sciences but it is definitely a good and thorough Physics course!

Another uni or all other unis?
Original post by MENDACIUM
Hi there,

Could you please explain as to how Imperial opens up doors for a physics degree holder to go into investment banking? How on earth does that work?

Are you serious? :s-smilie: If genuine, which part of my statement confuses you?

Original post by SamHedges
Accurate username is accurate.

Thank you very much.

Original post by Star-girl
I never said anything about London Met... :lolwut: As for your last statement, I don't agree. For example, a good degree from Warwick/Durham/etc. would put you in a very good position for a job in investment banking. Oxbridge/Imperial aren't the only unis where you can get a degree that will get you into a well paid job...

Whereas I believe that Oxbridge/Imperial are certainly in the top 5 for degrees in physics and generally getting a good job, I think that you are being too close-minded about other unis.

It was just an analogy. Ok, a good degree from Warwick/Durham would, but I still believe someone applying for IB with the exact same extra-curricular/work experience/degree classification from Imperial/Oxbridge would be at an advantage just because of the name. I will retract my previous statement and say this then:

Oxbridge/Imperial >> Than others. However, others (Warwick, Durham and UCL) are not that bad, just not as good.

Original post by uniphysics
In my opinion,
1 Cambridge (although it's Natural Science which is what I study, if you just want physics then this is probably second)
2 Oxford (first if you JUST want physics)
3 Warwick (Maths with Physics)
4 Imperial
5 Bristol/UCL

LOLOLLOLOL. Warwick above Imperial?! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL :congrats::congrats::congrats:

:crazy::crazy::crazy:
Reply 34
Original post by bistonut
These sort of threads alllways cause massive debates so I'll try and keep it objective.

As a general guide, most people put oxford, cambridge and Imperial in as the top 3. Other common "top 5" consist of Durham, Manchester, UCL and a few more.

I go Durham and love it. I've had varying opinions about others- the main "horror" stories being from cambridge and Imperial really, but with some people loving them.

your prediction is correct
Reply 35
Original post by raiden95
http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/
Have you tried this?

yep ive tried pretty much all of them and they all have different ranks
Quite subjective on what makes a good Physics department. I'd probably say if you were to on reputation then the five would probably be something like Oxbridge, Imperial, Manchester and something else.. (Nottingham is supposed to be very good). Personally I chose Imperial and UCL as I love London and those are supposed to be very good universities and there is a lot of maths in the Imperial course! :biggrin:
Reply 37
I looked at Oxford but felt that the lecturers didn't give a **** about their students and that the idea was that you then went into banking. I was like: not going there...

really!? aw man i was hoping to go there haha
Reply 38
yep ive tried pretty much all of them and they all have different ranks

Why don't you pick the university YOU like when you visit places.
Please don't hate on this guys, but IMO, the rankings would go something like:
-Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial
- UCL, Durham, Warwick
- Nottingham, Birmingham, Manchester, St Andrews
- KCL, Southampton, Bath, Edinburgh, Bristol
But seriously OP, don't base your decision on rankings! As I said earlier, if you are looking to have a career in physics then where you do your PhD is a lot more important than where you do your undergrad.

Edit: If your not looking for a career in physics, but something like finance, then a London university would "probably" be a good idea since they are likely to have greater connections with finance firms. But it all depends on what YOU want to do and what aspects of physics you are interested in.
(edited 11 years ago)
idk which to apply for, i dont really trust the rankings on the web because they all have different opinions, so can anyone tell me which are the best, and what undergraduates actually have said about them? thank you! :biggrin:

Hello.Well Professor Brian Cox teaches Quantum and something else to 1st years at Manchester. Because of this,you need A*A*A to get in. But he only teaches 1st years,and in the first term.!

Latest

Trending

Trending