The Student Room Group

Is M1 maths easy?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
mechanics helps with physics, not really the other way round, the mechanics in physics requires barely any maths, even though M1 is a stupid module in itself as you have too many assumptions eg; no air resistance. but its a nice basis overall i guess
Original post by Noble.
About 595/600 or so.

wow! Well done :smile: Was the A* grade in use when you were doing Alevels?
Reply 22
Original post by upthegunners
wow! Well done :smile: Was the A* grade in use when you were doing Alevels?

Yep, I sat A-Levels the year the A* was introduced.
Original post by Noble.
Yep, I sat A-Levels the year the A* was introduced.

Lucky! Bet you were well chuffed!
I thought it was more difficult than the others but still quite easy... Then I got my results :lol:

Don't know how I dropped 10 marks :eek:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I thought it was more difficult than the others but still quite easy... Then I got my results :lol:

Don't know how I dropped 10 marks :eek:

10 marks buddy

wouldn't lose any sleep over it :yy:
Original post by PrinceyJ
The mechanics part of physics is not that big at all, and far less in depth than what we get in M1. I'd say that people who take physics are generally better at it because they'll but the more scientifically inclined than those who take other subjects instead.

Ah that makes sense, I don't do any sciencey subjects so that's probably why I find it difficult.
Reply 27
Lucky! Bet you were well chuffed!

Yes and no. Chemistry was the only A-Level I put real work into, so I was expecting an A* but not really such a high overall mark.
10 marks buddy

wouldn't lose any sleep over it :yy:

But yeah, I agree. It's all resolving and then simultaneously solving the equations...

Although the hanging particles, two ropes and you want tensions? From two walls. Those simultaneous ones can be a bugger :lol:
Reply 29
I have heard people talk of how hard M1 Mechanics is in Alevel Maths?

I really don't find it difficult at all; is this normal? I just can't see what people find difficult about it.. In 90% of the questions you'll just have to resolve forces and use a simultaneous equation..

Anyone agree? I don't know if I should be finding it this easy. But I am. :confused:

It's a joke.
Original post by Noble.
Yes and no. Chemistry was the only A-Level I put real work into, so I was expecting an A* but not really such a high overall mark.

A* in Alevel Chemistry seems to be notoriously difficult to get. I have yet to meet anyone who has achieved it :gigg:

Nonetheless..an A in Alevel Chemistry is still fantastic.
Reply 31
Original post by Noble.
No, M1 and M2 aren't really that challenging, it's M3-M5 where it starts getting interesting/challenging.

The old Edexcel M6 book looks quite fun :smile:
It depends also on which exam board you're with, I've heard AQA are apparently the easiest for Maths and OCR are the hardest. I did OCR and they do often put a few tricky questions into their papers and the grade boundaries are really quite high too, even more so for Further Maths!
Reply 33
Original post by davros
The old Edexcel M6 book looks quite fun :smile:

Ah yes, my teacher gave me an M6 book to look at over the summer - I would've liked to sit that as well.
Reply 34
yes m1 is easy if you are good at maths and physics and those sort of subjects. personally i think if u are interested in the subject you will find more easy and more willing to do past papers. :smile:

by the way i found a really interesting time passer of a website, just search postcomment123 on google and its the first link, where you just comment random things, without the need to register its great the link is https://sites.google.com/site/postcomment123/
Reply 35
Original post by Noble.
No, M1 and M2 aren't really that challenging, it's M3-M5 where it starts getting interesting/challenging.

true that , m1 and m2 look like nursery stuff when you start doing m3, what modules are you doing? m3 is killing me right now , i somehow managed to finish the book , but it takes me so long to answer some questions, i am dreading this exam, :smile:
I HATED M1 with a passion, I really wanted to do D2 instead but they insisted on M1 :frown:

But loads of people I know find M1 dead easily and Decision really hard, so i think its personal preference.

I can see physical things much better so route finding and sorting in Decision clicked with me whereas Mechanics required thinking about things that just weren't there in my mind so I struggled :frown:
It really depends on the individual. I did both M1 and S1 and met people who found one hard and the other easy; some found both hard; some found both easy. I personally found the latter elements of mechanics a tricky at first but once I did a few past papers, it was so straightforward that I got almost full marks in the exam.
Reply 38
Original post by rany345
true that , m1 and m2 look like nursery stuff when you start doing m3, what modules are you doing? m3 is killing me right now , i somehow managed to finish the book , but it takes me so long to answer some questions, i am dreading this exam, :smile:

I'm doing Mathematics I, II, III, IV, V... i.e. I'm not doing A-Levels anymore :tongue:
Reply 39
Original post by Noble.
I'm doing Mathematics I, II, III, IV, V... i.e. I'm not doing A-Levels anymore :tongue:

dam , thats crazy , how m4 and m5 compared to m3 . im doing the edexcel spec

Quick Reply

Latest