The Student Room Group

Geography GCSE help.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kat_allen
Gosh this turned into a rather nasty argument over a simple question!
To the person who originally asked the question about getting an A* at geography gcse:

Wasn't meant to be, just simply stating what you said later on in your post, that someone didn't like.

You just need to revise :smile: revise the entire revision guide, but don't rely on it completely. You also need a couple case study for each area of study, eg. if there is a section on volcanoes, a section on globalisation, a section on sustainability, etc etc, then get one MEDC case study and one LEDC case study for each section. Try not to go for the basic normal ones, if you go for slightly less heard of ones, it shows the examiner you have researched properly, rather than just using whatever is in the text book.

New ones are good as well, there's usually something going on around exam time, there was once something that happened a day or two before the exam, and if that happens this year, include it.

Make sure you do lots of practice papers and ask your teacher to mark them harshly. You can either get a really nice examiner or a really harsh examiner, so air on the side of caution and have practice papers marked harshly.

When answering questions, make sure you actually answer the question, eg. if it asks for a local case study on seismic activity, don't go talking about the San Sandreas fault line in California, talk about something local (at least in England).
Also, be concise when you answer questions, don't waffle on for ages, examiners will get annoyed with reading waffle if it isn't necessary. Please note, you don't need to rewrite the question in the first line of your answer, especially if it's a small mark answer. Another important point is to use correct terminology whenever you can :smile:

I hope all this helps, and feel free to privately message me if you need any more help, I've been through the gcse and almost finished the alevel :smile:

Agree with all of that, with the way the current government want exams marked, harshly is the best way to think you'll be marked.
Original post by clareramos

New ones are good as well, there's usually something going on around exam time, there was once something that happened a day or two before the exam, and if that happens this year, include it.

Agree with all of that, with the way the current government want exams marked, harshly is the best way to think you'll be marked.

Yes you're right, I forgot to put that in :smile: up to date case studies are always good. And yes, exam papers are being marked so harshly at the moment.
Original post by SEanYY
Hello! I am doing CCEA geography and I am using the revision guide to revise.
I was just wondering is it possible to get an a* from revising from this?
Thanks in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it is, however it really depends on the revision guide you're using. My exam board was Edexcel - I used the official Edexcel book and also the the revision guides for the official Edexcel books to make notes.
I think the only thing to really worry about is: knowing every thing in the revision guide well enough to answer a question about it. Make sure there are no gaps in your knowledge and you'll be fine!

Best of luck!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Olympiad
I'm liking this debate *gets the popcorn*

Posted from TSR Mobile

there's not actually a huge amount of difference, just topics you do and how much detail you go into. A Level is more technical, as are the skills, you're skills are also assessed differently rather than coursework it's an exam. other than that what you actually learn and what they're looking for in the answers isn't different.

Gosh this turned into a rather nasty argument over a simple question!
To the person who originally asked the question about getting an A* at geography gcse:

You just need to revise :smile: revise the entire revision guide, but don't rely on it completely. You also need a couple case study for each area of study, eg. if there is a section on volcanoes, a section on globalisation, a section on sustainability, etc etc, then get one MEDC case study and one LEDC case study for each section. Try not to go for the basic normal ones, if you go for slightly less heard of ones, it shows the examiner you have researched properly, rather than just using whatever is in the text book.

Make sure you do lots of practice papers and ask your teacher to mark them harshly. You can either get a really nice examiner or a really harsh examiner, so air on the side of caution and have practice papers marked harshly.

When answering questions, make sure you actually answer the question, eg. if it asks for a local case study on seismic activity, don't go talking about the San Sandreas fault line in California, talk about something local (at least in England).
Also, be concise when you answer questions, don't waffle on for ages, examiners will get annoyed with reading waffle if it isn't necessary. Please note, you don't need to rewrite the question in the first line of your answer, especially if it's a small mark answer. Another important point is to use correct terminology whenever you can :smile:

I hope all this helps, and feel free to privately message me if you need any more help, I've been through the gcse and almost finished the alevel :smile:

No need to debate this anymore, both our points raised were correct.
New case studies if you want to "impress" the examiner.
And depending on how good your revision guide is learn it fully by making sure you know how stuff works.

Happy now? :tongue: I shall not play to the crowds , esp those with popcorn! :colone:
Original post by Blueray2
And depending on how good your revision guide is learn it fully by making sure you know how stuff works.

Happy now? :tongue: I shall not play to the crowds , esp those with popcorn! :colone:

But it was chocolate popcorn :frown:
*throws them away*

it's not a matter of impressing, it actually shows that you are keeping current with your subject, no matter what you write, if you use things that showed you researched and using things that are up to date, you'll get better marks. Fairly simple really. Doesn't take a genius to work it out.
it's not a matter of impressing, it actually shows that you are keeping current with your subject, no matter what you write, if you use things that showed you researched and using things that are up to date, you'll get better marks. Fairly simple really. Doesn't take a genius to work it out.

Cheeky :wink: Enough is enough :biggrin: And yes ok.
But it was chocolate popcorn :frown:
*throws them away*
Reply 27
well done.

because actually what they want is fairly similar. Yes they want more detail at A Level, but it is more technical detail, than examples.

If I had you as a student, you would be moved down a peg a two with the attitude you've got.

If you conducted yourself like this to students at my school you wouldn't be in a job for long.

Sort your own attitude out.
Cheeky :wink: Enough is enough :biggrin: And yes ok.

Not sure if the "cheeky" "enough is enough" or the "and yes ok" bit was directed to me LOOOL

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tthwma
If you conducted yourself like this to students at my school you wouldn't be in a job for long.

I haven't got an attitude. I simply stating a point and trying to get through to someone who wasn't listening, at the beginning, but has now seen that my points were valid.

you do realise being harsh and having an 'attitude' actually works getting the message across to some students.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 30
I haven't got an attitude. I simply stating a point and trying to get through to someone who wasn't listening, at the beginning, but has now seen that my points were valid.

you do realise being harsh and having an 'attitude' actually works getting the message across to some students.

You aren't talking to a bunch of D/E students in a bottom set GCSE class (which is usually where the harshness belongs). Do not apply your one approach suits all ideas here, people are looking for advice and yours (which on the whole was useful) could easily have been given in a more approachable and less abusive manner.

By the way saying you'd take a student 'down a peg or two' is a terrible way of giving a 'message'. I hope you do not really treat students like that.
Original post by tthwma
You aren't talking to a bunch of D/E students in a bottom set GCSE class (which is usually where the harshness belongs). Do not apply your one approach suits all ideas here, people are looking for advice and yours (which on the whole was useful) could easily have been given in a more approachable and less abusive manner.

By the way saying you'd take a student 'down a peg or two' is a terrible way of giving a 'message'. I hope you do not really treat students like that.

no, actually cleverer students harshness works better, as it actually can help controlling them in their waffle and reasoning, as well as help balance them.

It originally was given in manner that wasn't abusive, it was the manner in which it was received as 'rubbish' which prompted the response, with backing up of what I said.

If the student becomes to big headed and has their head up their ass, for their sake you have to, as actually that can lead them to getting worse marks.
Reply 32
no, actually cleverer students harshness works better, as it actually can help controlling them in their waffle and reasoning, as well as help balance them.

It originally was given in manner that wasn't abusive, it was the manner in which it was received as 'rubbish' which prompted the response, with backing up of what I said.

If the student becomes to big headed and has their head up their ass, for their sake you have to, as actually that can lead them to getting worse marks.

Studentroom is THE place for waffling!

Clearly you just have a completely opposite style of teaching to me. I like to teach with respect for the student and a more fair approach. Perhaps you work at a tough inner city school where you have to employ this bitterness and resentment for the student.
Original post by tthwma
Studentroom is THE place for waffling!

Clearly you just have a completely opposite style of teaching to me. I like to teach with respect for the student and a more fair approach. Perhaps you work at a tough inner city school where you have to employ this bitterness and resentment for the student.

yes, but where people are asking advice being concise is the best thing.

I am fair and do have respect, but don't teach anymore full time, I also lecture.

I don't like clever students thinking they are better than anyone else and saying what they did is perfect, as it often isn't, it's how they learn. I prefer to tell them what has come from the exam boards as it often is far better and more up to date, as exams atm are changing massively behind the scenes, I still have a lot of involvement in GCSE and A Level exams.
Reply 34
yes, but where people are asking advice being concise is the best thing.

I am fair and do have respect, but don't teach anymore full time, I also lecture.

I don't like clever students thinking they are better than anyone else and saying what they did is perfect, as it often isn't, it's how they learn. I prefer to tell them what has come from the exam boards as it often is far better and more up to date, as exams atm are changing massively behind the scenes, I still have a lot of involvement in GCSE and A Level exams.

OK, wasn't contesting the content in your advice, just the manner of communication. But agree to disagree.
Original post by tthwma

Thank you for those kind words, I appreciate it, I was merely saying what I did to a current student, and it was not worth those harsh words from the other "lecturer".

But enough enough, thanks anyway :biggrin:
x

The above :biggrin:
Is anybody here doing CCEA A2 geography??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending