The Student Room Group

Physics at Imperial, Manchester or Edinburgh

Hey there!
I was accepted at Imperial College London, University of Manchester and University of Edinburgh for Physics. The problem is I have no idea which one to choose.
Which one should I choose, taking into account the teaching quality, the reputation and the student's life quality? Please explain me why...
Thanks a lot!
Reply 1
Imperial, no doubt.

The other unis are very good for physics, Manchester especially, however Imperial is practically number 1 in the UK for science and engineering. Very well respected around the world, it is known informally as the UK's answers to MIT.
Original post by Varios
Hey there!
I was accepted at Imperial College London, University of Manchester and University of Edinburgh for Physics. The problem is I have no idea which one to choose.
Which one should I choose, taking into account the teaching quality, the reputation and the student's life quality? Please explain me why...
Thanks a lot!

Imperial probably has a very slight advantage over Manchester (but Manchester's physics course is still absolutely world class - I really think the gap isn't anything like how it's made out on TSR). In Manchester's favour, the city is hugely geared towards students in a way that London couldn't possibly be.

They're all fantastic Universities though :smile: The Edinburgh course would take a year longer, although you'd have the opportunity to study an outside course during your first two years. That's worth taking into account.
Reply 3
Original post by JuliusDS92
Imperial probably has a very slight advantage over Manchester (but Manchester's physics course is still absolutely world class - I really think the gap isn't anything like how it's made out on TSR). In Manchester's favour, the city is hugely geared towards students in a way that London couldn't possibly be.

They're all fantastic Universities though :smile: The Edinburgh course would take a year longer, although you'd have the opportunity to study an outside course during your first two years. That's worth taking into account.

Thanks! I have one question: What do you mean by saying "you'd have the opportunity to study an outside course during your first two years"?
Reply 4
Original post by Varios
Thanks! I have one question: What do you mean by saying "you'd have the opportunity to study an outside course during your first two years"?

I assume that its kind of like Bristol's first year where they let you select optional modules from other courses that have nothing to do with physics. You can select maths/astronomy related courses or something completely different like philosophy, at least in Bristol.
Reply 5
Here's the link to the MPhys Physics at Edinburgh: http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/12-13/dpt/utphysm.htm

With concern to outside subjects, as you can see you get 40 credits (1/3 of the year) to do in pretty much anything that you meet the requirements for and thats not medicine/vet medicine.
One thing to keep in mind with Edinburgh is the extra year you have to do for the same qualification, which, if you're not scottish, is an extra 9 grand plus living costs. On the other hand, if you really like the city, it's worth it. Also, due to the extra year, the work load is more spaced out/less intense, and as said, you're able to study outside physics more, which is a good thing.

Basically just choose based off the city. Do you want to live in huge london, or the medium size Manchester? Also remember London costs much more money on living costs, and even though you get a bigger loan this won't really cover it (and you still have to pay that loan back at the end of the day).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending