The Student Room Group

Chemical Engineering difficulty

Any chemical engineers/students which could provide some insight? I hear the Maths is really tough which I'm worried about since I'm not a natural mathematician.

Also, will I be stuck in my room working most of the time? I'm worried I'm not going to have much of a social life at university and will miss out on the uni experience.

Thanks!
Reply 1
Any help?
Reply 2
Original post by Chris-69
Any help?

Not a chemical engineer but have been to uni before and lived with one. For the first and kind of 2nd year you can party like the rest. For the remaining years you'll have to work hard like the rest of the students doing demanding degrees. I will say this though, which i hope will put things in to perspective for you, you will never have to work as hard as the medics....and boy did they know how to party :-)
Reply 3
Original post by kingm
Not a chemical engineer but have been to uni before and lived with one. For the first and kind of 2nd year you can party like the rest. For the remaining years you'll have to work hard like the rest of the students doing demanding degrees. I will say this though, which i hope will put things in to perspective for you, you will never have to work as hard as the medics....and boy did they know how to party :-)

Haha, thank you for your help, put my mind at ease!
Reply 4
Am a 2nd year chemical engineer and what I can tell you is that in the 1st year of chemical engineering they usually go over the basic maths so is very useful for anyone who is not naturally maths based. I recommend the book 'Engineering Mathematic' by K.A. Stroud. This book will literally help you throughout your years at Uni.
In terms of social life you can go out and party, there's a lot in my class that go out and party and manage to achieve good grades, but that also depends how organised you are not all of them get the grades they want due to partying when they had work to do.
I for example went out a lot for my first year but, now in second year I not party as much at all (don't see the point anymore really ever since I got a summer placement in my first year). 2nd year of ChemEng, is considered harder than the other years so partying less would be better due to work but you won't be cooped up at home all the time because of that. Hope this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by NuriaM
Am a 2nd year chemical engineer and what I can tell you is that in the 1st year of chemical engineering they usually go over the basic maths so is very useful for anyone who is not naturally maths based. I recommend the book 'Engineering Mathematic' by K.A. Stroud. This book will literally help you throughout your years at Uni.
In terms of social life you can go out and party, there's a lot in my class that go out and party and manage to achieve good grades, but that also depends how organised you are not all of them get the grades they want due to partying when they had work to do.
I for example went out a lot for my first year but, now in second year I not party as much at all (don't see the point anymore really ever since I got a summer placement in my first year). 2nd year of ChemEng, is considered harder than the other years so partying less would be better due to work but you won't be cooped up at home all the time because of that. Hope this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Helps a lot, thank you!
Reply 6
is chemical engineering more math or chemistry based? and is it interesting or a drag?
Reply 7
More math / engineering really. Alo of physics and physical chemistry, thermodynamics, engineering problems. We've done a module on organic chemistry and do one next year too. I'm a first year
Reply 8
Original post by beckaroo7
More math / engineering really. Alo of physics and physical chemistry, thermodynamics, engineering problems. We've done a module on organic chemistry and do one next year too. I'm a first year

Cool, are u enjoying it? I'm seriously considering going for it if I can get the grades
Reply 9
Original post by halliday96
Cool, are u enjoying it? I'm seriously considering going for it if I can get the grades
##

Yeah it's good. I've fallen behind a bit personally, through lack of work/motivation. But on the whole I am glad I picked the course, go for it :-)

Quick Reply

Latest