The Student Room Group

c4

Please can you have a look at question no 6 and then the last part of it where it says : Hence verify that the curve has a stationary point at (1, 1).. Would you get the marks for simply shoving in the values of x and y into the dy/dx that we have got and concluding that it does come to 0? Or do they require something else to be done(I did look at the mark scheme , but I don't really understand the layout)? Also , for Question no 8 part ii) same verification style question . Are we simply shoving in the value of x into the diff equation and concluding that yes , it does come to 0? Any tips would be helpful, thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Original post by laurawoods
Please can you have a look at question no 6 and then the last part of it where it says : Hence verify that the curve has a stationary point at (1, 1).. Would you get the marks for simply shoving in the values of x and y into the dy/dx that we have got and concluding that it does come to 0? Or do they require something else to be done(I did look at the mark scheme , but I don't really understand the layout)? Also , for Question no 8 part ii) same verification style question . Are we simply shoving in the value of x into the diff equation and concluding that yes , it does come to 0? Any tips would be helpful, thanks in advance!

You might want to link the question?...
Reply 2
Original post by iCiaran

http://www.mei.org.uk/files/papers/2011_Jan_c3.pdf
Reply 3
Original post by iCiaran

Hello, just a quick question to ask you!
When we are given two parametric equations and then told to find out the solid of revolution , how do we do this?
Reply 4
Original post by laurawoods
Hello, just a quick question to ask you!
When we are given two parametric equations and then told to find out the solid of revolution , how do we do this?

Same way we always do

πy2dx\pi \displaystyle \int y^2 dx
Original post by TenOfThem
Same way we always do

πy2dx\pi \displaystyle \int y^2 dx

So I take it that the solid of revolution is the same as the volume of revolution. I know how to do volume of revolution when graph is rotated about the axes but how would I go about evaluating it about any line?

Quick Reply

Latest