The Student Room Group

Is film studies pointless at A level?

I really want to have a job when I'm older that involves video making, when picking my options for next year I looked at the media course and it looked very much like the stuff I did at GCSE, so I thought film studies looked more interesting and suited to me.

lots of people seem to think it is a waste of time, is it worth anything if you want to get into a course that involves video production in uni?
Reply 1
I think it is pointless in the sense that you wouldn't even need it to do a film related course at uni, but if you really want to do it, and think you'll enjoy it then take it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
It's what you make of it really, its about as much as waste of time in media, as the above poster said, it is one of those subjects you truly don't need to take to do any film/media related course at uni. It would certainly limit your options though, your only really going to be going into video making courses, is that what you truly want, no back ups?
Reply 3
Original post by Robbie242
It's what you make of it really, its about as much as waste of time in media, as the above poster said, it is one of those subjects you truly don't need to take to do any film/media related course at uni. It would certainly limit your options though, your only really going to be going into video making courses, is that what you truly want, no back ups?

Well, I defiantly want to get into something creative and right now I'm set on video production
Reply 4
What were your plans for your other A-levels? Film studies wouldn't look quite so bad if coupled with more academically rigorous subjects such as maths or sciences.
Reply 5
Original post by TashaTea
Well, I defiantly want to get into something creative and right now I'm set on video production

Fair do's then, best of luck with your endeavors
Reply 6
Original post by Matt85259
What were your plans for your other A-levels? Film studies wouldn't look quite so bad if coupled with more academically rigorous subjects such as maths or sciences.

Hmmm that's the thing though, I think most my other options are the 'soft/pointless' ones too

psychology
Graphics (or art)
Geography

I was going to do english combined but swapped for psychology because I hate english , I would only be doing it to have something more academic and wouldn't be taking it for any interest I have, just to get into uni I think the subjects I have chosen I will enjoy and want to do well in. I just want to get into something creative and finally not have to waste time on academic things I don't care about but I;m starting to think it dosen't work like that hhff
I don't take film studies (I take media) but from people I know who take it, they say it is very much theory based and not practical. i.e. you watch a film and then analyse it in an essay etc. I still think its useful in the sense you might need those analytical skills for uni when (possibly) deconstructing films.
If you think you'll enjoy the subject then take it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest