The Student Room Group

Where would you work ? Tescos vs Waitrose

Hello guys , made a thread a week ago about getting myself into the position of having the possibility of a job at Tescos and Waitrose . Never anticipated such a thing happening !

Had a group interview for tesco first , passed that stage . They contacted me for single interview . Passed that stage , they offered me the job on sunday and I'm due to start tomorrow !

I had a Waitrose group interview the day after my Tesco one and I didn't think I did too well , but they contacted me today ! I'm going to have a one on one with them in a couple days . I don't mean to sound cocky but if they think I was worth getting past the group interview then I've pretty much sealed the deal if I act right .

So what would you do in my situation ?

I'm slightly worried about having to reject Tesco as the manager was quite a nice lady and I have my induction tommorow so ill be wasting their time .

Pros of working for Tesco - Checkout Assistant

7.20ph , Pay and a half on sundays.

Tescos Extra superstore , lots of staff to chat to and never busy meaning hours go by real quick.Can also be considered a disadvantage as probably won't get to know staff properly and have few friendships as a result.

Working as a checkout assistant means I'm not going to be stressing about work as its fairly simple ( looking for a part time job not a career). But may also be really boring as its very monotomous

Pros of working for Waitrose - General Assistant

??? Ph , I assume its somewhere around the 6.80-7.60 mark but its only about 50p difference

Partnership structure , positive surroundings make my job more pleasant and motivate me to work harder.

Don't think ill be eligible for bonus as its a temp 3 month contract.

Good job reputation making it easier for me to get employed in the future

Working as a GA means a lot of running around , working to targets , giving only the best customer service etc . Disadvantages more challenging work , a lot is expected of you . This could be considered an advantage as it will motivate me to work hard but will be more difficult then the tescos job . I'm trying to manage working only about 13h per week around doing a levels and don't want to screw up my future .
Original post by Jaegon Targaryen
Hello guys , made a thread a week ago about getting myself into the position of having the possibility of a job at Tescos and Waitrose . Never anticipated such a thing happening !

Had a group interview for tesco first , passed that stage . They contacted me for single interview . Passed that stage , they offered me the job on sunday and I'm due to start tomorrow !

I had a Waitrose group interview the day after my Tesco one and I didn't think I did too well , but they contacted me today ! I'm going to have a one on one with them in a couple days . I don't mean to sound cocky but if they think I was worth getting past the group interview then I've pretty much sealed the deal if I act right .

I'm slightly worried about having to reject Tesco as the manager was quite a nice lady and I have my induction tommorow so ill be wasting their time .

Tescos Extra superstore , lots of staff to chat to and never busy meaning hours go by real quick.Can also be considered a disadvantage as probably won't get to know staff properly and have few friendships as a result.

Working as a checkout assistant means I'm not going to be stressing about work as its fairly simple ( looking for a part time job not a career). But may also be really boring as its very monotomous

??? Ph , I assume its somewhere around the 6.80-7.60 mark but its only about 50p difference

Partnership structure , positive surroundings make my job more pleasant and motivate me to work harder.

Working as a GA means a lot of running around , working to targets , giving only the best customer service etc . Disadvantages more challenging work , a lot is expected of you . This could be considered an advantage as it will motivate me to work hard but will be more difficult then the tescos job . I'm trying to manage working only about 13h per week around doing a levels and don't want to screw up my future .

Hi, I know Waitrose does sound like a better option, but I'm looking at it, and it seems Tesco is better. The Waitrose job is a 3month contract - tesco is permanent I presume? In the long-term it will not matter if you go for tesco instead of waitrose because they are both well-known and whats important is the experience of working there.If your really not looking forward to working really hard then Tesco is again best. Having said that, if you get the waitrose job, AND the Tesco job is not working out okay, then obviously think about waitrose. but for now definitely go for tesco. hope this helped x
Original post by liveyourlife197
Hi, I know Waitrose does sound like a better option, but I'm looking at it, and it seems Tesco is better. The Waitrose job is a 3month contract - tesco is permanent I presume? In the long-term it will not matter if you go for tesco instead of waitrose because they are both well-known and whats important is the experience of working there.If your really not looking forward to working really hard then Tesco is again best. Having said that, if you get the waitrose job, AND the Tesco job is not working out okay, then obviously think about waitrose. but for now definitely go for tesco. hope this helped x

Sorry I didn't specyify but Tesco is also on a temporary basis
Reply 3
Pretty sure you get paid a lot more at Tesco than you do Waitrose. My friend works at Tesco and earns a bomb, especially since it's double time on a Sunday.

It's likely that you'll become perm if you have a good work ethic at Waitrose.. I worked there over the summer and it's pretty prettyyyyy sweet. There are tons of benefits, the May bonus, group activities (if your store can be bothered), really well organised, time and a half on Sundays and bank holidays (plus a day off paid on BH, that was noicee) and importantly, they look after their "partners".
But other things you'd need to consider, the hours (how they fit around you), distance from your home/school (don't want to end up paying an arm in transport).
However, just because you've gotten to the one on one doesn't mean you're in, I got rejected at that stage (I went for multiple interviews) which leads leads to the saying.. A bird in hand is better than 2 in the bush
..Then again you could always go to your induction and ditch Tesco if you get the Waitrose gig... If it suits you :wink:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Decision like that has to be purely down to yourself to decide
Tesco is guaranteed, waitrose is not as of yet.
Maybe still do induction at tesco and go see waitrose too. Then if waitrose does end up in a job then decide.
Then it just needs to be which is better to get to, benefits, better chance of becoming permanent.
Congrats on getting the jobs though :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Miss Purple
It's likely that you'll become perm if you have a good work ethic at Waitrose.. I worked there over the summer and it's pretty prettyyyyy sweet. There are tons of benefits, the May bonus, group activities (if your store can be bothered), really well organised, time and a half on Sundays and bank holidays (plus a day off paid on BH, that was noicee) and importantly, they look after their "partners".
But other things you'd need to consider, the hours (how they fit around you), distance from your home/school (don't want to end up paying an arm in transport).
However, just because you've gotten to the one on one doesn't mean you're in, I got rejected at that stage (I went for multiple interviews) which leads leads to the saying.. A bird in hand is better than 2 in the bush
..Then again you could always go to your induction and ditch Tesco if you get the Waitrose gig... If it suits you :wink:

They are in the same town and I signed up the same available hours for both places so those factors are irelevant . I've established with my friends and family that I'm willing to leave the Tesco job if its the better of the two because this isn't an oppurtunity that arises frequently.Would you take the waitrose job then ? Those benefits do sound really enticing ...
It's up to you, although I'd choose Waitrose just because I think it would be something more to brag about then Tesco really.
Reply 8
Original post by H0ls
Pretty sure you get paid a lot more at Tesco than you do Waitrose. My friend works at Tesco and earns a bomb, especially since it's double time on a Sunday.

yes but don't you get a bonus at waitrose?
Original post by H0ls

Double pay ? But that would mean 14.40 ph Surely that cannot be ... ? It must depend on location lol

I understand that it is my decision to make but is a very difficult one at that ! Thus why I asked for opinions ...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Waitrose you get an annual bonus (which is usually >15% of your annual earnings), time and a half Sundays and bank holidays, 15% discount in Waitrose and up to 25% in John Lewis after 3 months, discounts in many restaurants and attractions, ticket subsidies (where you can apply for a refund of 50% of a ticket for ANY gig, concert or show) and there are schemes where you can train up to management level.

I've worked for the partnership for 2.5 years now, and I can definitely say that I've been treated better than my friends who work at Tescos, however that may just be around here.
Reply 11
Double pay ? But that would mean 14.40 ph Surely that cannot be ... ? It must depend on location lol

I understand that it is my decision to make but is a very difficult one at that ! Thus why I asked for opinions ...

Yes, my friend told me she gets paid around £15 for work on a sunday. The location is Birmingham, so it's not on city rates. I think Waitrose pay lower than Tesco for standard shifts anyway, I know Waitrose pay lower than my wage at M&S. If it's temporary, I'd honestly go with the one with the highest wage if I were you.
Reply 12
friends who have worked for the John Lewis partnership always say that as partners, they are very well treated. Maybe Waitrose will keep you after the 3 months if they like you?
Reply 13
For some reason there isn't many waitrose' up north :s-smilie:
Reply 14
Original post by lucyab

It is reckoned to be quite pricey and range is limited. Shops tend to be smaller (tho some new ones are bigger). Staff are excellent in Waitrose and always happy to help. They look good on the checkout too, always nicely groomed/
Original post by lucyab

historically Waitrose was a regional brand in the SE , but grew gradually,

following the Safeway take over by Morrisons t Waitrose acquired a fair few larger stores in the north from Stores the MMC told Morrisons they had to get rid of ...

there didn;t use to be be (m)any Morrsions in the South - but again the Safeway takeover / merger saw that change
Had my tesco induction today and my contracted hours aren't that great , if waitrose offer me more I think I'm almost defintely going to leave tesco.

Anyone got any ideas of what I could say to explain for my unexpected and unpractical leave after getting a job ? Was thinking of saying my dad says he doesn't want me working anymore because a reason like that can't really be worked around as it is likely they will try to make me stay .
Reply 17
Had my tesco induction today and my contracted hours aren't that great , if waitrose offer me more I think I'm almost defintely going to leave tesco.

Anyone got any ideas of what I could say to explain for my unexpected and unpractical leave after getting a job ? Was thinking of saying my dad says he doesn't want me working anymore because a reason like that can't really be worked around as it is likely they will try to make me stay .

Congratulations on your induction going smoothly. If I were you, I wouldn't use a parental excuse. You're in the world of work now, and to be honest it sounds ridiculously childish. Hand your resignation in and say you've been offered a permanent placement elsewhere, they'll understand. Honestly, my M&S has only been open since February and quite a few of the temp staff left if they found permanent vacancies elsewhere, it's pretty common for people to leave and for their place to be filled abruptly.
Reply 18

Not sure, but make sure you check how much notice you have to give and read up on all policies relating to leaving before you do anything, as you either have or will sign(ed) a contract with Tesco.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending