The Student Room Group

sweden or uk?

Hi people! I've got an offer letter from lund university, sweden (MSc. Molecular Biology) and univ of glasgow, scotland (MSc. medical genetics). I wanted your opinion on which do you think is a better place to live and study? also in which place is the job opportunities better!?:smile:
Thanks guys!
Reply 1
Hi! thanks for the info! :smile: but i can manage living as long as the study aspect is good.. so any idea abut that? and how is the cost of living in sweden? :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by jayshree1290
Hi people! I've got an offer letter from lund university, sweden (MSc. Molecular Biology) and univ of glasgow, scotland (MSc. medical genetics). I wanted your opinion on which do you think is a better place to live and study? also in which place is the job opportunities better!?:smile:
Thanks guys!

Hi! I don't know anything about your course, however, I have been studying in Lund for 3,5 years (three years in upper secondary school and half a year at the university) so if you have any specific questions about living in Lund or the university in general, I will be happy to answer!

I have not been to Glasgow though, so I'm afraid I can't compare the two cities.:smile:
Reply 3
I've visited Scandanavia a few times and the cost of Living in sweden is crazy expensive! An average meal in a resteraunt can cost £20-25 whilst in the UK it may only be ~£15 or less, as scotland has a lower living cost than the rest of the UK
Personally in terms of universities, Galsgow and Lund are equally successful; so i'd focus on which way of life you prefer and tjhe social aspects at university rather than the course as you'll get a well respected degree at both institutions.
One other thing to look abiut Glasgow is how Scotland's relationship with the rest of the UK (it's trying to leave the UK and become and independent state - incase you didnt know) may influence your experiences/opportunities whilst at university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Voltozonic
In terms of living, Glasgow is obvious.

My gf is currently doing her masters in Malmo and we visit her friends in Lund. Compared to the UK, Malmo and Lund seem like the most boring places on earth. Everyone seems quite introverted in Sweden.

Plus if you drink, obtaining alcohol is a nightmare there. Everything is sold in special government stores called Systembolagets and they close at around 5-6pm tops.

Everytime i visit, i'm normally bored to death within a few days and cant wait to get back to England.

I guess that depends on what kind of activities you are used to doing. I think there's lots of things to do and see before you get to that stage. If you don't want to explore the south of Sweden, there's always the west coast or Copenhagen a short train ride away.

By the way, Systembolaget usually closes at 8pm in the cities.:smile:
Reply 5
I would choose Sweden, they seem to be a lot happier over there and have much more forward thinking policies.

When are you ever going to get the opportunity to study somewhere else abroad again? :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Flax
Hi! I don't know anything about your course, however, I have been studying in Lund for 3,5 years (three years in upper secondary school and half a year at the university) so if you have any specific questions about living in Lund or the university in general, I will be happy to answer!

I have not been to Glasgow though, so I'm afraid I can't compare the two cities.:smile:

thanks! :smile: 'm a vegetarian and i've heard that its more expensive for vegetarians than meat eaters, is that so? and is there any chance of getting part time jobs there, while studying, so that i can atleast take care of my monthly expenses?
Reply 7
Original post by Pawsies
I would choose Sweden, they seem to be a lot happier over there and have much more forward thinking policies.

When are you ever going to get the opportunity to study somewhere else abroad again? :smile:

sorry to break it to you but i'm an Indian! :biggrin: so UK or Sweden, either way its gonna be abroad for me! :smile:
Reply 8
There is lots to like about Sweden, but it is Expensive. Even food in supermarkets is considerably more expensive than in the UK. Lots of people speak English, but doing it without learning Swedish will be a problem.
Reply 9
Original post by Voltozonic
I've done a lot in southern Sweden, but after a while I think going to Copenhagen a few times and seeing how close yet different the place is just stresses how lower key the south of Sweden is.

It's kind of gotten to the point where each time I fly to Katsrup i'll meet my gf in Copenhagen first for a drink or so before going back to Malmo. Often go back again a couple times while i stay too.

Have you much experience with the UK ?

I think it depends on what you enjoy. I love going to Copenhagen, especially for the museums, shopping and buzz of the capital. But I also like being outdoors and the south of Sweden has lots of parks, forests and beautiful beaches. Have you been to the east coast of Skåne? Österlen? That's something I would recommend.:smile:

I've been to the UK quite a few times and to different parts of the country as well (London, Southampton, Oxford, Lancaster, Nottingham, Edinburgh etc.) I'm moving to London in September for my undergraduate degree.:biggrin:
Reply 10
thanks! :smile: 'm a vegetarian and i've heard that its more expensive for vegetarians than meat eaters, is that so? and is there any chance of getting part time jobs there, while studying, so that i can atleast take care of my monthly expenses?

I wouldn't say that it's more expensive to be a vegetarian rather than eating meat. On the contrary, meat is rather pricey.

I wouldn't count on getting a part time job. There are lots of young people looking for employment and job opportunities are few. You also have to be able to speak Swedish, in most cases.
Reply 11
Okay! :smile: okay tell me if i got it right! Lund University is a good place to study but its very expensive and there's almost no chances of me getting a part time job there (since i dont know swedish) ! its a very low key place and for having any sort of fun i'll have to go to Denmark but if i like being close to nature i can enjoy staying in Lund! have i covered it all?!:smile:
Reply 12
Okay! :smile: okay tell me if i got it right! Lund University is a good place to study but its very expensive and there's almost no chances of me getting a part time job there (since i dont know swedish) ! its a very low key place and for having any sort of fun i'll have to go to Denmark but if i like being close to nature i can enjoy staying in Lund! have i covered it all?!:smile:

I think you covered everything! I don't know if it's that more expensive than living in the UK though. I would say, pick the course that suits you the best and everything else will probably fall into place. Good luck!
Reply 13
thanks a lot for the info guys! really appreciate it! :smile:
Reply 14
Hello! NOT Sweden! any other country.
The level of science is low there, see for example PCR Coma's blog on
http://nii-chavo.blogspot.se/

looks like they predisposed to fraud data :eek:
quote from the post:
"The 'discovery' that shocked me the most was the enormous numbers of fungi that were found in the soil. For the analysis Prof. Lockhart and his student used 0.5 g of soil. (see the picture below: this is how 0.5 g of soil looks like). Now quotation from the thesis:“Bioinformatic analysis of rhizosphere soil revealed 16923 pyrosequencing reads that passed the quality control checks revealed 589 clusters, 86% of which were of fungal origin.” This means that 589 different types of DNA molecules were found, 86% of which are fungal DNA. This gives us 506 different types of fungi living in 0.5 g of soil. If it would be so the “soil” would look like a ravel of fungi without any real soil particles. It is similar to statement that herds of antelopes can be grazing in the kitchen.":angry:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending