The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ThatFrog
I hope you're joking :eek:

maths is serious business.
Reply 2261
Original post by ben-smith
maths is serious business.

Does this mean I can expect a chilled start for medicine? I'll leave the serious business to you mathematicians :P
Original post by h2shin
Is anyone going to take a gap year? what are your plans?

Me and I'm unsure yet!
Does this mean I can expect a chilled start for medicine? I'll leave the serious business to you mathematicians :P

I wouldn't call it chilled but they are exaggerating a bit. You usually arrive on the Saturday or Sunday (depending on college) and lectures will start on the following Thursday, so you don't get a full Freshers' Week. There will be lots of social Freshers' stuff going on, but in the first few days you'll also have to meet your supervisors etc. Some people get set essays, but not everyone!
Reply 2264
I'm a but anxious about not receiving a letter re grades and ums points.....I'm a kings college student - taking a gap year due to family situation......my dad is terminally ill.

Has anyone else from kings had a letter re grades etc? What should I do? :confused:

help!
Original post by Noonoo
I'm a but anxious about not receiving a letter re grades and ums points.....I'm a kings college student - taking a gap year due to family situation......my dad is terminally ill.

Has anyone else from kings had a letter re grades etc? What should I do? :confused:

help!

I'm King's too and I haven't received anything. (coincidentally I am also on a gap year )
Reply 2266
Original post by ben-smith
I'm King's too and I haven't received anything. (coincidentally I am also on a gap year )

Hi Bem,

Do you think we should contact Kings or do you think we should just wait and see when results come out? I'd be relieved to know if ip missed offer by few ums that I may still get in. - although obviously would hope that won't be happening - been working blooming hard! :wink:

I can't see gap year would make a difference can you? But is a huge coincidence..............kings college applicants - any news from anyone else?
Reply 2267
Any other Clare people not got a letter about what happens if you don't get your offer grades? Maybe it's subject based?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2268
I hope you're joking :eek:

There's no such thing as a chilled start for Medics :tongue:

He's only semi joking, during Freshers week I don't think I got a lie in once. Induction on Monday at 9am, Matric photos at 9am Tuesday, DoS meeting at 9am Wednesday then Lectures thurs/fri :tongue:
Reply 2269
Original post by Helenia
I wouldn't call it chilled but they are exaggerating a bit. You usually arrive on the Saturday or Sunday (depending on college) and lectures will start on the following Thursday, so you don't get a full Freshers' Week. There will be lots of social Freshers' stuff going on, but in the first few days you'll also have to meet your supervisors etc. Some people get set essays, but not everyone!

Original post by wibletg
There's no such thing as a chilled start for Medics :tongue:

He's only semi joking, during Freshers week I don't think I got a lie in once. Induction on Monday at 9am, Matric photos at 9am Tuesday, DoS meeting at 9am Wednesday then Lectures thurs/fri :tongue:

I hope you two realise my 'chilled start' question was just a joke :smile: I'm not expecting a chilled start, we have the whole summer for that. I'd just rather not be thrown into the deep end in terms of workload :smile:
Original post by PartonProduct
Hey guys!
I'm in for Phys Nat Sci - offer: just 2 A's at Fitzwilliam college :biggrin:!!

Is anyone else in for Fitz (please say yes, haven't found ANYONE yet :colondollar:)

Oh, and congratz to everyone here :tongue:

I've got an offer from Fitz! :smile: Music (got to get three A's...)
I have to make a decision between Cambridge and MIT by May 1st. My preference keeps swaying back and forth, and I just have no idea what to do. HELP ME.
Original post by LAstudent
I have to make a decision between Cambridge and MIT by May 1st. My preference keeps swaying back and forth, and I just have no idea what to do. HELP ME.

Obviously they are hugely different in course structure and content - that is of course up to your own tastes of what you prefer and I'm sure you've done your research to understand both.

What I would mention though is to consider the funding. Are you going to be receiving any scholarships at MIT (or less likely, Cambridge)? I usually recommend UK students to do their undergrad in the UK and then postgrad (with full funding if possible) in the US, which would result in very nice degrees for a very cheap price - £27-36k in total at the current rate assuming the US postgrad is fully funded. However your situation may be different since you are a US student (right?) and you'd have to pay international fees at Cambridge. I think even then though it might still be lower than MIT without scholarship.

All of the above is assuming you want to do postgrad. However if that is the case then it's worthwhile bearing in mind that you can find funding *much* more easily in the US than in the UK, especially if you have international status for the latter. I was an international to the US schools applying for PhD this and last year and even for me the funding seemed really easy to get.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2273
Original post by I am Ace
Me and I'm unsure yet!

Ahh cool.
Do you think we should prioritise not forgetting a levels or getting new experiences? What are you studying by the way?
Original post by h2shin
Ahh cool.
Do you think we should prioritise not forgetting a levels or getting new experiences? What are you studying by the way?

I'll be applying for maths, the obvious answer is to find a balance, definitely don't stay in and master your A levels, that's a waste of a year, get new experiences but regularly make sure you're up to scratch with your coursework - especially up to interview time
Reply 2275
Does anyone here not do A levels? I'd love to know what you think about the difficulty of your offer doing a different against some of the A level offers! I do the IB btw :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just found out Trinity College owns the O2 Arena and half of Tesco, that's crazyy!
Original post by Powerfrau
Me me me! Finally, someone else. Yay! What do they call people at Magdalene? :confused:

Original post by ThePastyManCan
Anyone for Magdalene? :smile:

Natural Sciences - Physical :smile:

Hey, I have a Physical NatSci offer from Magdalene! :biggrin:
Reply 2278
I'll be arriving in Cambridge about four weeks before term starts (due to some formalities; I'm an international stud(ent) :rolleyes: ),
and I'm considering what to fill my time with.
I was thinking of taking some language course...
Do you know of any good ones? Or if you have ideas for something else to do that is brilliant :colondollar:
Original post by fowlerbean
Hey, I have a Physical NatSci offer from Magdalene! :biggrin:

Bio NatSci for Magdalene!

Latest

Trending

Trending