The Student Room Group

What's journalism like? I beckon all journalists to give me some insight!

Hi

I've recently gained an interest in journalism. What's it like journalists or journalists-to-be?

And those who are also interested in pursuing a career in journalism what ticks the box for you? :smile:

For additional information I am studying my A2 Levels and have applied for English Literature at Uni!

Thank you!
Reply 1
I've worked as a news journalists for a while and it wasn't for me. You're constantly on the hunt for storys and can never just chill for a while (which I love in my current job ^^). You're also always on the run, have to stand outside in all kinds of weather if you're unlucky or have to chase random people for a bit of news... Of course there are other possibilities in journalism which might be better. For me I decided that I just can't work creatively towards a deadline - no matter if it's tonight or in a week's time.

I'd advice you to take on some work experience. It's really the best thing to do if you're not sure yet. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by arina162
I've worked as a news journalists for a while and it wasn't for me. You're constantly on the hunt for storys and can never just chill for a while (which I love in my current job ^^). You're also always on the run, have to stand outside in all kinds of weather if you're unlucky or have to chase random people for a bit of news... Of course there are other possibilities in journalism which might be better. For me I decided that I just can't work creatively towards a deadline - no matter if it's tonight or in a week's time.

I'd advice you to take on some work experience. It's really the best thing to do if you're not sure yet. :smile:

Thanks for the first (and so far only) response I have received! :smile: I'd love to do journalistic work experience, but there is hardly any opportunities to do so...
Reply 3
Original post by Kousar
Thanks for the first (and so far only) response I have received! :smile: I'd love to do journalistic work experience, but there is hardly any opportunities to do so...

Go to your local newspaper and offer yourself on a freelance basis, meaning you'll look for your own stories and they can call you when something is up. You could ask for an unpaid internship as well :smile:
It very much depends on what kind of journalism. I dipped my winkie in motorsports reporting and hated it. Since then I've been into motoring journalism which is bloody good fun.

Start writing stuff if you haven't already.
Reply 5
Print Journalism is dying. Broadcast journalism is slightly better but not by much. Salaries are being cut or frozen. Journalists are being shed by the bucketload. Equally several training centres have sprung up offering NCTJs who are simply not worthy of the name. Working for free is expected, even in London, with only a pittance offered for travelling/rent. Freelance rates have declined in real terms across the board. For each of my friends in a journalism job (most of them fixed contracts, having fought off in some cases hundreds of applicants for an avaragely-paid job with little to no security) I can name a dozen more working for free, unable to get any rung on the ladder. Publishing is similar.
Original post by Aeschylus
Print Journalism is dying. Broadcast journalism is slightly better but not by much. Salaries are being cut or frozen. Journalists are being shed by the bucketload. Equally several training centres have sprung up offering NCTJs who are simply not worthy of the name. Working for free is expected, even in London, with only a pittance offered for travelling/rent. Freelance rates have declined in real terms across the board. For each of my friends in a journalism job (most of them fixed contracts, having fought off in some cases hundreds of applicants for an avaragely-paid job with little to no security) I can name a dozen more working for free, unable to get any rung on the ladder. Publishing is similar.

Now there is a nice positive post for you OP! Not entirely true...
Reply 7
Original post by CaptainDudeson
Now there is a nice positive post for you OP! Not entirely true...

Jeez great! Lol. I'm reading Andrew Marr's book on Journalism, I want to research into it so I know if it's for me or not. I've had a recent growing interest in current affairs etc, but I'm not the best writer, thought I'd practice or give it a 'trial' on Wordpress. http://ismakousar.wordpress.com/ So I've started writing up on here, I'd love constructive criticism to be honest. Someone on TSR has already pretty much labelled me as amateur, which I couldn't agree less with. But yeah, I'm new to this journalism thing :smile:
Original post by Kousar
Jeez great! Lol. I'm reading Andrew Marr's book on Journalism, I want to research into it so I know if it's for me or not. I've had a recent growing interest in current affairs etc, but I'm not the best writer, thought I'd practice or give it a 'trial' on Wordpress. http://ismakousar.wordpress.com/ So I've started writing up on here, I'd love constructive criticism to be honest. Someone on TSR has already pretty much labelled me as amateur, which I couldn't agree less with. But yeah, I'm new to this journalism thing :smile:

There is no right or wrong way of writing although some poo faced **** arses with journalism degrees :rolleyes: would say otherwise.

I quite like your writing, I like the humour. Keep it going and think about putting ads on there.
Reply 9
There is no right or wrong way of writing although some poo faced **** arses with journalism degrees :rolleyes: would say otherwise.

I quite like your writing, I like the humour. Keep it going and think about putting ads on there.

Thanks, appreciate it. :smile: There is hope! lol.

This is going to sound really stupid but, why would you suggest putting ads on? I actually don't know how I would do this either...
Original post by Kousar
Thanks, appreciate it. :smile: There is hope! lol.

This is going to sound really stupid but, why would you suggest putting ads on? I actually don't know how I would do this either...

Putting ads on will enable you to make money. If you are interested go to Google Adsense.
Reply 11
Putting ads on will enable you to make money. If you are interested go to Google Adsense.

I don't think that will happen, my webpage is an everyday wordpress account. Thousands of people have it, so I don't see why I would get paid for putting ads on my page when it doesn't even get much views! It's all amateur stuff. :smile:
Original post by Kousar
I don't think that will happen, my webpage is an everyday wordpress account. Thousands of people have it, so I don't see why I would get paid for putting ads on my page when it doesn't even get much views! It's all amateur stuff. :smile:

Anyone can do it and it's pay per click. You may not be getting many views right now but that doesn't mean that it won't pick up as time goes on... Anyway, just a thought.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending