The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm actually worried about next season unless the new guy gets some good spending power. Our squad as a whole is still the, or at the very least second, best team in the league but SAF leaving could have a massive impact.
I know it's a bit of a over-reaction but it feels like a family member has died! Would not like to step into the biggest shoes in football!!
It has been announced that Fergie will move upstairs as Director of Football and work along side the new manager. I always thought Moysie would takeover, but now I think the special one is Old Trafford bound. Happy retirement Fergie.
Wow. Just wow. I've been preparing myself in my head for this day all season but I really hoped and believed he'd changed his mind. Absolutely gutted. Never known anything but Ferguson at United ... I don't even know what the future holds now.

It's the end of an era. It's not the end of everything as some people are making out, as gutted as I am I know the red flag will still be flying over Old Trafford tomorrow and every day. We were here 108 years before Ferguson and we will go on without him, but still, ****ing heartbreaking day for all those associated with the club.

As for the future? Excited. We don't know what lies ahead but that could be a good thing. Let's wait and see what happens.
Reply 3484
Absolutely not going to lie..almost shed a few tears :frown:

If I were to put my money on it..I think Moyes or Mourinho will take-over as manager. I'd love to see somebody like Ole take over but I don't think he's experienced enough to be the manager of Man Utd just yet. Either way, SAF will be choosing the next manager.

Mourinho + Ronaldo? :moon:

Edit - shed a few tears :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3485
I think moyes will fill in and mourinho will go to Chelsea

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3486
Isn't Mourinhos contract a bit of a barrier ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you think we'll buy a CM now?
Reply 3489
Wow, what a news to wake up to. Really in shock. At first when I read it, I thought they said he'd decided to retire next season but no, it's basically in 2 weeks time. Typical of the man, didn't want the press to be focused on him so waited till the end of the season (we all know Utd's is over) before making an announcement. Football is poorer etc......

Now on his replacement, Moyes the odds on favourite- talk about going from caviar to sausage. Don't see it happening. The obvious one and one that I believe alot of Utd fan would want is Mour, but what really worries me on Utd behalf with him is his reliant on the media to love him hence exposing him to the sort of statement where he goes way over the line. We know SAF is prone to make inflammatory statements but they're very rare and never really cross the line.
(edited 10 years ago)
Real sad day for football. Love him or hate him hes done so much for the club and its going to be odd to see someone else not manage United. He does leave on his terms though and a high.

Whoever replaces him has huge shoes to fill.

:sad:
Original post by Akkuz
Absolutely not going to lie..almost shed a few tears :frown:

If I were to put my money on it..I think Moyes or Mourinho will take-over as manager. I'd love to see somebody like Ole take over but I don't think he's experienced enough to be the manager of Man Utd just yet. Either way, SAF will be choosing the next manager.

Mourinho + Ronaldo? :moon:

Edit - shed a few tears :frown:

I know I'm going to end up in tears Sunday teatime when he gives his goodbye speech. This is going to be a weekend that none of us will ever forget.
Guardiola would have been a perfect replacement. Shames he's gone to Bayern.
Glad i'm making the trip back up to Manchester for the celebrations now. Going to be emotional!
Original post by Tommyjw

We have to. Think of the impact SAFs retirement is going to have on scholes, giggs. Couldn't imagine them two lasting much longer. Which would mean we'll e left with Carrick, Cleverley, Anderson who's injury prone and has fitness issues and fletcher...? Jones who isn't even a true cm...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3495
Original post by IanDangerously
I know I'm going to end up in tears Sunday teatime when he gives his goodbye speech. This is going to be a weekend that none of us will ever forget.

I think a lot of us will be :frown: Obviously, most of us are in our 20's and haven't lived through other managerial era's..but SAF has simply got to be one of, if not the best manager in living history. Not just in football but in world sport.

Sir Alex Ferguson:
26 Years
13 Premier League Titles
10 Community Shields
5 FA Cups
4 League Cups
2 European Cups
1 Piece of Chewing Gum
One of the greatest managers of all time. He was incredible. An amazing motivator, a builder of champions and above all, a leader of men.

Original post by Tommyjw

Yup i think you will now. Quite a few possible options.
Pity that Guardiola took the Bayern job or he would have been a phenomenal successor. Who dk you guys want? I'm an Arsenal fan but I think Moyes would be the best choice. Yes Mourinho is good but he'll be out of the door in two or three years whereas Moyes will stick around.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3498
Football Stats Live® ‏@SocaStats 2m
1,198 managers have been employed by football league clubs since Sir Alex Ferguson took over at Manchester United.

Amazing.

BBC Sporf ‏@BBCSporf 8m
BREAKING: In honour of Sir Alex Ferguson retiring, all Premier League clubs will play an additional 5 minutes of added time this weekend.

:rofl2:
Reply 3499
1986 - Where it all began..(before many of us were even born!!)

Latest