The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Freshers week 2013 (Underage students)

Hi there, I have happily accepted my offer from Edinburgh and cannot wait to start, however like many students, I will be under 18 upon beginning my course. I was wondering if this will be somewhat of a spoiler during freshers week, or do they allow underage students into venues - providing they are unable to drink? (By marking them with stamps or bands as other universities have done previously) Basically, how are things worked that week? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Cpt.Darling
Hi there, I have happily accepted my offer from Edinburgh and cannot wait to start, however like many students, I will be under 18 upon beginning my course. I was wondering if this will be somewhat of a spoiler during freshers week, or do they allow underage students into venues - providing they are unable to drink? (By marking them with stamps or bands as other universities have done previously) Basically, how are things worked that week? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

You can get into any union venue with a student card, you don't need to be 18. Some events will have a stamp or something similar for under 18's. Societies will also hold plenty of events where they serve some alcohol.

There are also plenty of non-alcohol related events! (amazingly...)
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
This is so reassuring...I'll turn 17 a week or so before the start of Freshers' and was scared I would be sitting alone in my flat all week!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was at Strathclyde when I was 17 and Fresher's is fine. It's not all about drinking although I go out a lot. But there's fresher fair and meet ups and tours and such. Also our union let you in with your student card. We just didn't get a coloured band. I would presume Ed will be similar.
Reply 4
Original post by Caity13
This is so reassuring...I'll turn 17 a week or so before the start of Freshers' and was scared I would be sitting alone in my flat all week!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can still go to all the parties and stuff, they just won't serve you alcohol in any official place...
Reply 5
Original post by Caity13

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same, I'll be 17 about a 3 weeks before freshers worried I'll be sitting lonely in my flat every Friday/Saturday night :wink:
Reply 6
Original post by CarlyR
Same, I'll be 17 about a 3 weeks before freshers worried I'll be sitting lonely in my flat every Friday/Saturday night :wink:

We should have an underage party :L I'm glad that there will be more people like me ^.^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by steph.b
You can still go to all the parties and stuff, they just won't serve you alcohol in any official place...

Thank you, I wasn't sure because at my boyfriend's uni, he has been kicked out of a few places for being under 18, I'm glad that Edinburgh is a bit more accepting :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
As a side note, does anyone know what day Freshers' starts and when we should be in accommodation by?
Reply 9
Original post by Caity13
We should have an underage party :L I'm glad that there will be more people like me ^.^

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a great plan :P :L same I'm pleasantly surprised by the number of younger people :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by weddlaaa
As a side note, does anyone know what day Freshers' starts and when we should be in accommodation by?

I think moving into halls is 7&8th September and fresher's starts on the 9th :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by weddlaaa

We move in on September 7-8 and Freshers' week starts on September 9 I think :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12

Hey, I'm just finishing my first year at Edinburgh Uni and I'm still 17! Last year I had a brilliant freshers week. You just need to show your student card or Freshers Pass if you've bought one to get into Potterow and Teviot, which are where all the main events (EUSA club nights, Freshers Ball) take place. People who are 18 show their ID and get a wristband. I would say to you to consider getting a freshers pass because I know we didn't get our student cards until the Wednesday during Freshers week.
I'd say the only issue I did have during freshers week was a lot of societies go on pub crawls during Freshers week.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Caity13

Posted from TSR Mobile

What subject are you doing?
Reply 14
Original post by CarlyR
What subject are you doing?

Linguistics and Social Anthropology, provided that I get the grades :smile: you?
Reply 15
Original post by Caity13
Linguistics and Social Anthropology, provided that I get the grades :smile: you?

That sounds interesting I was gonna do Law and Social Anthropology but then I did Spanish at school so I'm doing Law and Spanish (hopefully :wink: )
Reply 16
Original post by CarlyR
That sounds interesting I was gonna do Law and Social Anthropology but then I did Spanish at school so I'm doing Law and Spanish (hopefully :wink: )

Spanish is so lovely. I study French and Spanish at school at the moment and I'm considering taking one of them as my extra 40 credits at Edinburgh :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Caity13
Spanish is so lovely. I study French and Spanish at school at the moment and I'm considering taking one of them as my extra 40 credits at Edinburgh :smile:

I love languages (particularly spanish ) :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Caity13
Thank you, I wasn't sure because at my boyfriend's uni, he has been kicked out of a few places for being under 18, I'm glad that Edinburgh is a bit more accepting :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well you can't go to clubs and stuff but the University Union will have a lot of events plus there will be plenty of flatparties! :smile:)
Reply 19

Hey I have also got an offer from Edinburgh. I was wondering if anyone can advise on what type of clothes girls wear for the first day if uni? And during lectures etc. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending