The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3640
Its gonna be weird seeing the team play and Fergie not in the sidelines shouting the odds to the players and officials

The best memory I have of him is during the real madrid match when he was acting cheerleader using the fans to counteract the red card, a slightly sad day but im not sad enough to cry
Original post by River85
Doing a YouGov survey on SAF.

One of the questions, "who do you think was his worst signing". One of the options being Forlan, which in itself is rage worthy (for me) but his name is spelt as Forlon :laugh: At first I thought it was a deliberate pun (forlorn).

Another option is De Gea. That's even more rage inducing. Fortune and Hargreaves are bad enough.

De Gea?!?! What?! :rant:

Surely Djemba-Djemba/Kleberson/Bebé? :p:
Original post by Champagne Supernova

Gotta be Dong for me!
Reply 3643
Just saw this:

:mmm:

Also, just wondering - is there anyone who wouldn't want Mourinho at the club simply on the basis that it, y'know, feels a bit wrong? :o:
Oberton (sic) and Cryff (sic) were also listed. Seemed a bit rushed, to be honest. I mean, Cruyff is only one of the most famous names in world football.

Original post by Champagne Supernova

Yeah, would be bad enough naming him this time last year, considering his age and potential, but after the season he's had?

I went for Bebé, but it could have been any from a list of about five. Same with best signing.

Luke Chadwick was also an option for worst signing, which is a bit inaccurate as, being a product of the youth team, he wasn't a "signing" as such.

Poborksy was another which I also think is a bit harsh. Played a role in the title winning side of 96-97, and had some technical ability, but just couldn't compete with a rising Beckham.
Reply 3645
I don't want Mou or Moyes in a sense, I see them as Chelsea and Everton managers in the same way I kind of still see RVP as a Arsenal man and Ronaldo a United man. For me Klopp is the ideal candidate he'd take on the role in a new light for a lot of the fans who don't watch much german football and bring in talented new German players whilst playing a very fine style, I cannot believe that out of all the candidates we've mentioned over the years that Moyes will be the one to take over, he was always the guy that we put in contention but never even second choice for most, and we could miss out on a great young manager in Klopp, who may be a CL winner, however if Moyes is the manager then he will have my backing as long as he does all he can for the club.
Original post by Abiraleft

Also, just wondering - is there anyone who wouldn't want Mourinho at the club simply on the basis that it, y'know, feels a bit wrong? :o:

Not on the basis that it just "feels a bit wrong", no. He wouldn't be my first choice for reasons probably already mentioned here, and previously by Sir Bobby C, that with Mourinho it is all about the ego and also childish petulance that we've seen at Real Madrid. It's not what I want to see from my club's manager.

SAF's watch tapping was borderline. Eye poking is just disgraceful.

Whether he'd be able to change, have less of the ego and the soap opera stuff getting in the way of the club, but then that wouldn't be Mourinho.
Reply 3647
Original post by River85

One of the questions, "who do you think was his worst signing". One of the options being Forlan, which in itself is rage worthy (for me) but his name is spelt as Forlon :laugh: At first I thought it was a deliberate pun (forlorn).

Another option is De Gea. That's even more rage inducing. Fortune and Hargreaves are bad enough.

Have you not been watching any matches since the second half of last season?
Well confirmed it's moyes. Is he bloody scouting Bale already?
Original post by River85

Forgotten Veron? :teeth:
Original post by River85
Oberton (sic) and Cryff (sic) were also listed. Seemed a bit rushed, to be honest. I mean, Cruyff is only one of the most famous names in world football.

Yeah, would be bad enough naming him this time last year, considering his age and potential, but after the season he's had?

I went for Bebé, but it could have been any from a list of about five. Same with best signing.

Luke Chadwick was also an option for worst signing, which is a bit inaccurate as, being a product of the youth team, he wasn't a "signing" as such.

Poborksy was another which I also think is a bit harsh. Played a role in the title winning side of 96-97, and had some technical ability, but just couldn't compete with a rising Beckham.

Agreed, De Gea being mentioned is a poor decision. He's in most pundit's team of the year!!

Whilst Chadwick wasn't our best player, he still had passion for the club. As you say he came through the ranks.

Porborsky mention is very harsh! Especially if you consider how good he was on Fifa 98 :awesome:
Reply 3651
BBC Sports Editor David Bond: "David Moyes is set to be appointed as Sir Alex Ferguson's successor at Manchester United. An announcement could be made tomorrow afternoon."
Reply 3652
Original post by River85
Not on the basis that it just "feels a bit wrong", no. He wouldn't be my first choice for reasons probably already mentioned here, and previously by Sir Bobby C, that with Mourinho it is all about the ego and also childish petulance that we've seen at Real Madrid. It's not what I want to see from my club's manager.

SAF's watch tapping was borderline. Eye poking is just disgraceful.

Whether he'd be able to change, have less of the ego and the soap opera stuff getting in the way of the club, but then that wouldn't be Mourinho.

Oh, that's close to what I meant. :o: I was trying to ask whether people didn't disapprove of Mourinho coming in due to (i) the sort of antics you've mentioned and (ii) his Chelsea history despite him being the most accredited of the rumoured contenders.
Original post by qasidb
Have you not been watching any matches since the second half of last season?

These were options put forward by the survey, not by me. I thought that was quite obvious, especially as I called the inclusion of De Gea and Forlan rage inducing?

To say that De Gea or Forlan are even near the level of Milne and Bebe is just laughable.

Original post by Mr Smurf
Forgotten Veron? :teeth:

I haven't, no, and neither did the survey. He was listed as an option.

These were the options that I can remember.

Spoiler

I don't think Veron was that bad, though admittedly pricey. He was an excellent player, just not as well suited to the English game as we hoped he would be and his strength at free kicks was quite redundant with Beckham in the team. Still put in some good performances, and was salivating in one or two European games. I can accept him being put forward as an option, however, but not De Gea and Forlan.
Reply 3654
Original post by River85
These were options put forward by the survey, not by me. I thought that was quite obvious, especially as I called the inclusion of De Gea and Forlan rage inducing?

My mistake, sorry. But those options put by the survey are ridiculous then.
Reply 3655
"David Moyes is set to be new Manchester United manger"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22453895
Reply 3656
Do you think Moyes will employ his 4-5-1 here or go with 4-4-2.
OptaJoe: ' The only British team Manchester United have faced under Sir Alex Ferguson but never beaten was Southend United. '

Anyway, on the subject of Moyes, I think it is not a bad potential appointment. I think with him in charge and SAF as a DOF, it could be a pretty smooth transistion. I think he is likely to be there long term and will do well at bring younger players to play at their top potential, he is also quite astute at signings. I am not sure how he'd fair in Europe tbh as he hasn't been tested and I am a little worried about his record against the top teams, however, our squad is not only better but also larger which will mean he is able to rotate which couldn't really happen at Everton due to their small squad size. In addition, I think Moyes and SAF relationship would be helpful in the further development and with Giggs/Scholes as potential coaches a great way to keep the methodology/ mentality in the younger players.
Original post by pinda.college
It's a disgusting creature that irritates anyone in it's presence, the thing next to it is a Mole Rat.

ohhh classs (y)
Reply 3659
Not the happiest with Moyes but hope he proves me wrong, honestly not expecting anything more than 2nd in the league next year.

Latest