The Student Room Group

Nuffield placement 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
thank you! I guess it depends on which uni you applied to...the interview was rather pointless :|
oh haha, it was at Coventry University. I didn't write a letter to a uni like you did Parente, I just sent off my Nuffield application and then got an interview. I now have to get in contact with unis in my area to try and find a placement! Fingers crossed :smile: Quite a number of people applied from my school so perhaps that was why we had interviews? We should be finding out from them some time soon
Reply 22
Original post by Edison'sWords
oh haha, it was at Coventry University. I didn't write a letter to a uni like you did Parente, I just sent off my Nuffield application and then got an interview. I now have to get in contact with unis in my area to try and find a placement! Fingers crossed :smile: Quite a number of people applied from my school so perhaps that was why we had interviews? We should be finding out from them some time soon

I was at Coventry! my interview didn't take place until 3 though cuz of some delay..could've seen u there Edison'sWords. PM me your name? :smile:
Has anyone from Northern Ireland heard anything yet?
Reply 24
Original post by Edison'sWords
Oh hehe I'm in year 12:wink:
It wasn't as I expected it to be but it was okay I guess :smile:

Hi,
I have got an interview in a couple of weeks. Would you be able to tell me the sort of questions they asked you.

Any help is greatly appreciated. :smile:
I found the place for my Nuffield placement in Genetic Skin Dieasease Screening but doesn't mean I am going to get it. Anyone in Cardiff heard anything?
Reply 26
Does anyone know the sort of questions they ask you at the interview?
Any help is much appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Hi I did a nuffield placement last year and it was really good :biggrin: i hope you all love it as it is a fantastic opportunity :smile:! You can inbox me any questions that you have regarding the project, report or presentation that you might have if it helps as I know while I was doing it I would have liked to have spoken to a past student to find out what to do :smile:! Good luck to anyone still waiting on being offered a bursary :smile:
Original post by J Dizzle
Hi I did a nuffield placement last year and it was really good :biggrin: i hope you all love it as it is a fantastic opportunity :smile:! You can inbox me any questions that you have regarding the project, report or presentation that you might have if it helps as I know while I was doing it I would have liked to have spoken to a past student to find out what to do :smile:! Good luck to anyone still waiting on being offered a bursary :smile:

got any idea when we'll find out where are placements are? I heard I got a place aaages ago but I didn't have an interview or whatever. I just dont know what Im actually gonna be doing :L
Reply 29
Original post by BayHarborButcher
got any idea when we'll find out where are placements are? I heard I got a place aaages ago but I didn't have an interview or whatever. I just dont know what Im actually gonna be doing :L

I got given my bursary placement in May and told about it via a phone call. Then there was an email that was sent to me explaining what the project was about (electrochemistry) and who my mentor was. I didn't have an interview for my project, though i did go in to meet my mentor and discuss working hours. I imagine you should find out soon but if not then email one of the staff members!
Reply 30

Hi. Glad you enjoyed it. :biggrin: I got a place and was just wondering did you choose what your research was on? and What were the sort of questions asked at the meeting?
Reply 31
Original post by kurt123
Hi. Glad you enjoyed it. :biggrin: I got a place and was just wondering did you choose what your research was on? and What were the sort of questions asked at the meeting?

No I did not choose, I was informed of the research task before I confirmed it, however my mentor was the one who chose what research I did. I was measuring the varying voltages and currents measured when producing basic photovoltaic cells in several different ways, so I had flexibility in that I could choose various different factors associated with its construction to change :smile: but yeah it was really good anyway! haha

I didn't have an interview for mine, they just gave me the placement :smile: however when i first met with my mentor we discussed the times when i could work and which weeks/how long i'd be working. He also explained more around the project to me :smile:.
Reply 32
No I did not choose, I was informed of the research task before I confirmed it, however my mentor was the one who chose what research I did. I was measuring the varying voltages and currents measured when producing basic photovoltaic cells in several different ways, so I had flexibility in that I could choose various different factors associated with its construction to change :smile: but yeah it was really good anyway! haha

I didn't have an interview for mine, they just gave me the placement :smile: however when i first met with my mentor we discussed the times when i could work and which weeks/how long i'd be working. He also explained more around the project to me :smile:.

Thanks for the reply. That sounds really interesting. Was it related to physics then?
How many days was it a week. Atm, all I've been told is that it is for 4 weeks
Reply 33
Original post by kurt123
Thanks for the reply. That sounds really interesting. Was it related to physics then?
How many days was it a week. Atm, all I've been told is that it is for 4 weeks

Well it was classed as Physical Chemistry :smile: so it was really more to do with the chemistry side of the research. It was ironic though because I applied for Biology as that was my best science at AS level so i felt i'd get more chance of receiving a placement, however I am very pleased it was Physical Chemistry as I liked Chemistry alot anyway! for me it was monday-->friday every week for 4 weeks :smile:
Reply 34
Well it was classed as Physical Chemistry :smile: so it was really more to do with the chemistry side of the research. It was ironic though because I applied for Biology as that was my best science at AS level so i felt i'd get more chance of receiving a placement, however I am very pleased it was Physical Chemistry as I liked Chemistry alot anyway! for me it was monday-->friday every week for 4 weeks :smile:

Super! Thanks for all the help. :biggrin:
Reply 35
Original post by Disney Doctor
Has anyone from Northern Ireland heard anything yet?

I found out yesterday that I got a placement in Queens in translational bioinformatics from 1st July- 26th:smile:
Reply 36
Hi, I am nearing the end of my Nuffield Placement and hoping to start the report very soon. Does anyone who has completed their placement have a copy of their report I could look over.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending