The Student Room Group

I really messed up

Scroll to see replies

I think at this point you need to be a little realistic. You haven't revised so far, so you're never going to be able to pass your exams with flying colours. But it's never too late until you get into the exam to learn SOMETHING, so why not look at what your later exams are and work on the subjects that give you the most time. Maybe you won't be able to get FM done, but it's looking like you're going to have to do that next year anyway, so concentrate on something that you CAN do, and then at least you have one or two A Levels behind you and sorted out.

That being said, if this is the fourth time you've attempted them it doesn't really sound as though it's something you're enjoying all that much. Are you sure it's for you? Would you be better doing a job that didn't require A Levels or a degree but with the chance to work your way up? Or even not working your way up if you don't want to! Or could you do an apprenticeship or something that allowed you entry with your GCSE grades?

There must be something you don't like about studying. I mean, obviously all of us would rather not, but the majority do manage to get it done eventually. Maybe you don't like your subjects, or you don't understand them, or would prefer to be doing something else entirely. Maybe you don't have anywhere that you can work quietly, or you studying technique leaves a lot to be desired (well, you don't have one, but you must have studied something at some point). Work out what the problem is and then either fix it or try something else. Although I'd say it's never too late, I'd also suggest that life is too short to be doing A levels for 5 years!
Reply 21
I think the previous post pretty much sums up a lot of good advice, but maybe you'd find it a bit difficult to start off and get into the whole exam stress and study mood, so see if it helps you to maybe start studying with a group of your friends or people you know.

If you are already comfortable with group studying then that'd help you get down to the work and get some things done and out of the way, and if you prefer studying alone then it'd still help you to start off the work and get into the mood anyway....and it's better than trying so hard to start on your work and finding it difficult, or procrastinating more, or just feeling too nervous so that you can't even get any work done.
Good luck.
Reply 22
Thanks for all the advice

Self-study or going to classes - doesn't matter for me I never end up doing the work, I just daydream or procrastinate and before you know it it's the end of the day

I've decided to not revise for AS further maths exams and not go to them, so now I'm just focusing on maths, history and physics exams, it's much more manageable

I used to be good at maths and all of that, I even enjoyed it and got an A* in gcses. I managed to get a high B for C1 with a nights revision. Then everything went wrong and stayed that way

I think I can do this now if I spend all my days revising
Reply 23
Original post by messupl
I was meant to be studying since January, guess what I haven't studied a single word since then, I just sat on my computer all day browsing and procrastinating (I don't go to school and was supposed to be self-studying) but I have 14 exams. I also have fp1, s1 and d1 which I have never done before, so now I don't really have much time to study for them

I'm really quite depressed and kicking myself for letting myself procrastinate AGAIN, I did this last year, and the year before, and the year before, I have a serious problem...

Anyway my plan of action is just to go through the chapters examples and then go through the mark schemes without actually doing the exam papers but just going through the working out until I understand it.

I'm seriously worried about this and sort of given up hope.

People find it hard to study further maths in months! let alone less than a month.

:frown:

No more second chances, this is my fourth year of a-levels, I messed up.

Your life is over
Reply 24
Well you at least might aswell try OP! You should never give up if you believe in yourself. My A Levels weren't fantastic first time around - I ended up with DDE when I left sixth-form but I knew that wasn't a true representation of me. Two more years down the line and I should hopefully come out with BBD in August and I'm going to university in September :yes: Just don't give up on yourself if you know you have it in you. If you give up, you've fallen at the first hurdle.

Personally I believe the making of our own lives is how we respond to hurdles in our lives. We can either get back up, wipe ourselves down and keep going or just wallow in self-pity and get absolutely nowhere fast.

Don't give up OP :smile:
If you don't mind me asking, what are your grades from each sitting? I.e. A Level results from first attempt, then after your resit?
Excessive procrastination is a clear sign you're not engaged or interested in the subject you're doing. It might be because you have no clear target for the future so you feel the work isn't worth the effort, you just find the subject boring or you have no fear of failure. No fear of failure means no pressure. Yes you will feel a bit of pressure in the weeks up to the exams but that's because everyone around you is talking about it and you realize you're in competition and losing to them would be embarrassing to you. But free of this hype generation, motivation evaporates again.....

This is normal. I've experienced this. It's bad. It's fatal for your future and you will be condemned to a life applying for crap unskilled jobs, complaining about high immigrations and low benefits and suddenly find those 4 years younger than you being your manager when you're 25 and never catching up to them. Does this outcome concern you?

If so, find a tangible target. Find what you enjoy (or at the very least, tolerate) and aim to gain a career or job in that field. We can't cure disengagement. I've had it myself. I had to "cure" myself using the above suggestion. Only you can help yourself over come this. The highly cynical responses AND the mollycoddler "oh don't worry, everything will be alright, it'll go by itself, start a business instead" posts are equally useless. Only YOU and help YOU. YOU are the controller of YOUR destiny.

Log off, go identify a job or career you want your education to lead you to and revise. Just do it!!
Reply 27
Firstly Angel_k above summed up what I was thinking.

When I was younger I was a terrible procrastinator. The fact that I didn't really know what I wanted to do after my exams made it quite difficult to find the motivation to get on with studying. I ended up fighting through my procrastination disability at university studying a course I hated and managed to grind it out for a while but in the end I was completely miserable and left University feeling like a complete failure.

After a few months of bumming around from country to country I eventually figured out what I'd enjoy doing as a job. I returned to the UK and embarked on my new career working my way up from the very bottom. Within 2 1/2 years I was earning more than most of the people in my year who went on to graduate and had a job I really enjoyed.

My point is that we are all conditioned to believe that going to university is the only way to have any sort of a successful and happy life and it simply isn't true. If you find out what you enjoy doing and work hard at it you'll become successful no matter what that is.

Now, after working my way up to the top of my previous career it started to get a bit boring for me. I wasn't learning as much and it started to become a bit of a grind. During the past 10 years or so I was developing a growing interest in computing and electronics and decided that I would return to university 15 years after I first started, doing a completely unrelated course to my previous one. I start in September this year and am counting down the days until I begin.

What I learned along the way though concerning procrastination is this:

1) If you are a terrible procrastinator and never complete what you say you will then you probably hate what you are doing and should look to do something else.

2) If you are a terrible procrastinator but you eventually complete what you say you will then:

a) You may have a fear of failure that cripples you from beginning because you can tell yourself that in the end you only failed because you didn't give yourself enough time to complete the task.

b) You may have a fear of success that stops you from realising your potential because you don't want the added responsibility or enhanced expectations that come with success.

c) You are a perfectionist and because you can't accept anything that is below this impossible standard you become frustrated and overwhelmed leading to you doing nothing until the last minute.

These are all things you can work on. But you have to the take the time to decide whether you should be doing A levels at this stage in your life and if so why you keep sabotaging your efforts.

Now that you are in the situation you find yourself in the best way forward now is to study past papers and predict what questions come up every year, what are likely to come up this year and concentrate completely on them. Anything you don't understand Khan Academy is pretty good at explaining them.

Get these exams out the way and then have a think about why you are in the situation you keep finding yourself in and what you will do about it.

Good luck :smile:
Believe me, it's not the end of the world. Don't feel so down about it - perhaps you're more suited to vocational qualifications where you do more practical work? It's worth a thought. Anyway, do your best - if you don't get great results then just move on and find something else that you enjoy - it's not worth worrying about.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 29
Either troll or very, very stupid.

If not a troll, why would you procrastinate even more by focusing on TSR rather than studying?
Reply 30
Original post by messupl
my fourth year of a-levels

Wait what??
Reply 31
Get rid of your computer/internet connection. Get rid of any form of entertainment. A similar thing always happened to me. I'm three years behind but I decided despite how addicted I was to the internet and the computer that I needed to get rid of it. I stopped using internet for six whole months until all I had to focus on was my subjects. I wasn't looking forward to the next fb update or the update from my youtube subscriptions because after some weeks not even looking at them I lost interest.

I decided to use internet once more and gave it a shot for a week see how I did. I got back into the browsing and procrastinating but it wasn't as bad. I could have gotten better grades had I not gone back (obviously you have to use it for projects and stuff) but luckily I managed to get enough Ucas points to get into uni.

Obviously everyone is different, this is just what I did.

As for the four years? Don't feel too bad about it. The way I look at my three years is not as a waste but a time to mature. Think about it this way, in fifty+ years you could die four years before or four years after other people. So four years now getting through A-levels is not so bad.

If it's what you really want to do never give up.

Though A-levels aren't the only way anyway. As many have pointed out you could get an apprenticeship or get into retail and go up to manager? The possibilities are endless.

Good luck. Hope this helps. :smile:
Original post by T_x
Jacob :smile:, there's a way of saying things. To both of you: if it's the OP's fourth time attempting A-levels and they have procrastinated wildly for months instead of getting on with it, I'm sorry but that shouts to me like there's a problem. Maybe it's not depression, but there's definitely something going on (even if it's just the ability to massively procrastinate) that OP needs help with.

Sorry but you think something some one says to them on an Internet forum will make a difference after 4 years of procrastination which was most likely full of his parents and teachers telling him exactly the same sort of stuff anyway?
OP:

What do you actually WANT to do? I feel quite lost too. I failed my first year of A-Levels, and I decided to quit Sixth Form due to me disliking the feeling of being "Forced to learn or punishment occurs" mentality.

I'm self studying my A-levels right now, but in all fairness, only because my parents what me to do it, and because I care deeply about how people think of me. But when I left sixth form, I felt a sense of freedom. I started doing things I enjoyed, such as playing the Piano, Chess, and guitar. During the Easter, I went to the Lake District to hike up Skiddaw in the snow, and neighbouring mountains.

Oh, and my failure for the first year was also a lot of procrastination. Even if I had nothing to do, I would just stare at the clouds from my bedroom window.

I don't know where I'm going with this, but what I'm trying to say is - what's your passion? If you were told that you can pick any job you want and you will be paid £150,000.00. What would it be? What's fun and enjoyable for you? I'm talented in Mathematics, and I was made to believe that going to Uni then getting a masters then getting a well paid job etc is the only way in life for me, but in all honesty I'm strongly considering joining the army for half a year/learning how to computer program/start creating Apps (I have quite a few ideas :wink:. )

By the way, you can always retake a 5th year, and KNUCKLE DOWN.

Do you feel depressed because it seems like people are moving forward and you're just not doing anything? I feel like that sometimes, but when I do I watch this YouTube video:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TXlrM2VPISQ

Every time I felt like not studying this year, I played that video. I got 94% in my C1 and 92% in my FP1 Mathematics modules in January. Before then, I felt destroyed. Just try. Set a goal, and go for it. You're obviously capable enough, you got an A* in GCSE Maths. If you're not able to get good grades this time round, there are alternatives. Also, the benefits of having great A-level results outweigh college courses and apprenticeships in terms of Job Prospects :smile:

You're still very young, it's not the end. Many successful people are successful because they are determined, not because of any particular course or field.

All hope is not lost. You're not defined by how you fall, you're defined by how you get back on your own two feet.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 34
Really horrible to see people telling OP they've screwed up their life. At least he/she has gone to the effort of trying to do something about it by asking for advice. Not getting A Level's is NOT the end of the world.

I'm not a big fan of the phrase "life's too short", but I think it definitely applies here. You've spent such a long time working towards goals that you're consistently not reaching, I'd find that in itself demotivating to the point where I didn't even want to be trying to achieve anymore; so good for you for actually wanting to get this sorted! I think what you've done with prioritizing your subjects is a good idea, I hope it works out for you. Personally, If I were you and I didn't get the grades this time around, I'd look around for other things to do. A Level's aren't for you? That's fine. Find something that is.

Good luck though, where there's a will there's a way :smile:.
Reply 35
I had to re sit year 12 for this exact same reason, procrastination, and admittedly I am doing it now in year 13. It's getting To the point where I'm just sick of having been in sixth form for three years, but don't give up!When you get those great results it'll be worth it!
Reply 36
Original post by Quilt
Really horrible to see people telling OP they've screwed up their life. At least he/she has gone to the effort of trying to do something about it by asking for advice. Not getting A Level's is NOT the end of the world.

No, but failing to get A-levels for 3 years is pretty ... retarded, isn't it?
Reply 37
Original post by AeneasBK

That means I'm 'retarded' too. I went back a year after getting poor AS's and then my second attempt of sixth-form I still came out with **** poor A Levels. Doesn't mean the OP is retarded. He might not just have found what he's really good at yet or that the fact that A Levels actually require work has kicked in yet. Took me 3 years of failing and going through clearing to realise the latter.
Reply 38
Original post by Deyesy
That means I'm 'retarded' too. I went back a year after getting poor AS's and then my second attempt of sixth-form I still came out with **** poor A Levels. Doesn't mean the OP is retarded. He might not just have found what he's really good at yet or that the fact that A Levels actually require work has kicked in yet. Took me 3 years of failing and going through clearing to realise the latter.

Pretty much, though, right? I mean fail 'em once, fair enough you clearly weren't doing any work. Fail 'em twice, give up and find something more suited to you. Fail 'em 3 times? That's retarded.
Reply 39
Original post by AeneasBK

Not everyone's suited for school and exams etc! It doesn't make them "retarded", they may have strengths in other fields. A lot of successful people don't have A Levels, although useful they aren't vital. You can make it in the world without 'em. :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending