The Student Room Group

My parent won't allow me to move out

I'm 18+, employed...with a good salary.

I've had this gut instinct to move out of my family home. I want independency but I'm really really fed up on how my family treats the house.

There is just mess everywhere in the house. None of these things belongs to me. I asked many many times for my parent and sibling to move the stuff but they just think I'm moaning all the time.

I like to live in a clean and minimalistic house.

I told my parent about wanting to move out. But they say I'm only dreaming and fantasying... when it's not.

They prefer me to stay where I don't pay for bills, or food... I know things are expensive.

I don't understand why I should put up with living under so much mess. I'm also inhaling lots of vape smoke and the smell of drugs is always coming from my sibling room. I'm asthmatic.

I've tried everything, writing letters. I've asked nicely to move all their gear so I can live in a clean house.

This is really making me feel depressed. I've never invited any friends.

Any advice?
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 18+, employed...with a good salary.

I've had this gut instinct to move out of my family home. I want independency but I'm really really fed up on how my family treats the house.

There is just mess everywhere in the house. None of these things belongs to me. I asked many many times for my parent and sibling to move the stuff but they just think I'm moaning all the time.

I like to live in a clean and minimalistic house.

I told my parent about wanting to move out. But they say I'm only dreaming and fantasying... when it's not.

They prefer me to stay where I don't pay for bills, or food... I know things are expensive.

I don't understand why I should put up with living under so much mess. I'm also inhaling lots of vape smoke and the smell of drugs is always coming from my sibling room. I'm asthmatic.

I've tried everything, writing letters. I've asked nicely to move all their gear so I can live in a clean house.

This is really making me feel depressed. I've never invited any friends.

Any advice?

I've literally never bought a house so idk what the whole process is but if ur over 18, why cant you just get up and move without saying anything? Like slowly move ur stuff or take essentials. Ur over 18 and its affecting ur mental health, do what you think is right. They're clearly not going to change any time soon so its better if you find you're own place - even if its just a cheap apartment for now and then you can clear ur head and make the next step. idk thi
Your options appear to be 'Stand up to your parents and clean' or 'Stand up to your parents and move'
Original post by Anonymous
even if its just a cheap apartment for now

Ah, we don't really have those any more.... single bedroom private lets are through the roof, might need to share or thing of other options.
Reply 4
How are you parents 'not allowing you to move out'? You haven't shown that anywhere in your opening post.

You're an adult and can make your own decisions. Do some research, do the maths and move.
Reply 5
You're an adult now, so you get to decide where you want to live If you're not happy at home it's okay to find your own place your health is important, so you should live in a place that doesn't make your asthma worse or mess with your mood. If your family doesn't understand, it's okay. You can still do what's best for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending