The Student Room Group

Can't find a course: Arabic and ???

Im trying to find a university course which appeals to me. I definitely want to study Arabic; however, I want to study something alongside it, and am really struggling to find something. I considered Management, but it seems a little pointless to me, as do Business or Accounting.
Im looking at St Andrews, SOAS, Edinburgh, Oxford and a few others.
My AS Levels are Maths, Bio, Chem and Latin (predicted AABA)
Any suggestions are much appreciated!
SOAS or Exeter are your best bet. Or look at courses called things like Middle Eastern Studies, International Business etc that might give you a Year Abroad.
Reply 2
Original post by returnmigrant
SOAS or Exeter are your best bet. Or look at courses called things like Middle Eastern Studies, International Business etc that might give you a Year Abroad.

most arabic courses do have a year abroad anyway, but in my mind at least, the ones you suggested would just sound like pointless degrees to a prospective employer??
What exactly do you mean by 'pointless'?

A degree does not have to have obvious vocational skills like language study to be worthwhile to an employer. Degrees are not 'vocational training' - they are about learning to think. read, study at a higher level.
Original post by example96
Im trying to find a university course which appeals to me. I definitely want to study Arabic; however, I want to study something alongside it, and am really struggling to find something. I considered Management, but it seems a little pointless to me, as do Business or Accounting.

Exeter let you combine any two subjects via Flexible Combined Honours, so Maths and Arabic for example.
Oxford let you combine Arabic with Theology/Classics/another language.
Durham offer combined honours, where you can combine up to four subjects of your choice, for example Maths, Arabic, Economics, Theology. http://www.dur.ac.uk/combined.honours/inbrief/subjects/
Edinburgh have huge flexibility in the first year of the course, so you have loads of free options.
Cambridge offer joint degrees of Arabic + another language.

There are loads of ways to make unique subject combinations work, especially with courses which don't at first seem like they will work (i.e. they don't have an obvious name of "Arabic with X"). I had the same issue applying for Economics and German, and had to look for courses like ESPS@UCL, as well as the Durham/Exeter courses I mentioned above.
Reply 5
One of my friends has offers for Arabic and Economics at SOAS, Edinburgh and St Andrews as well as Arabic and International Development from Leeds which sounds like a great course!
Reply 6
Original post by Caitlin_dj
One of my friends has offers for Arabic and Economics at SOAS, Edinburgh and St Andrews as well as Arabic and International Development from Leeds which sounds like a great course!

Im thinking economics is the best option to compliment arabic, but i haven't studied it at as level - will that be a massive hindrance? and what kind of gcses did she get?
Reply 7
Original post by The Polymath
Exeter let you combine any two subjects via Flexible Combined Honours, so Maths and Arabic for example.
Oxford let you combine Arabic with Theology/Classics/another language.
Durham offer combined honours, where you can combine up to four subjects of your choice, for example Maths, Arabic, Economics, Theology. http://www.dur.ac.uk/combined.honours/inbrief/subjects/
Edinburgh have huge flexibility in the first year of the course, so you have loads of free options.
Cambridge offer joint degrees of Arabic + another language.

There are loads of ways to make unique subject combinations work, especially with courses which don't at first seem like they will work (i.e. they don't have an obvious name of "Arabic with X"). I had the same issue applying for Economics and German, and had to look for courses like ESPS@UCL, as well as the Durham/Exeter courses I mentioned above.

I've looked at doing Combined Honours at Edinburgh, St Andrews and SOAS. I'm not too sure about Durham - I've been fortunate enough to attend a private school, and the only people who I dislike are those who believe they are the better than everyone else. For some reason, it is exactly these people who all seem to be applying to Durham. Upon further research (TSR included), it seems that Durham does serve as a bit of a dumping ground for those very toffs which I can tolerate for little longer whose fathers' pockets just weren't quite deep enough to secure a place at Oxbridge (not at all saying that all Durhamites are such! I just think I'd much rather avoid these types of people as much as possible, and Durham seems to be their choice of lair).

I think I've finally decided upon Arabic and Economics - SOAS and St. Andrews want AAA, while Edinburgh's offer ranges from BBB-AAA. I'm applying to Oxford also for Arabic alone (Oriental Studies), and I'm not entirely sure about a 5th. Opinions on Manchester?
I've looked at doing Combined Honours at Edinburgh, St Andrews and SOAS. I'm not too sure about Durham - I've been fortunate enough to attend a private school, and the only people who I dislike are those who believe they are the better than everyone else. For some reason, it is exactly these people who all seem to be applying to Durham. Upon further research (TSR included), it seems that Durham does serve as a bit of a dumping ground for those very toffs which I can tolerate for little longer whose fathers' pockets just weren't quite deep enough to secure a place at Oxbridge (not at all saying that all Durhamites are such! I just think I'd much rather avoid these types of people as much as possible, and Durham seems to be their choice of lair).
I think I've finally decided upon Arabic and Economics - SOAS and St. Andrews want AAA, while Edinburgh's offer ranges from BBB-AAA. I'm applying to Oxford also for Arabic alone (Oriental Studies), and I'm not entirely sure about a 5th. Opinions on Manchester?

Manchester is good, yes. Will you get free tuition fees in Scotland? Either way, Edinburgh and St Andrews are good choices.

I would think twice about ruling out Durham, as they will offer you a perfect course structure with a year abroad too, as well as being able to take modules in any other subjects.

I know it does have a reputation for being filled with private school pupils etc. but if you were to apply for a college with a more state-school/friendly/unpretentious atmosphere, then you could be fine.

Exeter is also very good for Economics. Exeter and Durham allow you to send an *additional* and *replacement* personal statement respectively, meaning you could apply to Oxford with an Arabic PS, and then include Economics in the other ones. Lastly take a look at Bristol/Southampton/Bath etc. as often universities will offer "elective options" within a course, so on an Economics course at UCL for example you could still take language modules each year alongside your main focus.

Economics international programmes will also be potential options. Oxford, Durham, Edinburgh, St Andrews, SOAS is what I would go for.
Reply 9
Im thinking economics is the best option to compliment arabic, but i haven't studied it at as level - will that be a massive hindrance? and what kind of gcses did she get?

She hasn't studied it either, doing History, Biology and Maths at A level with Chemistry to AS. Her GCSEs were class though, 10A*s :biggrin:
Reply 10
Manchester is good, yes. Will you get free tuition fees in Scotland? Either way, Edinburgh and St Andrews are good choices.

I would think twice about ruling out Durham, as they will offer you a perfect course structure with a year abroad too, as well as being able to take modules in any other subjects.

I know it does have a reputation for being filled with private school pupils etc. but if you were to apply for a college with a more state-school/friendly/unpretentious atmosphere, then you could be fine.

Exeter is also very good for Economics. Exeter and Durham allow you to send an *additional* and *replacement* personal statement respectively, meaning you could apply to Oxford with an Arabic PS, and then include Economics in the other ones. Lastly take a look at Bristol/Southampton/Bath etc. as often universities will offer "elective options" within a course, so on an Economics course at UCL for example you could still take language modules each year alongside your main focus.

Economics international programmes will also be potential options. Oxford, Durham, Edinburgh, St Andrews, SOAS is what I would go for.

i think those are the five i will choose. as far as im aware, st andrews waive the fee for the fourth year for english students, but edinburgh dont so id end up paying an extra 10-15 grand there. i also hope to get a masters in financial or macro economics (lse) and then work in the city, so cost is a pretty important factor in the grand scheme of things. i suppose i'll just have to consider offers when i (hopefully!) receive them
i think those are the five i will choose. as far as im aware, st andrews waive the fee for the fourth year for english students, but edinburgh dont so id end up paying an extra 10-15 grand there. i also hope to get a masters in financial or macro economics (lse) and then work in the city, so cost is a pretty important factor in the grand scheme of things. i suppose i'll just have to consider offers when i (hopefully!) receive them

Consider the course structure too. Doing Economics&Arabic is already limiting your economics knowledge to some extent, and if I remember correctly the Edinburgh/St Andrews Economics courses are not particularly mathematical compared to places like Warwick/Bristol. That said, during your year abroad you could always study Maths at a foreign university.

That's why I'd suggest Durham, as you could do Maths modules too, and change the amount of Arabic you do.

Also, if you go to Scottish unis, then it'll take you five years to get your degree including a year abroad, compared to four in England.
Reply 12
Consider the course structure too. Doing Economics&Arabic is already limiting your economics knowledge to some extent, and if I remember correctly the Edinburgh/St Andrews Economics courses are not particularly mathematical compared to places like Warwick/Bristol. That said, during your year abroad you could always study Maths at a foreign university.

That's why I'd suggest Durham, as you could do Maths modules too, and change the amount of Arabic you do.

Also, if you go to Scottish unis, then it'll take you five years to get your degree including a year abroad, compared to four in England.

thats what i thought but apparently its 4 years at scottish unis too including the year abroad. also the scottish unis will allow me to take any subject at sub-honours (i was thinking latin but maths is a good shout). if i enjoy the sub honours more than my actual degree, i can switch the maths (for example) in for economics, and then take up computer science in my second year at sub-honours level. a family friend started with psychology as a main course with philosophy as sub-honours. she ended up with a first in philosophy having dropped the psychology completely! considering how frustrated i get without constant new challenges, i think a scottish uni may be better?
thats what i thought but apparently its 4 years at scottish unis too including the year abroad. also the scottish unis will allow me to take any subject at sub-honours (i was thinking latin but maths is a good shout). if i enjoy the sub honours more than my actual degree, i can switch the maths (for example) in for economics, and then take up computer science in my second year at sub-honours level. a family friend started with psychology as a main course with philosophy as sub-honours. she ended up with a first in philosophy having dropped the psychology completely! considering how frustrated i get without constant new challenges, i think a scottish uni may be better?

Are you sure about it being 4 years *including* the year abroad, as I'm not so sure about that.
Reply 14
Are you sure about it being 4 years *including* the year abroad, as I'm not so sure about that.

yep just had a look again to make sure, so wherever i do it its 4 years, just that i come out with an MA from scottish unis rather than a BA

Hey there,

I have an unconditional offer to study Arabic and Persian at Edinburgh starting September 2017 (on my gap year). From what I've seen at Edinburgh, one of the great positives of their university experience is the breadth of subjects which you can study. You do three subjects for the first two years, and can experiment with different ones.

In terms of matching with Arabic and your interests, these may be some helpful suggestions: Anthropology; this would be an interesting accompaniment to Arabic because of the focus on learning about the development of different societies and cultures, Persian is another option; although it's not a semitic language like Arabic it does use the same script system and occupies the other half of the Middle Eastern geographic area, any other language would compliment Arabic, politics is another personal favorite.

Quick Reply

Latest