The Student Room Group

OCR Core 2 17th May 2013

Scroll to see replies

Is it just me, or did OCR go crazy with integration questions in this paper- there seemed like quite a lot.
Tbh I'm just depending on the grade boundaries being low here...
Reply 22
Original post by JessicaKFletcher
The paper wasn't that bad, compared to some of the past papers we've done in class. Although, question 8(ii) about logs was a bugger! It was made worse, by one of the invigilators sniffing through the entire exam. So off-putting!!

This may be of interest to you.
Also see second page for worked solutions to the show that's :smile:

Welcome to TSR btw
:tsr:
Original post by joostan
7)ii) OCR not MEI is the question that the person I quoted was talking about.

Oh that makes sense now:smile:
Reply 24
Original post by lorobolorolo
Oh that makes sense now:smile:

Lol, you on MEI?
Original post by joostan
Lol, you on MEI?

Lol yeah and the whole time I have been thinking this thread is about MEI.
This is embarrassing. :colondollar:
Reply 26
Lol yeah and the whole time I have been thinking this thread is about MEI.
This is embarrassing. :colondollar:

The MEI Thread is here.
It happens to the best of us :smile:
Reply 27
Wow, I almost cried halfway through :tongue:

I'm aiming for a good A, and like everyone the integration and logs question were awful. I had to skip them, and somehow managed to get both of them on extra paper with 10 minutes left. I hated the fact you had to differentiate, haven't seen that in core 2 past papers up to this one. Apart from those 2, it was okayish :/
Reply 28
Original post by nich01as

I'm aiming for a good A, and like everyone the integration and logs question were awful. I had to skip them, and somehow managed to get both of them on extra paper with 10 minutes left. I hated the fact you had to differentiate, haven't seen that in core 2 past papers up to this one. Apart from those 2, it was okayish :/

Answers here.
Worked solutions to the show that's on the second page.
Reply 29
Original post by nich01as

I did cry halfway through ;L! I assumed we didn't need to differentiate, I attempted it but then crossed out all my workings in frustration.
Even though most of the questions were really typical and standard and there was nothing much out of the ordinary, I still found it really difficult for some reason. I've got strong As all the way through in past papers, but this time I don't even think I have a low A, probably better of me to hope for a low B. It sucks. Nevermind.

I couldn't do the area between the curve/tangent/a-axis because I had forgotten all of the stuff about using differentiation to find gradients and finding equations of straight lines, so there's about 5 marks gone.
The logs question was horrible, but then again they always are. I got some workings down but I couldn't logically make my workings equal to the expected answer so I just wrote down the expected answer at the end and am hoping for the best.
I don't recognise many of the trig answers in the model markscheme, so I may or may not have lost ~8 marks with them.
And to top it all off, I forgot to put +c on the end of my integration answers (and there were a TON of integration questions, what the hell was up with that?!).

Overall, found it to be one of the most straightforward Core 2 papers I've ever done (especially in comparison to January 2013, God, that was awful!), but because I didn't have my head screwed on properly it's probably going to turn out the lowest grade...
Reply 31
I thought the paper was fairly easy, apart from the log question which I think put off a lot of people.
Reply 32
Thought it was okay, much better than the c1 paper. But I'm sure a lot of silly mistakes were made /: plus the grade boundaries will be fairly high
that log q was very confusing.
Wait, why are people saying question 10??? There was a question 10 ????
Reply 34
Original post by givemestrength
Wait, why are people saying question 10??? There was a question 10 ????

No, don't worry :P
Original post by mcavengers
I'm not entirely sure if this is right, but I differentiated the curve and subbed in (4,7) to get the equation of the tangent, and then put in y=0 to find out where the tangent crossed the x-axis. Once you did that you could work out the area of the triangle made by the tangent, lines y=0 and x=4, and take that area away from the total area under the curve to give you the answer.

I got 1.23. Did anyone else do the same as me or did I make that up?

I tried doing that and it's so annoying because I freaking knew what I was doing, but for some reason I got the equation of the curve again (so obviously I made stupid mistakes, and then at the end I had no time to go back to it :frown:) and arghhh this paper was horrible! :eek:
Original post by Liberty.
I did cry halfway through ;L! I assumed we didn't need to differentiate, I attempted it but then crossed out all my workings in frustration.

Hey me too! Yay I'm not the only one who cried haha, just because I knew that I could do and just couldn't get my head around it because I was all panicky! Dammit! I had ma rosary and everything! :P
Original post by JessicaKFletcher
Is it just me, or did OCR go crazy with integration questions in this paper- there seemed like quite a lot.

Yeah! And I was all like "Ah yess integration; I can do this" *reads question -show that this equals this- "easy woop" *writes stuff down* "wait... this isn't right"
Turns out that I am an idiot and decided to put +1 instead of +x Aghhh!

Then...

*reads another integration question* ..."oh yeah you find the tangent equation and then integrate both cool cool" .... *calculates*...."WHY AM I GETTING THE EQN OF THE CURVE? WAHHH!*
Reply 38
Original post by Liberty.
Was this just horrific for my whole class, or was it just as bad for everyone else across the country?!

We all though the question on Integration under the curve & tangent didn't give us enough information. Not to mention the Logs question.

:confused:

how can you find this hard bro, its one of the easiest paper in C2, they do give you enough info, integrate both curve between[-4,0], then you should get 144-48=96
log question u need 2 use geometric sequence d=65(1-0.0170)^(n) then next part take log10 both side,and change d in to 3<
(edited 10 years ago)
Some of the questions were really difficult. For question 6, at first I didn't even know what they were asking. How were u supposed to work out question 6 part 2? The one about sum of infinity.
And question 10 took me forever, I just hope I made no silly mistakes....because it was just sooo long I basically had to nearly use all of the trig rules.

Yeah I was exactly the same questions six I didn't even understand and everything else took so long I didn't even get to read question 11 :frown: it went so badly!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending