The Student Room Group

Syria's alleged chemical weapons

There is not a thread on this so I am creating one regarding the alleged use of chemical weapons in Syria. This has came up recently and is on the news atm.

EDIT: OOC. I am appalled by Russia's and China reluctance which has caused gridlock for so long. I hope there is agreement for inspectors going into Syria. Assad must go
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Both Mozambique and Uganda strongly condemn the use of chemical weapons on the populous of Syria. We condemn these deplorable acts on towns and cities, and will not support any group who does use them, rebel or government. And by the looks of things at the moment, neither faction will be getting any support from both of us any time soon
We condemn the use of chemical weapons. Iran has suffered previously, first hand, the effects of such weapons during the invasion of our country by Iraq in the 1980s.

Iran would also like to bring attention to what she feels is a clear flaw in International Law. It can be legal for a government to use chemical weapons against its own citizens, but is always illegal when they are used against another nation. What are the international community's views on this?
Reply 3
It is not legal to use chemical weapons at all. I must point out the Chemical Weapons Convention. 188 States are party to this but Syria is non-signatory meaning it can ignore this.

Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons

Inspectors must go in and provide evidence

EDIT: there are 1.5 million refugees have left Syria and this can go higher according to the UNHCR, news item
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Morgsie
It is not legal to use chemical weapons at all. I must point out the Chemical Weapons Convention. 188 States are party to this but Syria is non-signatory meaning it can ignore this.

Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons

Inspectors must go in and provide evidence

EDIT: there are 1.5 million refugees have left Syria and this can go higher according to the UNHCR, news item

CS Gas is a chemical weapon. It would be illegal to use CS Gas in a conflict with another country.
[I'm North Korea now, to avoid any confusion]

The Democratic People's Republic of Korea is not party to the Chemical Weapons Convention and as such does not oppose the use of Chemical Weapons. We support the Syrian government in their fight. Hostile acts against their government should not be tolerated.
Reply 6
Malaysia too condemns the use of chemical weapons, which has impacted majorly upon civilians in Syria. The humanitarian crisis in the country over the past two years seem to have taken a new high with the use of these weapons, which is seriously damaging the livelihoods of Syrian people on an unprecedented scale. We urge the international community to acknowledge the fight against the extreme measures of President Assad's government.
Reply 7
Austria believes that the use of chemical weapons is not acceptable! Austria believes that military action is now justified to prevent such atrocities and calls for a co-ordinated assault against an enemy of liberty in the form of Assad.
Reply 8
THE United Kingdom thoroughly condemns the use of Chemical weapons having destroyedher own stock pile decades ago we agree with the USA's view that a line should be drawn on the use of them.
New Zealand condemns the use of poison gas on civillians
China whilst critical of the use of any poison gas will not comment on the matter.
Reply 9
Reply 10
Germany is absolutely appalled that chemical weapons are being used and agrees with her European neighbors regarding condemnation
Norway condemns the use of biological and chemical warfare in the strongest terms, and feels the use of such weapons by both 'sides' negates their arguments somewhat as to their supremacy, Norway is supportive of action against those who have used chemical weaponry in Syria.
Reply 12
South Korea condemns the use of chemical weapons. We hope the international community will now come together to deal appropriately the Assad regime.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending