The Student Room Group

Which looks better on a CV?

a)2.2 from a top 10 Uni, or b)2.1 from a Met?
I realise its not accurate to judge without subject etcetc, just which do you think?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Piguy
Almost certainly a 2.2. from a top 10 uni - though you will be cut off from a lot of jobs from the get-go as usually they're always a 2.1 or above, but then someone with a 2.1 from a met will probably find it near impossible to get one of those jobs anyway because of the status and reputation of the quality of the degree awarded from it (and more difficult subjects like proper sciences are usually not offered).

Also to get into a top 10 uni, these day's you'll need at least AAB if not higher at A level, so it will also be those grades vs someone who did terribly at A level, which will bring down the CV.

No. 2:2 leaves you virtually dead in the water no matter where it is from.

You'd be surprised how many Met 2:1s there are on grad schemes and in industry.

Also, very few employers give a damn about A-levels. They certainly don't put a massive amount of weight on them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
2.1 is better. Most jobs cut by 2.1 so even if you went to a top 10 uni you would automatically be rejected with a 2:2.
Reply 3
Are you guys serious? So you're saying a 62 from London met would look better than a 58 from Warwick? I find it very hard to believe that an employer would be that stupid and perhaps they should change the system of automatically rejecting a 2.2s if that's the case.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Olie
and perhaps they should change the system of automatically rejecting a 2.2s if that's the case.

Why should they change their system when it currently works fine for them?
Reply 5
Original post by Olie
Are you guys serious? So you're saying a 62 from London met would look better than a 58 from Warwick? I find it very hard to believe that an employer would be that stupid and perhaps they should change the system of automatically rejecting a 2.2s if that's the case.

Posted from TSR Mobile

the awful truth is if you get a 2.2 from warwick you probably should have worked a little bit harder.
There's usually some provision for rounding up a %age point or 2 to the next classification, dunno what it is at warwick off the top of my head.

The hidden assumption behind these threads is that you'll find it easier to get the marks at a lower ranked uni but I don't think that's necessarily a given.
Reply 6
Oh here we go. Hi grade snobs.

Throughout my time at university I worked solidly, and I do mean solidly. I am course to get to get a 2:2. Does that mean I did not work hard? No. Does that mean i'm not smart? No. It means that one of my weaknesses is that I cannot express my ideas clearly in writing.

I know plenty of people who have previous got 2:2's from 'Non-Respected' universities who have got well paid jobs by applying their knowledge, showing this in interviews. Getting a job isn;t just about being a top ten student, its about being able to apply the knowledge and skills you have got to a work place.

OP, chances are normal employers will look for the skills you have. When applying for a job it isn't necessarily what University you went to, its how you present yourself.
Reply 7
A 315lb bench press
Original post by T'archer
Oh here we go. Hi grade snobs.

Throughout my time at university I worked solidly, and I do mean solidly. I am course to get to get a 2:2. Does that mean I did not work hard? No. Does that mean i'm not smart? No. It means that one of my weaknesses is that I cannot express my ideas clearly in writing.

I know plenty of people who have previous got 2:2's from 'Non-Respected' universities who have got well paid jobs by applying their knowledge, showing this in interviews. Getting a job isn;t just about being a top ten student, its about being able to apply the knowledge and skills you have got to a work place.

OP, chances are normal employers will look for the skills you have. When applying for a job it isn't necessarily what University you went to, its how you present yourself.

I think you've missed the point of the thread entirely.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by LexiswasmyNexis
I think you've missed the point of the thread entirely.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry, got annoyed by the posts that aren't posted yet.

I would say one isn't worse than the other. If used to their full extent on a c.v both could get well respected and decent jobs.

I agree that intelligence is not simply defined by your academic credentials but when someone has fully applied themselves to studying and "worked solidly" but come out with a grade that is considered disappointing then intelligence does come into question.

When applying for a job it isn't necessarily what University you went to, its how you present yourself.

Applying for a job has nothing to do with presenting yourself. You do the latter after the former, i.e. after you have been invited to interview. Hence, grades matter a great deal because you require them in order to get the chance to impress in person.
Original post by Olie

Posted from TSR Mobile

It doesn't work like that - there are autofilters or pre-requisites, e.g. "Please tick to confirm you have or are expecting a 2.1", i.e. they will never see whether the Warwick graduate got 58 because their application won't get through or they simply will not be able to apply. For those employers that don't do this, they will evaluate other criteria such as previous experience. It will never be as simple as "this uni and grade vs that uni and grade".
Reply 12
Original post by Joinedup
the awful truth is if you get a 2.2 from warwick you probably should have worked a little bit harder.
There's usually some provision for rounding up a %age point or 2 to the next classification, dunno what it is at warwick off the top of my head.

The hidden assumption behind these threads is that you'll find it easier to get the marks at a lower ranked uni but I don't think that's necessarily a given.

You may be right, though I do find it surprising that employers would completely disregard the fact they managed to get into a top uni because they just missed out on a 2.1, but like has been pointed out, that's just the system.

And don't get me wrong, I'm with you there with your other point, as I'm at a relatively low-ranked uni myself (its not an ex-poly or anywhere near as low as London met but its not a russell group uni) and it does frustrate me to see people on here slagging off non-RG unis saying how you'll be worked much less vigourously and the marking will be a lot nicer, but I don't know whether this is necessarily true.

Obviously I don't know in terms of workload, but having looked at classification stats on unistats (for my subject that is), I get the impression that the marking at my uni won't too dissimilar to higher unis. At your Oxbridge and RG unis, the % of students getting 1sts/2.1s is high, around 85/95%, whereas when you look down the rankings, the % goes down, at my uni its a pretty poor 60% (and only about 5/10% get 1sts), as there are clearly more dossers here unfortunately and then of course you've got external markers as well that ensure there's no grade inflation going on. So it seems to me that people are getting what they deserve here, whether its the same at the ex-polys I wouldn't know though.
Reply 13
Thanks everyone, this is all very interesting.:cool:
I really don't feel which uni you went to makes much of a difference (I did go to a RG uni). Not that uni scores are or should be the be all and end all for employment. For me, the end result is much more important. So a 2.1 from a lower ranked uni is better than a 2.2 from a higher ranked uni in my eyes.
Reply 15
No. 2:2 leaves you virtually dead in the water no matter where it is from.

You'd be surprised how many Met 2:1s there are on grad schemes and in industry.

Also, very few employers give a damn about A-levels. They certainly don't put a massive amount of weight on them.

I'd take a 2.2 from Oxford over a 2.1 from London Met, and frankly anyone that wouldn't is a bit clueless. However that is an extreme example I guess.

As for 'very few employers give a damn about A-levels', that depends on where you want to apply really. If you're looking at grad schemes, you'll find practically all of the employers have A-level requirements.
Original post by M1011
I'd take a 2.2 from Oxford over a 2.1 from London Met, and frankly anyone that wouldn't is a bit clueless. However that is an extreme example I guess.

As for 'very few employers give a damn about A-levels', that depends on where you want to apply really. If you're looking at grad schemes, you'll find practically all of the employers have A-level requirements.

Very few grads get on to those big grad schemes.

And yes, that is an extreme example. I would say that both are pretty pointless..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Very few grads get on to those big grad schemes.

And yes, that is an extreme example. I would say that both are pretty pointless..

You think a 2.2 from Oxford is pointless? I can get on board with the Met one, but I think saying that about Oxford is a bit harsh!

Very few isn't exactly true, granted proportionally it's not the majority no, but we're still talking about tens of thousands of grad scheme places every year.
Original post by M1011
You think a 2.2 from Oxford is pointless? I can get on board with the Met one, but I think saying that about Oxford is a bit harsh!

Very few isn't exactly true, granted proportionally it's not the majority no, but we're still talking about tens of thousands of grad scheme places every year.

I said 'pretty pointless'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
I said 'pretty pointless'

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for quoting a slightly larger chunk of what you originally said. I don't really see the relevance to tbe question though. Are you just being stubborn?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending