The Student Room Group

Mature students in Leeds: advice please + how old is too old to live in halls?!

Hi
I have just been offered a place at Leeds Met. I am really excited about the course but a bit concerned that it might be a lonely existence socially.
The uni website seems to really focus on the youth and vibrancy of the city which is slightly daunting. I am at the "more mature" end of mature - 45 not 25 - so I am not really into clubbing that often anymore. I haven't found any mention of mature students on the website and so was wondering if anyone here had any experience of Leeds Met or the city in general?
I don't really know what to do about accommodation either.
I have been studying at Sussex. I commuted from home but didn't know anyone much over 30 who was in halls. I think most 18 year olds leave home to get away from their parents, so the last thing they are going to want is someone their Mum's age hanging around. My 20 yr old daughter has been remarkably silent in her advice about accommodation!
What do other mature students do? Do most people study at their home universities? If anyone has any advice about accommodation, either uni or private, experience of being a mature student in halls anywhere or tips about the city in general I would really appreciate hearing from you.
Thanks, Kate
Reply 1
Original post by k8k
Hi
I have just been offered a place at Leeds Met. I am really excited about the course but a bit concerned that it might be a lonely existence socially.
The uni website seems to really focus on the youth and vibrancy of the city which is slightly daunting. I am at the "more mature" end of mature - 45 not 25 - so I am not really into clubbing that often anymore. I haven't found any mention of mature students on the website and so was wondering if anyone here had any experience of Leeds Met or the city in general?
I have been studying at Sussex. I commuted from home but didn't know anyone much over 30 who was in halls. I think most 18 year olds leave home to get away from their parents, so the last thing they are going to want is someone their Mum's age hanging around. My 20 yr old daughter has been remarkably silent in her advice about accommodation!
What do other mature students do? Do most people study at their home universities? If anyone has any advice about accommodation, either uni or private, experience of being a mature student in halls anywhere or tips about the city in general I would really appreciate hearing from you.
Thanks, Kate

Hi

I do know from a friend in a similar position her uni had accommodation specifically for mature students you could ask if they this, also you can ask the accommodation office at the uni to put you in with other mature students as they should have accommodation like this they can recommend to you.
Reply 2
Thanks I will definitely be giving the accommodation office a call on Monday, I was just wondering what anyone else does.

Original post by jill7586
Hi

I do know from a friend in a similar position her uni had accommodation specifically for mature students you could ask if they this, also you can ask the accommodation office at the uni to put you in with other mature students as they should have accommodation like this they can recommend to you.
Reply 3
Original post by k8k
Hi
Thanks, Kate

whilst i didnt start uni as a mature student i can offer some tips:
1) The university website will be tailored for the majority of students who will be 18-21 which is why there isn't much for mature students
2) Being a fairly large city be rest assured that Leeds has a range of things to do for people of all ages
3) Most mature students rent privately near their university (whether its there home university or not) or go into halls or studios with postgrads/other mature students. At 45 I wouldn't reccomend living in halls with 18 year old first years as they will probally be noisy and have a totally different idea of whats fun to you.
4) You will probally have to make more of an effort to make friends as the majority of first years are fresh faced university students but equally it shouldnt be impossible and you shouldnt have to be lonely. Your best port of call is societies, some unis have a mature students soc and others are based around the kind of interests that appeal more to those looking for a slightly calmer lifestyle
Reply 4
Original post by jill7586
Hi

Thanks for the advice. I called the accommodation office on monday. Leeds Met currently have 2 flats with mature students in under grad halls. They don't put mature undergrads and postgrads together. I'll keep looking privately as well for now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending