The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 700
Original post by tiny hobbit
This exam question was far more extreme than the one in the textbook.

Alright but no need to be annoyed about it, it was contextualised data for one statistics test, it doesn't denote all women as less intelligent and it is just a question devised by an exam board. So you really shouldn't take it seriously
Original post by Robbie242
Alright but no need to be annoyed about it, it was contextualised data for one statistics test, it doesn't denote all women as less intelligent and it is just a question devised by an exam board. So you really shouldn't take it seriously

Perhaps it tells you something about the views of the man who set the question. The numbers didn't need to be that extreme to make a question out of it.

I much prefer the (quite) old M1 question written by a man about a man ironing. This provoked at least one letter to the board saying "our boys don't know about ironing".
Reply 702
Perhaps it tells you something about the views of the man who set the question. The numbers didn't need to be that extreme to make a question out of it.

I much prefer the (quite) old M1 question written by a man about a man ironing. This provoked at least one letter to the board saying "our boys don't know about ironing".

I doubt it went through his mind tbh, and it could've easily being a woman as well who set the question. It was an easy question, they made it easy because there were extreme differences hence why it was q2. Haha that sounds good, see they do manage to show it in other areas, I wouldn't denounce edexcel as sexist because one papers one question

Maybe they purposely didn't want to reflect the real thing so that students (fools to be honest) won't start guessing :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 704
This exam question was far more extreme than the one in the textbook.

I have to give credit to you tiny hobbit you are right. :smile:
Reply 705
Omg who cares, this is not a "men vs women" equality exam is it.

In the exam how do you even take time to be bothered about the content of the question - IN A STATISTICS EXAM omg some people are too touchy and pathetic
the very fact that some of you are more bothered about some apparent sexism in the exam rather than focusing on your other exams says a lot ( a.k.a your ****ing retards )
Original post by Fas
the very fact that some of you are more bothered about some apparent sexism in the exam rather than focusing on your other exams says a lot ( a.k.a your ****ing retards )

In my case, my exam-taking days are long in the past!
Reply 708
Original post by Xx4L3x
Omg who cares, this is not a "men vs women" equality exam is it.

In the exam how do you even take time to be bothered about the content of the question - IN A STATISTICS EXAM omg some people are too touchy and pathetic

War of the sexes ! Haha. lol
Reply 709
Just finished solutions to the other time zone paper. It was a lot harder. 4/4 of the other papers have been more difficult. Will upload in a bit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 710
I could be wrong but I seem to remember it was a woman who wrote the S1 papers and a woman who does D1. Not sure if it is still the case now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 711
Original post by teen1234
For q 6 if you used the big table rather than the little table, the values are slightly different, would you still get the marks?

I think, without checking MS, that you lose a mark. Not 100% though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You can't use the big table to check rounded values such as 0.1 or 0.01, any number close to them would be inaccurate.
Original post by maxtate
Some guy took a dump in his seat and it stunk our whole venue, imagine that -.- caretaker came in and cleaned it it was disgusting no one could concentrate you got off easy :tongue: but realtalks yeah I might redo cuz of that aswell there's not much you can do tbh :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

jesus lol yeah not much u can do :frown: makes my problem look like nothing
just gotta hope shiz that doesn't happen for other exams
The question was about the results of males and females in a STATISTICS TEST, seriously, was that really necessary? I read the question and felt irritated because it would take all of 5 seconds to come up with a different concept with the same data. I am sick of being told I am being overly sensitive, males have the great privilege to say that and shrug it off as sensitivity. It's not like they did slightly worse, they did 20 marks on average worse (practically half the score) which begs the question, why?! Anyway. It isn't a 'big deal' but reflects the insidious nature in which we deal with the 'differences' between men and women.
Original post by JinxedOut
The question was about the results of males and females in a STATISTICS TEST, seriously, was that really necessary? I read the question and felt irritated because it would take all of 5 seconds to come up with a different concept with the same data. I am sick of being told I am being overly sensitive, males have the great privilege to say that and shrug it off as sensitivity. It's not like they did slightly worse, they did 20 marks on average worse (practically half the score) which begs the question, why?! Anyway. It isn't a 'big deal' but reflects the insidious nature in which we deal with the 'differences' between men and women.

I really doubt they were trying to imply anything.. I think they may have wanted to make the median mark clearly different
Reply 716
My God, people need to calm themselves. It was an exam. People feel the need to induce an argument about race or gender prejudices in practically everything now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JinxedOut

here's why - females did significantly worse because they spent their lives getting pissed off about tiny little things which mean absolutely nothing in real life ( such as the context behind a statistics exam ) instead of working towards their other exams.

Wait , that's just you. kindly chill DOWN about the issue , if your so bothered go and raise the point with a higher authority and film it - i wanna see how badly they flame you for it.

Feminazi's honestly.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 718
I am trying to upload my answers to the other time zone paper. I keep getting a 503 error though

what is with this rep thing? 15000 views, 19 positives :rolleyes: but 4 negatives :s-smilie:
Original post by Arsey

Edit - what is with the negative thing, I don't have to upload these solutions
:confused:

15000 views (currently) 19 thumb ups :rolleyes:

i have to totally agree

Latest

Trending

Trending