The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1900
How is the English Literature marked?

Today was worth 35% - Right?
Thursday is worth 25% - Right?
I did a controlled assessment on Henry IV Part 1 - Worth 25%, right?

I assume the final 15% is a controlled assessment I did on The Crucible in Year 10? Is that right?
What are the predictions for Thusdays place poems?
Reply 1902
Did anyone do the second question on the crucible?:frown:
For part b of OMAM, i interpreted the question like how does steinbeck show the people who have authority on the ranch... i ended up discussing Curley and Slim; Curley as he attempts to manifest an illusion of power through wearing "high-heeled boots" etc, and starting fights... and I linked him to 'rugged individualism' and republican policies, Hoover etc. ... then I contrasted him with Slim and how he is revered on the ranch, and a true leader, and explained that... linking him with Roosevelt and the alphabet agencies... It didn't really cross my mind to mention the powerless members like Crooks/Candy etc. :/ what does everyone think?
I think I have may mucked up OMAM....for part b) I read the question wrong, I got the general idea but thought it was just asking about the important characters - not ones of different levels of importance. I therefore only wrote about the Boss and Curely....but I managed to write 1.5 pages on Curley. Unfortunately, this meant I struggled with context :/
Original post by Jack59

I assume the final 15% is a controlled assessment I did on The Crucible in Year 10? Is that right?

Today was 40%
Thursday is 35%
Controlled assessments are 25%
Original post by sarahrimington
It was tricky! Erm I can't remember exactly haha... I know that everything I wrote I related back to context. I offered alternative interpretations :smile: I wrote about the theme of loneliness and how there was repetition of the word 'eyes', which could signify the judgment of multiple people and outlining societies attitude - they automatically judge people with their eyes without knowing the person. The reader therefore can feel guilt and be moved by the emotion shown by Scout at such a young age.. Basically stuff like that! The list goes on haha, how about you? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

did pretty much same- with suspence etc. but not aswell as that! i think there was only limited things you could say about the characters+ setting in the passage. i was really stressing cause i had only 10 mins for part (b), what did you do for b? x
Reply 1907
Original post by Galileo Galilei
I tried to think outside the box, I hit the criteria for the grade I want but if I do not get it, mehh!

Me too but I don't think my points were outside the box.. I think you'll definitely get a solid A at least since your points sounds great :smile:
Reply 1908
Hi basically for my part B of the the extract question I misread the question so my answer was loosely related like I addressed the same themes but didn't answer the question explicitly but I was happy with what I did write. Everything else went well and I got A* in my coursework so wondering to what extent this will jeopardise my final grade? And how lenient they will be? Like will I get marks for contextual knowledge, language analysis etc.
Original post by sarahrimington
You only answer one of the two questions :smile: I answered part a.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh how sorry I feel for you.
If i said that eric is like robin hood,who stole from the rich and gave to the poor,would that be insightful??
Original post by Jack59

No, 40/ 35/ 25, books/ poems/ CA

What you did in Yr 10 is a language thing I think
Original post by allstar1996
For part b of OMAM, i interpreted the question like how does steinbeck show the people who have authority on the ranch... i ended up discussing Curley and Slim; Curley as he attempts to manifest an illusion of power through wearing "high-heeled boots" etc, and starting fights... and I linked him to 'rugged individualism' and republican policies, Hoover etc. ... then I contrasted him with Slim and how he is revered on the ranch, and a true leader, and explained that... linking him with Roosevelt and the alphabet agencies... It didn't really cross my mind to mention the powerless members like Crooks/Candy etc. :/ what does everyone think?

That's pretty much what I did! I just talked about Curley and his boots etc, I briefly mentioned the Boss. I didn't even write about Slim, as I'd just be repeating what I put for part a :/
Original post by Elm Tree
A lot of people did compass and torch in my school :tongue: They said I was silly to choose When the wasps drowned over Compass and Torch, but I felt that it was easier to give alternative interpretations when analysing their Mum's role. Since that's what you need to do to get higher marks :smile:

I did exactly the same too! My teacher said it was good to use. Phew I finally found someone else doing it :smile:
Reply 1914
Original post by Elm Tree
Today was 40%
Thursday is 35%
Controlled assessments are 25%

Hmm, why on earth did I do a controlled assessment about The Crucible then :confused: :biggrin:

Makes sense now. Thanks.

If anyone wants my predictions for what will come up in poetry, PM me. I have an excel for what has come up for each cluster and I'm certain they won't come up again.
For An Inspector Calls I did Eric and started really strong and it faded out :frown: OMAM think I wrote enough points for a but not that much and part b was SO GENERAL I managed to do 3 points on the boss, Curley and Crooks until I ran out of time. Definitely didnt get an A* but im hoping for a B at least.
Just realised that forever reason (lets blame it on the pressurised 'exam situation), I said "Capable" (in the Slim OMAM extract) was a verb. Will I get marked down for this?
Reply 1917
I did just over 10 pages in total, but I rushed it a lot.
Here are the points I made: AIC: Eric is nervous, there is a generation gap and they live in a rose tinted bubble of wealth while he does not
OMAM: Question A: The solitaire cards were upside down to him,he wore denim jackets..like the others, he is kind and understanding to George and Lennie
Question B: Water snake eaten, survival of the fittest, Curleys wife higher than Crooks, solitaire involves stacking, it was like the Wild West e.g. mob rule, no fair trials

Did anyone do the same/similar points, and are these imaginative and insightful enough?
Original post by ryanb97
so more people are logging in

lets re-post my post from a while back

TIME FOR POETRY THEN>>>

Ive attached PDF files for all the clusters in Moon on the tides...

they are good!!

you should know your clusters

C1 - C and V
C2-PLace
C3-conflict
C4-relationships

Im doing conflict...

here are a few links (will update) :

All of charachter and voice .. and all of conflict analysis :http://freeeschool.blogspot.com.au/

thats all ive got for now!

Ryan

Do you (or does anyone else) have a modal answer for the section a responce (I really need it)?
Original post by queenly
i did tkam! part a was annoying - i ended up repeating tension and suspense a lot, but i just tried to shove in as many devices as possible. ended up shorter than my other answers though. and part b i thought was pretty good? i mentioned the lynch mob, the missionary society ladies, the general prejudice and social segregation and how the town was making "baby steps" with quotes from atticus and miss maudie. so hopefully it went okay?

both pretty vague but i used that to my advantage to get a lot of stuff packed in.

did you do short stories anthology aswell?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending