The Student Room Group

Book to Self Teach A-Level Computing Science

Hi Guys,

I would like to take the Computing Science A-Level from this link. http://www.cie.org.uk/qualifications/academic/uppersec/alevel/subject?assdef_id=1104

I would like to know whether you could recommend a book so that I can teach myself AS and A2 Computing Science?

Thanks,
~LondonGamer
Hi,

you have a problem here. Most of the current offerings of A level Computing/Computer Science books are crap.

Out of the books that I have, probably the best bet is;

1. Understanding AS level Computing for AQA. Ray Bradley. Nelson Thornes 2004

2. Understanding A2 level Computing for AQA. Ray Bradley. Nelson Thornes 2004

3. Understanding Computer Science for Advanced Level 4/e. Rau Bradley. Nelson Thornes 1999

If you want something simple.

4. 'A' level computing. Pat Heathcote. Payne Galway. 2000

All of these are rather dated. [4] uses Pascal for the programming. Also in [4] the database theory is really weak.

5. Computer Science 5/e. C. S. French. Continum/DPP 2002.

I use to use the second edition to teach Computer Science in 1985.

If you are looking for a more up-todate book, the following are useful:

6. BTEC Level 3 Nationals in IT 2/e. Mark Fishpool & Bernadette Fishpool. Hodder 2011

7. BTEC Level 3 Nationals in IT (Core) 1/e. Mark Fishpool & Bernadette Fishpool. Hodder 2007.

Don't worry that they are for a completely different exam. They are at the right level and are much better than any current A-level texts that I have seen. You will however need to check the syllabus and pick out the bits that are useful.

In conclusion, you need to have a couple of books at least to cover the material you will be studying.
Reply 2
Original post by tonyhawken
Hi,

you have a problem here. Most of the current offerings of A level Computing/Computer Science books are crap.

Out of the books that I have, probably the best bet is;

1. Understanding AS level Computing for AQA. Ray Bradley. Nelson Thornes 2004

2. Understanding A2 level Computing for AQA. Ray Bradley. Nelson Thornes 2004

3. Understanding Computer Science for Advanced Level 4/e. Rau Bradley. Nelson Thornes 1999

If you want something simple.

4. 'A' level computing. Pat Heathcote. Payne Galway. 2000

All of these are rather dated. [4] uses Pascal for the programming. Also in [4] the database theory is really weak.

5. Computer Science 5/e. C. S. French. Continum/DPP 2002.

I use to use the second edition to teach Computer Science in 1985.

If you are looking for a more up-todate book, the following are useful:

6. BTEC Level 3 Nationals in IT 2/e. Mark Fishpool & Bernadette Fishpool. Hodder 2011

7. BTEC Level 3 Nationals in IT (Core) 1/e. Mark Fishpool & Bernadette Fishpool. Hodder 2007.

Don't worry that they are for a completely different exam. They are at the right level and are much better than any current A-level texts that I have seen. You will however need to check the syllabus and pick out the bits that are useful.

In conclusion, you need to have a couple of books at least to cover the material you will be studying.

Thanks, could you please tell me the difference between these two A-Levels, and whether it is possible to take both?

http://www.cie.org.uk/qualifications/academic/uppersec/alevel/subject?assdef_id=738
http://www.cie.org.uk/qualifications/academic/uppersec/alevel/subject?assdef_id=1104
Reply 3
Some specific institutes provide their own study material for A- Level computer Science, but if you want some specific books, then you can purchase basic books for all your subjects. "Understanding computer science" is one of my favourites.
Reply 4
I didn't even realise Computer Science had an A-Level, and I'm studying it at uni...
Reply 5
Original post by CJKay
I didn't even realise Computer Science had an A-Level, and I'm studying it at uni...

It doesn't, it's 'Computing'; not Computer Science.
Original post by Sinsevenln
It doesn't, it's 'Computing'; not Computer Science.

It depends on which board you are studying. Some call it Computer science, others call it Computing. What is more you will soon be seeing GCSE Computer Science.
Original post by LondonGamer
Thanks, could you please tell me the difference between these two A-Levels, and whether it is possible to take both?

http://www.cie.org.uk/qualifications/academic/uppersec/alevel/subject?assdef_id=738
http://www.cie.org.uk/qualifications/academic/uppersec/alevel/subject?assdef_id=1104

Given that they are very similar, and from the same exam board, I think you will find that you will be forbidden to be entered for both exams. I would go for Computer Science because it sounds better.
Original post by amuththa
Some specific institutes provide their own study material for A- Level computer Science, but if you want some specific books, then you can purchase basic books for all your subjects. "Understanding computer science" is one of my favourites.

Yes, although not perfect, it is one of the better books available. And, despite the fact that the most recent edition says "AQA", it should be useful for other exam boards as well.
Reply 10
Original post by tonyhawken
Given that they are very similar, and from the same exam board, I think you will find that you will be forbidden to be entered for both exams. I would go for Computer Science because it sounds better.

Thanks, would it be possible to take the same subject from two different exam boards? For example, a Pre-U of a subject and an A-Level in the same subject?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending